Beardsley thinks we aren't recruting well... | Syracusefan.com

Beardsley thinks we aren't recruting well...

from the Fizz... Didn't see this posted yet...

Here you go recruitniks!

http://orangefizz.net/2012/05/well-run-dry-is-su-lax-not-pulling-in-elite-recruits-like-it-used-to/

*EDIT: Freaking typo in the title thread! I hate when I do that!
I don't know what to think. There are a bunch of highly regarded freshman who never saw the field. Why? Given what the established players accomplished, or failed to accomplish, it's puzzling. Then there are the weirdo incidents. Somewhere around mid-season Powderly gets into a game maybe for the first time ever and, almost immediately, scores - to never be heard from again. What's up with that? I hope it wasn't meathead coaching ("Hey, you weren't supposed to take that shot!...doesn't matter that it went in") that led to his banishment to the pine. Just weird.

By the way, your piece on leadership elsewhere was spot on.

I don't know what to think. There are a bunch of highly regarded freshman who never saw the field. Why? Given what the established players accomplished, or failed to accomplish, it's puzzling. Then there are the weirdo incidents. Somewhere around mid-season Powderly gets into a game maybe for the first time ever and, almost immediately, scores - to never be heard from again. What's up with that? I hope it wasn't meathead coaching ("Hey, you weren't supposed to take that shot!...doesn't matter that it went in") that led to his banishment to the pine. Just weird.

By the way, your piece on leadership elsewhere was spot on.

Thanks... Was hopeful that this team had leadership, Timmy P & D, Megill, Eilers, etc., but its evident that it doesn't. As for Powderly, some of the better posters over on laxpower think he is a little lost in the rotation and is a tweener between a middie and attackman. He is certainly someone I was hoping would get more time this year. Hope he toughs it out and comes back, as there should be plenty of time available and open competition to grab it.

Thanks... Was hopeful that this team had leadership, Timmy P & D, Megill, Eilers, etc., but its evident that it doesn't. As for Powderly, some of the better posters over on laxpower think he is a little lost in the rotation and is a tweener between a middie and attackman. He is certainly someone I was hoping would get more time this year. Hope he toughs it out and comes back, as there should be plenty of time available and open competition to grab it.

Laxpower has some great posters and is a must read for SU lax fans. I think you both make some good points but OrangeinBoston nailed it in regards to Powderly and I actually mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago.

Powderly along with Walters, (to a lesser extent he has played more recently on the man up), Loy and a few others got some playing time a weeks/month ago seemed to do well and then totally dissapeared from the lineup. I am more then willing to give Desko a pass for this year but some of his personel decisions are real head scratchers. Why take so long to insert Wardwell into the lineup? Why did Lerman fall of the face of the earth despite Lamolinara struggling? Why do we keep playing Drew Jenkins at short stick when hes 5'2 and burned on a consistent basis? Its also odd that we keep running Barber, Lecky, Pratt and others out there when its clear there in way over there heads and struggling to do much of anything. Why not play Matlz, Walters, Rice etc and see what we can get out of them.

Laxpower has some great posters and is a must read for SU lax fans. I think you both make some good points but OrangeinBoston nailed it in regards to Powderly and I actually mentioned the same thing a few weeks ago.

Powderly along with Walters, (to a lesser extent he has played more recently on the man up), Loy and a few others got some playing time a weeks/month ago seemed to do well and then totally dissapeared from the lineup. I am more then willing to give Desko a pass for this year but some of his personel decisions are real head scratchers. Why take so long to insert Wardwell into the lineup? Why did Lerman fall of the face of the earth despite Lamolinara struggling? Why do we keep playing Drew Jenkins at short stick when hes 5'2 and burned on a consistent basis? Its also odd that we keep running Barber, Lecky, Pratt and others out there when its clear there in way over there heads and struggling to do much of anything. Why not play Matlz, Walters, Rice etc and see what we can get out of them.

Those 2 have baffled me too. Jenkins may provide a spark at the X, but he is a HUUGE liability as a shorty... Kid has gotten burned! Also, what is up with Lerman, when I asked this a month ago, I got the traditional, your not privy to practice spiel. Well, when it seemed Dom couldn't stop a thing, and BW was not yet active, why not go back to ML? Thats a trade secret I imagine we will never understand. Kinda like Fab, Edelin, and the rest of the Cuse's great mysteries.

This makes no sense:

SU might also be targeting the wrong guys. One of the biggest reasons Syracuse has struggled to win this year has been a pitiful showing at the face-off X. SU recruited sophomore Chris Daddio specifically to take face-offs after the departure of Jeremy Thompson. Daddio was a 2010 US Lacrosse All-American who graduated high school with an incredible .880 face-off winning percentage his senior year.

Recruiting the best HS face-off guy in the country is "targeting the wrong guy"?

This makes no sense:

SU might also be targeting the wrong guys. One of the biggest reasons Syracuse has struggled to win this year has been a pitiful showing at the face-off X. SU recruited sophomore Chris Daddio specifically to take face-offs after the departure of Jeremy Thompson. Daddio was a 2010 US Lacrosse All-American who graduated high school with an incredible .880 face-off winning percentage his senior year.

Recruiting the best HS face-off guy in the country is "targeting the wrong guy"?
Fair enough, but what happened to him after he arrived? You would figure that after a couple of years of college coaching and experience he would at least be serviceable. But he routinely gets eaten alive.

This makes no sense:

Could be though. 88% of his faceoffs against what kind of competition? I'd recruit the Section 3 kid who's winning 88% of his faceoffs.

This makes no sense:

Ya agree 100% on that, Daddio and Buhr were both big time all American recruits at the X, it just hasnt worked out especially for Daddio. You cant blame the program or Desko for that, the kid had a +.800 win percentage for christ sakes. I do hold out some hope for Buhr, true junior next year, fingers crossed.

Fair enough, but what happened to him after he arrived? You would figure that after a couple of years of college coaching and experience he would at least be serviceable. But he routinely gets eaten alive.

Daddio has several problems at the X but he actually does seem to win his fair share of draws, the problem is once he wins the ball he looks like one of us out there, no idea what to do with it and holds his stick out like its girls Lax. Of course he gets it stripped and the other team wins the draw.

2 Thompson Brothers and their Cousin might have made a difference . Chris Watson fauns all over them at Albany. Poppleton and the Tully Kid at Hopkins,The Army Kids. They could have made a Big Difference this year IMO

On Wardwell, he had an injury early on and I was told he was having trouble adjusting to college, both on and off the field.