Best BB Programs in the 21st Century | Syracusefan.com

Best BB Programs in the 21st Century

omniorange

All Conference
If one believes that the only barometer to judge best basketball programs is NCAA tournament success, then the simplest way to determine which programs have been the best since the start of the 21st century is take a look at how they have done since the 2000-2001 season. Basically for my point system I used the same system as awarding NCAA bb units, but extended the extra points out for semi-finalist win and championship win.

The results were not too surprising in terms of Top 10:

1. Kansas - 49
2. Duke - 45
3. Michigan State - 40
4. North Carolina - 39
5. Kentucky - 37
6. Florida - 35
7. UConn - 34
8t. Louisville - 32
8t. Arizona - 32
10. Syracuse - 31

Programs 11 - 25

11t. Wisconsin - 29
11t. Texas - 29
13. UCLA - 28
14. Ohio State - 27
15t. Gonzaga - 26
15t. Illinois - 26
15t. Pittsburgh - 26
15t. Xavier - 26
19. Butler - 25
20. Memphis - 24
21t. Marquette - 23
21t. Maryland - 23
23t. Indiana - 20
23t. Oklahoma - 20
23t. Villanova - 20

Cheers,
Neil

Only one program in the top 10 does not currently reside in a major power-player conference, and we all know who that is. It really is stunning. I know we all say and have a great time with it, but wow does their misfortune stand out in that list. Will their name be there 10 years from now?

The only problem I have with that list is that there are two SEC teams in the top 10. Can we ban UK? Or at least put 6 or 7 asterisks after their name? :)

If one believes that the only barometer to judge best basketball programs is NCAA tournament success, then the simplest way to determine which programs have been the best since the start of the 21st century is take a look at how they have done since the 2000-2001 season. Basically for my point system I used the same system as awarding NCAA bb units, but extended the extra points out for semi-finalist win and championship win.

Cheers,
Neil

It is interesting that within various ranking systems over various time periods Syracuse usually comes in at 10 or close to it.

and people in r fanbase think we r not that good, and want to be another progra,, blah blah blah

Uconn should be a championship contender next year.

We can all joke about there new conference, but let's face it...they are good.

Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Calhoun etc.

They play to our annual weaknesses. I expect Uconn to be in the top 10 all year.

Uconn should be a championship contender next year.

We can all joke about there new conference, but let's face it...they are good.

Napier, Boatright, Daniels, Calhoun etc.

They play to our annual weaknesses. I expect Uconn to be in the top 10 all year.

Not sure I get this. Our annual weakness has usually been our center/power forward play where UConn has been strong. Lately ours has been better than theirs.

UConn has good guard play that will keep them ranked most of the season, but I just don't see them being a championship contender next year.

Cheers,
Neil

I must have missed where they added an elite power forward or center. Until they get one or the other, they're a nice guard oriented team (with small guards) who may get ranked in the 18-25 range as they pile up wins against the bottom feeding weaklings in the AAC but they are by no means a serious threat to go deep in the NCAAT.

Yes, it will. UConn will land on it's feet. I know we don't want them to, but they will.
Here is something to keep in mind eao, time is not on UConn's side. The longer they are in that crap conference, that is who you become. If in 3 years, they haven't found themseleves in a top 5 conference, their chance would be less than it is now.

Here is something to keep in mind eao, time is not on UConn's side. The longer they are in that crap conference, that is who you become. If in 3 years, they haven't found themseleves in a top 5 conference, their chance would be less than it is now.

well hopefully there football team finds some success. Because as a Syracuse fan, I'd hate to see Uconn just burn out and disappear.

They have been our great rivals of the decade alongside Pitt and UL more-so than G Town.

I must have missed where they added an elite power forward or center. Until they get one or the other, they're a nice guard oriented team (with small guards) who may get ranked in the 18-25 range as they pile up wins against the bottom feeding weaklings in the AAC but they are by no means a serious threat to go deep in the NCAAT.
They have arguable one of the best guard duos in the NCAAs. They don't need an elite center or rebounding presence.

For god sakes we had no elite center or even rebounding presence last year besides possibly CJ Fair at the forward with his 7 a game.

Uconn can hit 3s, they can outrun teams, they hit there free throws, they play solid defense...

Add a big body down low, scoring threat or not, and they are very dangerous.

Obviously football would take a step back if UConn doesn't get nabbed by the ACC or Big Ten, but I think they could easily still be a national power in basketball and follow the Gonzaga/Butler/Memphis model of scheduling a hardcore non-conference schedule to make up for the weaker in-conference slate.

Obviously football would take a step back if UConn doesn't get nabbed by the ACC or Big Ten, but I think they could easily still be a national power in basketball and follow the Gonzaga/Butler/Memphis model of scheduling a hardcore non-conference schedule to make up for the weaker in-conference slate.
lots of changes coming. They will have a hard time getting on national tv. And that hurts recruiting. Butler is in a hoop hot bed. Gonzaga is all alone on the west coast. A lot of competition for players for UConn.

let em ask this, if roles were reversed, would uconn fans be hoping for us to join an elite conference????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? mo, so why do we want uconn in a elite conference????????????????????????????????????????????????

Umm.. Memphis? And Memphis is now in that same conference. I think Memphis has enough draw power to help UCONN keep getting enough talent to remain in and around the top 25. And Ollie is going to be a good coach. I don't see UCONN dropping very far at all. Unfortunately...

4 of top 10 are ACC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom