Before people jump off the bridge... | Syracusefan.com

Before people jump off the bridge...

Rocco

Watching you.
We were ranked #13 in the last regular season poll in 2003 (3/17/03).

This is JB a few weeks later:

c07-beoheim-nets-23-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

Anything is possible, especially this year. Might be the worst overall year in basketball in 20 years.

All due respect, but we weren't skidding on our arse into the postseason in 2003 nor do we have an offensive wonder NBA uber-talent that can carry this team on it's back...

All due respect, but we weren't skidding on our arse into the postseason in 2003 nor do we have an offensive wonder NBA uber-talent that can carry this team on it's back...

And also got waxed by in the BE Semi's by . So even if we get beat up in the BET, we could be just fine.

If this team played in that season's BE we would be NIT-bound right now. The competition in college hoops was so much better back then than the crap we see today.

That year had Dwyane Wade at Marquette, Henrich and that other dude at Kansas, Oklahoma had a really good team, etc... Even the BE was so much better back then, we had wars with Pitt, Georgetown, UCONN

College basketball has gotten so much worse in the last decade. The crappiness of college hoops more than anything we did is why we are even still ranked.

we never lost 2 in a row that season.

We often had 5 and 6 players scoring double figures in a game that season, we were a balanced team unlike this year.

Now that I think of it, how the HELL we're we only 13th headed into the tourney. Man, I forgot about that.

If this team played in that season's BE we would be NIT-bound right now. The competition in college hoops was so much better back then than the crap we see today.

That year had Dwyane Wade at Marquette, Henrich and that other dude at Kansas, Oklahoma had a really good team, etc... Even the BE was so much better back then, we had wars with Pitt, Georgetown, UCONN

College basketball has gotten so much worse in the last decade. The crappiness of college hoops more than anything we did is why we are even still ranked.

In 2003 the BE sent four teams to the NCAA: Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and Notre Dame. I think this is a down year, but last year's Syracuse and Kentucky teams would have been top 20 in any era of college basketball. The 07-09 national champions were all great teams. I do agree that 2011 and 2013 are horrible years and we'll probably end up with a craptastic final circa Butler/.

We were ranked #13 in the last regular season poll in 2003 (3/17/03).

This is JB a few weeks later:

c07-beoheim-nets-23-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

Anything is possible, especially this year. Might be the worst overall year in basketball in 20 years.

Get a life Jacket

True. On the flip side of that, I mentioned that anything is possible this year. Syracuse is having a rough year, but so is everyone for the most part. In 2003, Syracuse was a better team amongst many other very good teams.

I'm just trying to put things in perspective. Syracuse could make the Final 4, and could also get bounced out in the 1st round. Depends on which SU team shows up that day.

Now that I think of it, how the HELL we're we only 13th headed into the tourney. Man, I forgot about that.

IMO, we really didn't get a whole lot of respect throughout the regular season that year. It took a while for us to even crack the polls, and after we did - despite beating the likes of highly-ranked Pitt and ND in crazy fashion at the Dome - we still just made a very gradual ascent up the rankings. On a side note, that Pitt game in the Dome was insane, and we screwed them out of a #1 ranking for the following week (I think that would have been their first #1 ranking ever), thanks to McNeil's putback.