Best CB's at 'Cuse in last 20-25 years? | Syracusefan.com

Best CB's at 'Cuse in last 20-25 years?

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
So ESPN (Herbie) pointed out that SU's DBs are not exactly strong swimmers.

Why does it seem that the defensive backfield is always the weakest unit of the Syracuse defense?

Sure we've have a few top flight safeties in Donovan Darius, Tebucky Jones and Shamarko Thomas, but it always seems as if the defensive backfield unit as a whole is generally below average.

Besides Will Allen, the only other really good corner I can remember is Dwayne Joseph and he played at SU 20 years ago.

Have there been other good corners since 1988?

Or am I correct in feeling this has always been a position of weakness at SU.

So ESPN (Herbie) pointed out that SU's DBs are not exactly strong swimmers.

Why does it seem that the defensive backfield is always the weakest unit of the Syracuse defense?

Sure we've have a few top flight safeties in Donovan Darius, Tebucky Jones and Shamarko Thomas, but it always seems as if the defensive backfield unit as a whole is generally below average.

Besides Will Allen, the only other really good corner I can remember is Dwayne Joseph and he played at SU 20 years ago.

Have there been other good corners since 1988?

Or am I correct in feeling this has always been a position of weakness at SU.

Kevin Abrams was very good. Tanard Jackson was good.

Kevin Abrams was very good. Tanard Jackson was good.

Kevin Abrams was awesome, but he finished up his SU football career in 1996 - which is a full 17 seasons ago. Ouch.

Tanard Jackson was really good as well. Thanks for reminding me. Though he too left the program a long time ago, 2006.

We seem to go for such long stretches without good corners.

Reddish and Lyn are two guys who will get very good opportunities to play on Sundays.

Anderson is the weak link. Has been for last two years. Needs to play a lot better today for us to have a chance.

I think Abrams and Allen were the best two. It seems that the D SU plays right now doesn't give corners the opportunity to look great. With so many blitz packages DB who are not coming are asked to play a soft zone. This leads to catches made in front of them where they are asked to make tough one on one tackles in space. Anderson is a good tackler and a better player than most people give him credit for.

Guys looked bad against NW because we brought pressure that never got there. Against Wagner and Tulane, we got there and the whole D looked much better.

It's likely Clemson takes advantage if we don't actually get hits/sacks on Boyd. I'm hoping Bromley is the difference.

If we blitz and play zone we will get picked apart if we don't get there. Our Zone sucks. If we play press Boyd will simply take off when he sees our backs.

This is a game that has to be won by our offense.

If we blitz and play zone we will get picked apart if we don't get there. Our Zone sucks. If we play press Boyd will simply take off when he sees our backs.

This is a game that has to be won by our offense.

3rd option. Crowd rattles Boyd, protection breaks down and he becomes Geno Smith.

Lyn and Reddish will both play on Sundays. For the most part it is our safeties getting torched since we play a ton of zone. Wilkes has got blown at least 3 coverages for long TD's this year. Our corners aren't the problem, but I think their individual talents are being wasted in zone coverage.

Lyn and Reddish will both play on Sundays. For the most part it is our safeties getting torched since we play a ton of zone. Wilkes has got blown at least 3 coverages for long TD's this year. Our corners aren't the problem, but I think their individual talents are being wasted in zone coverage.

Agreed, I think it's the safeties who are the weak links, not the corners