Best finishing starting 5 | Syracusefan.com

Best finishing starting 5

MadNY3

All American
Bored.

So name your all-time starting five of best finishers; those who could get to the basket and when they did, it was almost guaranteed money.

Mine (which will be off because I am spending no time thinking through...)

PG - Jonny Flynn/Pearl (tied)
SG - Stevie Thompson
SF - Melo
PF - Derrick Coleman (Wallace, Hak got consideration)
C - Seikaly (?; I feel like someone else should go here)

Bored.

So name your all-time starting five of best finishers; those who could get to the basket and when they did, it was almost guaranteed money.

Mine (which will be off because I am spending no time thinking through...)

PG - Jonny Flynn/Pearl (tied)
SG - Stevie Thompson
SF - Melo
PF - Derrick Coleman (Wallace, Hak got consideration)
C - Seikaly (?; I feel like someone else should go here)
Agreed but hard no to fit Dion in somewhere, and senior Rak was unstoppable. AO had a great FG% if I remember correctly too

michael lloyd was an exciting finisher...didnt dunk but made layups as interesting as they get and could do it in heavy traffic

michael lloyd was an exciting finisher...didnt dunk but made layups as interesting as they get and could do it in heavy traffic

??

Michael Lloyd was an awesome dunker, even at his height. Kid was an incredible athlete.

Agreed but hard no to fit Dion in somewhere, and senior Rak was unstoppable. AO had a great FG% if I remember correctly too

Yea, I would put Dion ahead of Stevie, and think Etan was also pretty reliable with his baby hook late in his career. He and Otis jump to mind as the 5s, but Rony and AO also good choices, Rick Jackson maybe too? Rak remains #1 to me, triple teams weren't stopping him Sr year.

??

Michael Lloyd was an awesome dunker, even at his height. Kid was an incredible athlete.
yeah just looked him up...he was a mcd all american!...too bad for him he played in an era when grades actually kept players off the court...
i just remember in games he used to finish with the crazy layups...maybe he was a great dunker too i forget it was 25 years ago

I’m only old enough to have really been following Cuse basketball since about 2000. So some of the older guys I can’t speak to.

But I’m going to enter Eric Devendorf’s name into consideration. Especially going left he never missed.

Dion definitely. AO...good game overall. Didn’t think of him as a finisher...maybe because he had such a below-the-rim game.

I’m only old enough to have really been following Cuse basketball since about 2000. So some of the older guys I can’t speak to.

But I’m going to enter Eric Devendorf’s name into consideration. Especially going left he never missed.

Agreed 144%
Devo is STILL an absolute magician at the rim.
Dude was finishing in all kinds of ways for Boeheim's Army.
He was/is equally lethal with either hand.

C's - Rony Seikaly is woefully underrated by many of our fanbase.
Going from athletic spaz as a raw Frosh, to having a refined post and faceup game as a Senior, is one of the more remarkable transformations in Cuse history.
He played for a decade in the Association, in the Era of the Great Center, and more than held his own.

Honorable mention C's - Rak, Etan, and Fab (R.I.P.)

When I think finishing in the lane, I'm thinking guards. Best 2 I recall seeing are Flynn & Devo, and they shared the backcourt for a couple of years. Flynn's teabag on Rutgers and Devo's contortionist like moves are tough to beat. Waiters would be next in line for me.

Don't forget Poetry in Moten. . . he didn't get to be the best all-time scorer by missing bunnies.-VBOF

Definitely. Lawrence was so smooth, and just had a nose for getting buckets. He’s way up near the top of the best I’ve seen.

yeah just looked him up...he was a mcd all american!...too bad for him he played in an era when grades actually kept players off the court...
i just remember in games he used to finish with the crazy layups...maybe he was a great dunker too i forget it was 25 years ago

I remember him dunking mainly on fast breaks, and he had some good ones - I don’t remember him dunking on people in traffic. He definitely had some creative finishes around the basket.

IMO he would’ve been a threat to score 20 ppg if he had gotten to play his senior year as the 2, alongside Sims as the point guard.

Billy Edelin and Josh Pace deserve mentions - they were deadly if they got into the paint. Both so patient and deliberate and under control.