Best Defensive Teams Ever At Syracuse? | Syracusefan.com

Best Defensive Teams Ever At Syracuse?

anomander

Living Legend
statistically it is starting to shape up that way. about 35% from the field, and 28% from 3. this is the longest zone up top we have had, and MCW may be the best defensive guard we have ever had. not to mention we are averaging just about the same amount of blocks/steals as last year that everyone used to rave about, but the huge difference is we are rebounding much better with a +8 differential. Obviously with our offense limited if we are forced to play in the half court the defense will be forced to carry us, and i have all the faith in the world that it should at least keep us close with a chance to win every game.

Can anybody else think of a better defensive team we have had?

statistically it is starting to shape up that way. about 35% from the field, and 28% from 3. this is the longest zone up top we have had, and MCW may be the best defensive guard we have ever had. not to mention we are averaging just about the same amount of blocks/steals as last year that everyone used to rave about, but the huge difference is we are rebounding much better with a +8 differential. Obviously with our offense limited if we are forced to play in the half court the defense will be forced to carry us, and i have all the faith in the world that it should at least keep us close with a chance to win every game.

Last years team with Melo was pretty good. So was the 09-10 team.

Last years team with Melo was pretty good. So was the 09-10 team.
ya but they couldn't rebound the save their lives and it killed them. this team is pretty good, the +8 is a huge tell, last year we would give them 2 or 3 attempts.

this goes along with the winning with less than 60 points thing...

Not sure how old you are, but you have obviously forgotten about the 1917-1918 national championship team that went 16-1 and gave up just over 17 points per game. The Cuse's leading scorer, Joe Schwarzer almost outscored the competition by himself. Just go the main basketball page. All of the results are listed on the championship banner hanging on that page.:rolling:

Not sure how old you are, but you have obviously forgotten about the 1917-1918 national championship team that went 16-1 and gave up just over 17 points per game. The Cuse's leading scorer, Joe Schwarzer almost outscored the competition by himself. Just go the main basketball page. All of the results are listed on the championship banner hanging on that page.:rolling:

Schwarzer was Boeheimed that season.

Funny you say that. Is this nice write up, Schwartzer got the measels during the season and missed some games. Fortunately John Cronauer stepped up to take the lead. In fact based on the stats from the schedule, Cronauer outscored the opposition twice during games that season and Schwartzer once. As much as I love SWC, I don't need him to tell me if Dave Bing or Carmelo Anthony ever outscored one of our opponents in a game. Cronauer and Schwartzer should have their jerseys retired, not Melo.

http://www.orangehoops.org/GameResults/G1917-1918.htm

Funny you say that. Is this nice write up, Schwartzer got the measels during the season and missed some games. Fortunately John Cronauer stepped up to take the lead. In fact based on the stats from the schedule, Cronauer outscored the opposition twice during games that season and Schwartzer once. As much as I love SWC, I don't need him to tell me if Dave Bing or Carmelo Anthony ever outscored one of our opponents in a game. Cronauer and Schwartzer should have their jerseys retired, not Melo.

The only reason we got our first final four is because of the Cronauer center. That is why Jim lee and rudy hackett went to the cuse.

If Southerland comes back, a defensive line-up of MCW-Triche-Southerland-Grant-Rak/Keita might be the most athletic and long defense anyone has ever seen.

I hope I don't betray any confidences here but the guy who gave Schwartzer the measles was All4SU.

He attoned for this however by inventing the first psychodelic swirl pattern, which he used to great effect behind Penn's basket when the Quakers shot FTs during the historic SU-Penn game near the end of the 1917-18 season.

This new tactic effectively clinched SU's first national championship in basketball.

images

All4SU's historic swirl pattern,
forerunner to the Giant JB Head,
etc.

So props to All4SU, our forwarding thinking genius. Well done.

All4SU, circa 1918

I didn't want to have to go all Iggy on you but, technically speaking, it was Cronauer that was Boeheimed...little known fact, Cronauer was Ethan Cole's idol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom