Benches on the opposite side? | Syracusefan.com

Benches on the opposite side?

DoubleDee

All American
I just watched Georgetown at Syracuse 1983. I was 13 and had seasons from then until 2014. I remember that raucous crowd, the Dome Ranger, the bland court, and the absence of baseline seats. What I don’t remember is that the benches were on the opposite side, so the tv angle was looking at the benches backs. Looks like the bench side of today was all press tables?

Anyone remember when it switched, and why exactly?

I just watched Georgetown at Syracuse 1983. I was 13 and had seasons from then until 2014. I remember that raucous crowd, the Dome Ranger, the bland court, and the absence of baseline seats. What I don’t remember is that the benches were on the opposite side, so the tv angle was looking at the benches backs. Looks like the bench side of today was all press tables?

Anyone remember when it switched, and why exactly?

It was part of Bee’s 6 Point Plan. ;)

Changed in 1984-85.

As more games were televised, they needed more room for the TV broadcast crew. Since the court was built into the Dome floor back then, they couldn't make any more room on the west side of the court, so they flopped the benches and by moving the roll away stands back a little bit, they created all the room they needed on the east side.

We went from having one row of tables for the press to two rows to three rows on the east side. Now there are three rows of courtside seats.

Oh, and the students used to yell some nasty stuff at the opposing team benches. ;)

Last edited:
Changed in 1984-85.
Oh, and the students used to yell some nasty stuff at the opposing team benches. ;)

Now the students would have to send any nasty messages by currier. I suggested the students use ‘Carrier’ pigeons to drop their messages on the opposing benches but that mean administration shot it down.

Now the students would have to send any nasty messages by currier. I suggested the students use ‘Carrier’ pigeons to drop their messages on the opposing benches but that mean administration shot it down.

Or write the messages on oranges...