Beat Dayton and Michigan St. | Syracusefan.com

Beat Dayton and Michigan St.

2-3zone

2nd String
and we can call this season a success

I didn't and no one else thought of this team as a 2nd weekend NCAA tourney team

I'm pretty content now frankly. I thought we would be a Bubble-ish team early in the season. The fact that they are in is great but they aren't built for a deep run, imo. It's a bad matchup but a W vs Dayton would be just a nice bonus for me.

I'm pretty content now frankly. I thought we would be a Bubble-ish team early in the season. The fact that they are in is great but they aren't built for a deep run, imo. It's a bad matchup but a W vs Dayton would be just a nice bonus for me.
Yeah I agree, sort of gravy from here on out though Dayton is a winnable game so my expectations are higher for that. I don't see us beating MSU on our best day.

I didn't and no one else thought of this team as a 2nd weekend NCAA tourney team

I agree that if we can make it to the second weekend, that would definitely be a success. However, not to pat myself on the back because half the time I'm talking out of my a$$, but I did say at one point that I could see them getting to the elite eight before losing. I still see that as a distinct possibility. We are a very dangerous team (unfortunately, sometimes to ourselves).

My bar is shoot at least 20 threes and make at least 45% of them in both games. Do that and we'll beat Dayton and have a really good shot against MSU...

My bar is shoot at least 20 threes and make at least 45% of them in both games. Do that and we'll beat Dayton and have a really good shot against MSU...

I'm not sure that's the avenue to success against either team. We'll have to shoot well, no doubt, but both teams play similar styles defensively. We'll need to move the ball, attack, and then make smart decisions when we attack on shots/inside feeds/kickouts.

The one thing that I do like is that Dayton is an average three-point shooting team (34.7%) and a below average free throw shooting team (67.3%). They also are a slightly below average offensive rebounding team, which bodes well for us. If we key on Cooke from the perimeter and don't allow Smith to penetrate, I don't think their bigs are all that good - especially with Pollard slightly hurt.

Michigan State is a horse of a different color - we will need to hit 10+ threes to even be in the game. They are ridiculous from three, rebound the basketball very well and play great defense. They're closer to a 1 seed than a 3 seed (but that's pretty obvious). Need to hope for an off shooting night and some foul trouble to their key guys.

Yeah I agree, sort of gravy from here on out though Dayton is a winnable game so my expectations are higher for that. I don't see us beating MSU on our best day.

MSU looks to be specially built to destroy the SU zone. If they get that far, I'll be watching with one eye closed. It could be a beatdown of epic proportions.

Oh just beat MSU? That's all we need to do? Cool.

Who exactly do you think this team is? We should all be grateful that our young players are going to get some NCAA tourney experience in advance of next year, which will be a high-upside team.

You can head back to the UConn board now...

I just want to see the guys play their best...if they play their best and lose then I can live with that. And personally I am expecting the 5th year seniors to rise to the occasion against Dayton.

It's a success. I called it.

MSU looks to be specially built to destroy the SU zone. If they get that far, I'll be watching with one eye closed. It could be a beatdown of epic proportions.

We will never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom