Behind Culpepper | Syracusefan.com

Behind Culpepper

SWC75

Bored Historian
From my SU football preview:

David Summers was going to go to Maryland, (our second opponent), but flipped to SU after their coaching scandal and Chance Amie transferred out. Per Syracuse.com, “is rated three stars and the No. 37 pro-style quarterback this cycle by 247Sports.com's composite rankings. As a senior at St. Joseph, Summers completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 2,631 yards, 39 touchdowns and 10 interceptions en route to being named Connecticut High School Coaches Association Player of the Year. He racked up 3,227 yards and 49 touchdowns during his junior year, completing 65.1 percent of his passes while throwing just five interceptions. Summers also logged five rushing touchdowns in each campaign. "I think one of the biggest things is he’s a competitor," St. Joseph head coach Joe Della Vecchia said. "That was one of the things that I found out about him early. He’s going out there to compete. He wants to win, he wants to be good. We talk about being great all the time at practice. He’s certainly one of those guys who wants to be the best on the field all the time."

His highlights: I love his ability to throw deep, even flicking the ball forward when off balance. He can throw fly balls or line drives equally well. His running highlights come at the end. He’s no Lamar Jackson or even an Eric Dungey but he does OK on the quarterback draw.

The newcomers for this year are:

Dillon Markiewicz is a 3 star from Texas, (which means he would have been a 4 star if he’d gone to Texas). He was ranked the #69 pro-style QB recruit in the country. “Markiewicz completed 72 percent of his passes for 4,187 yards, 45 touchdowns and six interceptions during his senior season. He also ran for seven scores” (Syracuse.com) I’ll take that, thank you. We out-recruited Boise State to get him, which says something about his ability. Here are his senior highlights:
Senior Season Highlights (12 Games)
I like his mobility, his ability to make decisions and throw on the run and his quick release.

Luke McPhail is a preferred walk-on from Massachusetts, who is a ‘pro-style quarterback’. He was “the fifth most productive passer in Massachusetts history in touchdowns (85) and yards (7,195)” and the “All-New England Player of the Year”, which sounds pretty good to me. Here are his highlights:
Luke MacPhail Senior Highlights
He’s got good size, can make all the throws, can scramble to buy time and throw on the run and runs the ball with determination and some speed. I like how his long throws have some air under them and gives his receivers time to run under them. He also hits guys in stride. What more do you want?

Jacobian Morgan is a 3 star from Mississippi, (Which means he’d be a 4 star if he went to Mississippi). He was ranked the #79 pro-style QB recruit. “As a senior, threw for 2,487 yards and accounted for 30 touchdowns (27 passing, 3 rushing)”, (Cuse.com). ““Jacobian is a born leader,” (his coach Calvin) Bolton said. “Outstanding QB with a strong arm. He’s very knowledgeable at this position. Syracuse found a diamond in the rough.” His highlights:
Jacobian Morgan Senior QB
He’s good at throwing the long ball and giving his receivers a chance to run under it. His short passes have a bit of a loop too them, as well, which is not always a good thing. The pace of the offense seemed a little slower than with Markiewicz, who looks like had has a better fastball. I didn’t see a lot of running in this clip.

Nunes expects all three true freshmen to redshirt this year. We’ll see…

He won’t be on this year’s team but Justin Lamson, a 6-3 210, 3 star from California, (which means that he’d be a 4 star if he went to USC), will be competing with these guys next year in race to eventually replace DeVito, who will be a senior by then, so I decided to include him. He’s rated the #31 dual-threat QB in his class. “He accounted for 3,576 total yards and 29 total touchdowns as a junior for Oak Ridge, completing 66.3% of his passes for 3,114 yards, 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Lamson added 462 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 134 carries.” (Syracuse.com) Here are his highlights:
Junior Season 2019
He’s certainly much more run-conscious than the others and showed the ability to create and make lemonade, (or orange Juice?) out of lemons. Some people compare him to Eric Dungey and that’s not a negative but my impression from the numbers Dino’s teams put up at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green that he prefers the Tommy DeVito type: a guy who will pick you apart from the pocket and occasionally burn you with a QB draw but who tends to avoid physical contact if he can to stay healthy. At least we’ve got the old Dungey playbook if we need it.

It will be interesting to see the completion between these guys over the next couple of years. It will also be interesting to see how aggressively the coaching staff tries to recruit someone more highly rated. Are they satisfied with this group?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rex isn't the answer those misses on the last drive were ridiculous.

One of the 4 FR should at least get a series vs GT. Hopefully Devito bounces back and plays well the next 3 at home. But its not just about him the WRs drop a ridiculous amount of his balls and he just doesn't mesh with the OL and compounds their deficiencies.

It as a huge mistake not letting Rex start the 3Q with Tommy coming back in if he didn't play well.

Have we even solved the mystery of if Summers is practicing or not? I thought he's been MIA.

David Summers was going to go to Maryland, (our second opponent), but flipped to SU after their coaching scandal and Chance Amie transferred out. Per Syracuse.com, “is rated three stars and the No. 37 pro-style quarterback this cycle by 247Sports.com's composite rankings. As a senior at St. Joseph, Summers completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 2,631 yards, 39 touchdowns and 10 interceptions en route to being named Connecticut High School Coaches Association Player of the Year. He racked up 3,227 yards and 49 touchdowns during his junior year, completing 65.1 percent of his passes while throwing just five interceptions. Summers also logged five rushing touchdowns in each campaign. "I think one of the biggest things is he’s a competitor," St. Joseph head coach Joe Della Vecchia said. "That was one of the things that I found out about him early. He’s going out there to compete. He wants to win, he wants to be good. We talk about being great all the time at practice. He’s certainly one of those guys who wants to be the best on the field all the time."

His highlights: I love his ability to throw deep, even flicking the ball forward when off balance. He can throw fly balls or line drives equally well. His running highlights come at the end. He’s no Lamar Jackson or even an Eric Dungey but he does OK on the quarterback draw.

Dillon Markiewicz is a 3 star from Texas, (which means he would have been a 4 star if he’d gone to Texas). He was ranked the #69 pro-style QB recruit in the country. “Markiewicz completed 72 percent of his passes for 4,187 yards, 45 touchdowns and six interceptions during his senior season. He also ran for seven scores” (Syracuse.com) I’ll take that, thank you. We out-recruited Boise State to get him, which says something about his ability. Here are his senior highlights:
I like his mobility, his ability to make decisions and throw on the run and his quick release.

Luke McPhail is a preferred walk-on from Massachusetts, who is a ‘pro-style quarterback’. He was “the fifth most productive passer in Massachusetts history in touchdowns (85) and yards (7,195)” and the “All-New England Player of the Year”, which sounds pretty good to me. Here are his highlights:
He’s got good size, can make all the throws, can scramble to buy time and throw on the run and runs the ball with determination and some speed. I like how his long throws have some air under them and gives his receivers time to run under them. He also hits guys in stride. What more do you want?

Jacobian Morgan is a 3 star from Mississippi, (Which means he’d be a 4 star if he went to Mississippi). He was ranked the #79 pro-style QB recruit. “As a senior, threw for 2,487 yards and accounted for 30 touchdowns (27 passing, 3 rushing)”, (Cuse.com). ““Jacobian is a born leader,” (his coach Calvin) Bolton said. “Outstanding QB with a strong arm. He’s very knowledgeable at this position. Syracuse found a diamond in the rough.” His highlights:
He’s good at throwing the long ball and giving his receivers a chance to run under it. His short passes have a bit of a loop too them, as well, which is not always a good thing. The pace of the offense seemed a little slower than with Markiewicz, who looks like had has a better fastball. I didn’t see a lot of running in this clip.

He won’t be on this year’s team but Justin Lamson, a 6-3 210, 3 star from California, (which means that he’d be a 4 star if he went to USC), will be competing with these guys next year in race to eventually replace DeVito, who will be a senior by then, so I decided to include him. He’s rated the #31 dual-threat QB in his class. “He accounted for 3,576 total yards and 29 total touchdowns as a junior for Oak Ridge, completing 66.3% of his passes for 3,114 yards, 24 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Lamson added 462 rushing yards and five touchdowns on 134 carries.” (Syracuse.com) Here are his highlights:
Junior Season 2019
He’s certainly much more run-conscious than the others and showed the ability to create and make lemonade, (or orange Juice?) out of lemons. Some people compare him to Eric Dungey and that’s not a negative but my impression from the numbers Dino’s teams put up at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green that he prefers the Tommy DeVito type: a guy who will pick you apart from the pocket and occasionally burn you with a QB draw but who tends to avoid physical contact if he can to stay healthy. At least we’ve got the old Dungey playbook if we need it.

It will be interesting to see the completion between these guys over the next couple of years. It will also be interesting to see how aggressively the coaching staff tries to recruit someone more highly rated. Are they satisfied with this group?
Do we have anyone physically big at WR who could realistically see significant playing time next year?

Do we have anyone physically big at WR who could realistically see significant playing time next year?

Again, from my preview:

Receivers
Seniors: Chris Elmore 6-0 288, Aaron Hackett 6-3 237; Nykeim Johnson 5-8 170;
Juniors: Taj Harris 6-2 164, (was 175 last year); Sharod Johnson 5-11 181; Russell Thompson-Bishop 6-1 234 (was 223 last year)
Sophomores: Luke Benson 6-3 233 (up from 210); Ethan Fischer 6-0 182; Ed Hendrix 6-3 220, (up from 208); Courtney Jackson 5-10 172, Isaiah Jones 6-4 200, Anthony Queeley 6-2 193; Sam Warren 5-11 202, (up from 180); Nate Wellington 5-10 190 (up from 177)
Freshmen: Damien Alford 6-5 210, Justin Barron 6-4 208, Steven Mahar Jr. 6-5 225, Maxmillian Mano 6-7 255, Trebor Pena 6-0 185, JaVontae Williams 6-0 203

A lot of people are excited about Russell Thompson-Bishop (RTB) who at 6-1 215 had good size and a lot of strength to fight his way open. He also has excellent speed, as reflected in his averages per catch in high school: overall: 133 receptions for 2,768 yards (20.8 avg.) and 35 touchdowns. As a senior: 41 passes for 728 yards (17.8 avg.) and 11 TDs. He also played basketball and led the state of Connecticut in blocked shots with 4.6. Did I say he was 6-1? Let’s take a look at him playing football in high school:
SU football recruiting: Get to know WR Russell Thompson-Bishop
He looks like the sort of guy quarterbacks love to throw to- a guy who can go up and get it in a crowd and make the QB look good. He’s also the ideal guy to target over the middle.

Ed Hendrix is another newcomer people are excited about. He’s another tall receiver at 6-3. He’s another DC kid who is rated 3 stars and the #77 receiver in his high school class by 247sports. “Caught 68 passes for 1,535 yards (22.6 avg.) and 24 touchdowns in three seasons for the Warriors, including 27 receptions for 585 yards (21.7 avg.) and 14 touchdowns as a senior captain.” (Cuse.com). His highlights, (the senior highlights come on after the junior highlights):
He looks like a tall target that a quarterback would look for when he needs a completion.

Damien Alford is a 3 star wide-out from Hollywood – Florida, (which means that if he went to Florida, he’d be a 4 star. Actually, he’s from Canada and moved to Florida.) He’s a tall guy, (6-5) so he should be a great target. He was ranked the 119th best wide-out in the class. “Alford is comfortable springing into the air for a ball on the outside over outmatched defensive backs. He’s also faster than most of the players defending him but that could change against ACC competition. However, Alford gives DeVito a weapon who he can launch a jump ball to. Alford basically has the size of a tight end, with the speed and physical traits of a receiver.” (OrangeFizz) Highlights:
He could sure make a quarterback look good, getting those ‘jump balls’. He also has a loping gait that suggests that he’s as fast as he needs to be.

Justin Barron is a 3 star from Connecticut, (which means that if he’d gone to Connecticut he’d be a 2 star). He was rated the #109 ‘athlete’ in the class, meaning that he could help the team at a number of positons. He’s also got some size at 6-4. “As a junior at Suffield Academy, Barron caught 34 passes for 581 yards and four touchdowns, per MaxPreps.com. He added 35 tackles, including one for loss, a pair of interceptions and six pass deflections.” Per Syracuse.com Barron said ““The staff wants me working on both sides of the ball. I’m told every time that they are fighting over me for which side of the ball I’m going to be playing on…. I believe some of my strengths as a player are my height, side-to-side quickness, and my awareness. These help me and give me an advantage against my opponents. I do not believe I have any weaknesses as a player.” Confidence is a good thing.

Here are some junior highlights with commentary from “Inside the Loud House”:
Here are some senior highlights:
He makes some great catches along the sideline and would be a good man to throw a fade to. But I was even more impressed with his defensive highlights and I wonder if he could wind up at linebacker, where we need all the help we can get.

Isaiah Jones Is a JUCO transfer with three years of eligibility. He’s another tall guy at 6-4. His output in ten games last year wasn’t all that prolific: 19 passes for 238 yards (12.5 avg.) and one touchdown. But he’ll add some depth at the position after the defections. His highlights, (from high school):
I see a lot of tough catches, many of them over the middle, and battles for extra yardage that get first downs and keep drives going. I also note that they have him listed as the #84 wide receiver in the country and that as a high school senior in Florida he caught 62 passes for 1,108 yards and eight touchdowns. He may be a lot more than just ‘depth’.

JaVontae Williams is a 3 star from Florida, (meaning that if he went to Florida State, he’d be a 4 star). He’s got decent size at 6-0 196 and is the 170th ranked wide-out in the class. We got him away from the U of Miami and Oregon so he must be pretty good. The big issue was qualifying academically, which he did. Nunes: “The more Florida speed we can add at the receiver position the better, and Williams certainly fits the bill. He’s also the sort of wideout that can catch passes in various parts of the field, with some good size at nearly 200 pounds. Since he’s one of a handful of players who intends to enroll in January, the extra time with the playbook could pay some major dividends. But with an extensive list of players at the position already, it’ll be a tough depth chart to crack for at least a year.” His highlights: 2020 Signing Class | Ja'Vontae Williams

I see some speed and jumping ability as well as plenty of determination. Other than that the tape is not spectacular, (although that QB looks pretty good). The dearth of players on the sideline and people in the stands suggests that this is small school completion but it is in Florida.

Junior Season 2019

I spoke to a head coach in CT football. He said Summers, in the ACC, should be maybe a two-year starter and a solid contributor to a program. Needs to work on accuracy, “moxie” and “making those around him better.”

I get the sense we should look at him as a Todd Philcox or a better version than Culpepper if a stud 4-star gets knocked out.

I spoke to a head coach in CT football. He said Summers, in the ACC, should be maybe a two-year starter and a solid contributor to a program. Needs to work on accuracy, “moxie” and “making those around him better.”

I get the sense we should look at him as a Todd Philcox or a better version than Culpepper if a stud 4-star gets knocked out.

Todd Philcox would look good right now.

Donnie McPherson in 1987: 129/229 (56.3%) for 2,341 yards 22TDs 11int.
Todd Philcox in 1988: 141/234 (60.3%) 2,076 yards 16TDs 11int.

Where is he? Nobody knows, he is MIA.

Again, from my preview:

Receivers
Seniors: Chris Elmore 6-0 288, Aaron Hackett 6-3 237; Nykeim Johnson 5-8 170;
Juniors: Taj Harris 6-2 164, (was 175 last year); Sharod Johnson 5-11 181; Russell Thompson-Bishop 6-1 234 (was 223 last year)
Sophomores: Luke Benson 6-3 233 (up from 210); Ethan Fischer 6-0 182; Ed Hendrix 6-3 220, (up from 208); Courtney Jackson 5-10 172, Isaiah Jones 6-4 200, Anthony Queeley 6-2 193; Sam Warren 5-11 202, (up from 180); Nate Wellington 5-10 190 (up from 177)
Freshmen: Damien Alford 6-5 210, Justin Barron 6-4 208, Steven Mahar Jr. 6-5 225, Maxmillian Mano 6-7 255, Trebor Pena 6-0 185, JaVontae Williams 6-0 203

A lot of people are excited about Russell Thompson-Bishop (RTB) who at 6-1 215 had good size and a lot of strength to fight his way open. He also has excellent speed, as reflected in his averages per catch in high school: overall: 133 receptions for 2,768 yards (20.8 avg.) and 35 touchdowns. As a senior: 41 passes for 728 yards (17.8 avg.) and 11 TDs. He also played basketball and led the state of Connecticut in blocked shots with 4.6. Did I say he was 6-1? Let’s take a look at him playing football in high school:
SU football recruiting: Get to know WR Russell Thompson-Bishop
He looks like the sort of guy quarterbacks love to throw to- a guy who can go up and get it in a crowd and make the QB look good. He’s also the ideal guy to target over the middle.

Ed Hendrix is another newcomer people are excited about. He’s another tall receiver at 6-3. He’s another DC kid who is rated 3 stars and the #77 receiver in his high school class by 247sports. “Caught 68 passes for 1,535 yards (22.6 avg.) and 24 touchdowns in three seasons for the Warriors, including 27 receptions for 585 yards (21.7 avg.) and 14 touchdowns as a senior captain.” (Cuse.com). His highlights, (the senior highlights come on after the junior highlights):
He looks like a tall target that a quarterback would look for when he needs a completion.

Damien Alford is a 3 star wide-out from Hollywood – Florida, (which means that if he went to Florida, he’d be a 4 star. Actually, he’s from Canada and moved to Florida.) He’s a tall guy, (6-5) so he should be a great target. He was ranked the 119th best wide-out in the class. “Alford is comfortable springing into the air for a ball on the outside over outmatched defensive backs. He’s also faster than most of the players defending him but that could change against ACC competition. However, Alford gives DeVito a weapon who he can launch a jump ball to. Alford basically has the size of a tight end, with the speed and physical traits of a receiver.” (OrangeFizz) Highlights:
He could sure make a quarterback look good, getting those ‘jump balls’. He also has a loping gait that suggests that he’s as fast as he needs to be.

Justin Barron is a 3 star from Connecticut, (which means that if he’d gone to Connecticut he’d be a 2 star). He was rated the #109 ‘athlete’ in the class, meaning that he could help the team at a number of positons. He’s also got some size at 6-4. “As a junior at Suffield Academy, Barron caught 34 passes for 581 yards and four touchdowns, per MaxPreps.com. He added 35 tackles, including one for loss, a pair of interceptions and six pass deflections.” Per Syracuse.com Barron said ““The staff wants me working on both sides of the ball. I’m told every time that they are fighting over me for which side of the ball I’m going to be playing on…. I believe some of my strengths as a player are my height, side-to-side quickness, and my awareness. These help me and give me an advantage against my opponents. I do not believe I have any weaknesses as a player.” Confidence is a good thing.

Here are some junior highlights with commentary from “Inside the Loud House”:
Here are some senior highlights:
He makes some great catches along the sideline and would be a good man to throw a fade to. But I was even more impressed with his defensive highlights and I wonder if he could wind up at linebacker, where we need all the help we can get.

Isaiah Jones Is a JUCO transfer with three years of eligibility. He’s another tall guy at 6-4. His output in ten games last year wasn’t all that prolific: 19 passes for 238 yards (12.5 avg.) and one touchdown. But he’ll add some depth at the position after the defections. His highlights, (from high school):
I see a lot of tough catches, many of them over the middle, and battles for extra yardage that get first downs and keep drives going. I also note that they have him listed as the #84 wide receiver in the country and that as a high school senior in Florida he caught 62 passes for 1,108 yards and eight touchdowns. He may be a lot more than just ‘depth’.

JaVontae Williams is a 3 star from Florida, (meaning that if he went to Florida State, he’d be a 4 star). He’s got decent size at 6-0 196 and is the 170th ranked wide-out in the class. We got him away from the U of Miami and Oregon so he must be pretty good. The big issue was qualifying academically, which he did. Nunes: “The more Florida speed we can add at the receiver position the better, and Williams certainly fits the bill. He’s also the sort of wideout that can catch passes in various parts of the field, with some good size at nearly 200 pounds. Since he’s one of a handful of players who intends to enroll in January, the extra time with the playbook could pay some major dividends. But with an extensive list of players at the position already, it’ll be a tough depth chart to crack for at least a year.” His highlights: 2020 Signing Class | Ja'Vontae Williams

I see some speed and jumping ability as well as plenty of determination. Other than that the tape is not spectacular, (although that QB looks pretty good). The dearth of players on the sideline and people in the stands suggests that this is small school completion but it is in Florida.
Great info.

I honestly think that there’s a chance that we bounce back next year with a decent team.

We don’t even know if Summers is on the roster right now but if he is and he has to work on accuracy, “moxie” and “making those around him better.” Then he’s a long way from the field and might never see it.

...and that was in his fifth year of the program. Not a second earlier.

It's amazing what was considered a good td:int ratio back then.

We don’t even know if Summers is on the roster right now but if he is and he has to work on accuracy, “moxie” and “making those around him better.” Then he’s a long way from the field and might never see it.

Summers is still listed on the roster. When preparing my preview I noticed that the roster would change from day to day when somebody left the team. I don't know if they do that during the season.