Paul Tripoli
Pete Holohan
Donnie Langenmayr
Tim Green
Chris Gedney
JJ Grant
Jeff Lowe
Chris Jones
I think it depends on what you mean by athlete. Greatness in one sport? Greatness in multiple sports?

Pete Holohan might have been the best basketball player and football player in NYS his senior season. He was terrific in both sports.

Tim Green is the only football player on this list in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame. And he was a state champion wrestler.

JJ Grant was a track and field prodigy who peaked early and never won those gold medals some projected for him. He was very good at football, a HS AA, had a good career at Michigan but unlike others on this list, was not good enough to make an impact in the NFL.

Chris Jones will never overcome the stigma of having to attend Rutgers. That is an immediate disqualification. It is a credit to him he was able to make the big leagues and have a decent career despite that formidable handicap.

I think in terms of pure athleticism, Pete Holohan was the best. Next to Vic Hanson, he is my pick as the best athlete ever out of CNY (Greg Paulus is not in my top 5).

Tim Green was a very, very, very good athlete who overcame physical limitations (he wasn't that big) and made himself even better with tremendous work ethic and intelligence.

Holohan for sure, IMO. Didn’t he also switch positions when he got to Norte Dame after a year or two?

Last edited:
I think it depends on what you mean by athlete. Greatness in one sport? Greatness in multiple sports?

Pete Holohan might have been the best basketball player and football player in NYS his senior season. He was terrific in both sports.

Tim Green is the only football player on this list in the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame. And he was a state champion wrestler.

JJ Grant was a track and field prodigy who peaked early and never won those gold medals some projected for him. He was very good at football, a HS AA, had a good career at Michigan but unlike others on this list, was not good enough to make an impact in the NFL.

Chris Jones will never overcome the stigma of having to attend Rutgers. That is an immediate disqualification. It is a credit to him he was able to make the big leagues and have a decent career despite that formidable handicap.

I think in terms of pure athleticism, Pete Holohan was the best. Next to Vic Hanson, he is my pick as the best athlete ever out of CNY (Greg Paulus is not in my top 5).

Tim Green was a very, very, very good athlete who overcame physical limitations (he wasn't that big) and made himself even better with tremendous work ethic and intelligence.

Not who you might traditionally think of, by how about Marc Mero?

I'd love to hear who's on that Top 5 list, Tomcat.

Not who you might traditionally think of, by how about Marc Mero?

I'd love to hear who's on that Top 5 list, Tomcat.
My top 5 athletes ever out of CNY?

First, by ‘out of CNY’, I mean people who grew up, or at least went to HS in CNY.

Myer Prinstein would be on the list. He won a bunch of gold medals in the early 1900s. One of the greatest long and triple jumpers in the history of the sport.

Vic Hanson was national player of the year and led SU to a NC in basketball. Was also an AA in football. In the college football and college basketball halls of fame. Also was.a great baseball player drafted by the Yankees.

Pete Holohan has to be on the list.

Tim Green makes the list. Great wrestler. Great football player who made the college football hall of fame.

The fifth could be one of a number of people.

Tony Washington won a gold in the discus in the world championship in track in field. Finished 4th in the Olympics. Out of Rome, NY and SU.

Mike Hart had an unbelievable career playing football at Onondaga HS and a fine career at Michigan as well. He is hard to ignore but his lack of success in the NFL hurts him some.

Mel Hall out of Port Byron was a great football and baseball player who had a long career in MLB.

Doug Swift, Dave Cash, Dave Guisti, Bill Dinneen, Dorsey Levens, Danny Schayes, Tommy Myers, Bill Horr, Audray Blatche, Larry Costello, Ginny Allen and many others need to be considered.

But I think after thinking about it for 5 minutes, I have to go with Breanna Stewart, who was able to overcome having to attend UConn for 4 years and still become the best female basketball player in the world. Heck, she might be the best athlete ever out of CNY period.

My top 5 athletes ever out of CNY?

First, by ‘out of CNY’, I mean people who grew up, or at least went to HS in CNY.

Myer Prinstein would be on the list. He won a bunch of gold medals in the early 1900s. One of the greatest long and triple jumpers in the history of the sport.

Vic Hanson was national player of the year and led SU to a NC in basketball. Was also an AA in football. In the college football and college basketball halls of fame. Also was.a great baseball player drafted by the Yankees.

Pete Holohan has to be on the list.

Tim Green makes the list. Great wrestler. Great football player who made the college football hall of fame.

The fifth could be one of a number of people.

Tony Washington won a gold in the discus in the world championship in track in field. Finished 4th in the Olympics. Out of Rome, NY and SU.

Mike Hart had an unbelievable career playing football at Onondaga HS and a fine career at Michigan as well. He is hard to ignore but his lack of success in the NFL hurts him some.

Mel Hall out of Port Byron was a great football and baseball player who had a long career in MLB.

Doug Swift, Dave Cash, Dave Guisti, Bill Dinneen, Dorsey Levens, Danny Schayes, Tommy Myers, Bill Horr, Audray Blatche, Larry Costello, Ginny Allen and many others need to be considered.

But I think after thinking about it for 5 minutes, I have to go with Breanna Stewart, who was able to overcome having to attend UConn for 4 years and still become the best female basketball player in the world. Heck, she might be the best athlete ever out of CNY period.
Great list. Being a JD guy I’ll admit that I’m biased when I say that Scott Schwedes should be in the ARV category. 3 sport athlete in high school and lacrosse All-American. It very well might have been his best sport.

Great list. Being a JD guy I’ll admit that I’m biased when I say that Scott Schwedes should be in the ARV category. 3 sport athlete in high school and lacrosse All-American. It very well might have been his best sport.
Yeah, he belongs. There have been a ton of great athletes over the years from CNY. Impossible to name them all.