Best Move is if Pac-12 Makes the Next Move | Syracusefan.com

Best Move is if Pac-12 Makes the Next Move

KingOtis

All Conference
If you want the ACC to survive without losing another member, then you want the Pac-12 to add Oklahoma and OSU ASAP. Or, even better, those two along with Kansas and K-State.

That will put Texas in panic mode. The ACC can then structure a deal that will allow Texas to keep its network if it joins the conference. Once the Longhorns are on board, there's a model in place to make ND a full-time member.

Team 16 can be UConn or Louisville, but at that point, why not make a play for PSU? A nice, one-fingered salute to Delany as the ACC locks its doors for good.

And then the SEC and Big 10 can fight over what's left of the Big 12: WVU, Iowa St., Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech. Or they add Louisville, UConn, etc. at the expense of one or some of those schools.

If you want the ACC to survive without losing another member, then you want the Pac-12 to add Oklahoma and OSU ASAP. Or, even better, those two along with Kansas and K-State.

That will put Texas in panic mode. The ACC can then structure a deal that will allow Texas to keep its network if it joins the conference. Once the Longhorns are on board, there's a model in place to make ND a full-time member.

Team 16 can be UConn or Louisville, but at that point, why not make a play for PSU? A nice, one-fingered salute to Delany as the ACC locks its doors for good.

And then the SEC and Big 10 can fight over what's left of the Big 12: WVU, Iowa St., Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech. Or they add Louisville, UConn, etc. at the expense of one or some of those schools.

All Big 12 teams have signed away their TV rights for 13 years meaning that from a money standpoint they would be worthless to the conference they would join for that long. I highly doubt any Big 12 team will be leaving anytime soon. From a money and competitive standpoint, the conf is doing exceptionally well.

All Big 12 teams have signed away their TV rights for 13 years meaning that from a money standpoint they would be worthless to the conference they would join for that long. I highly doubt any Big 12 team will be leaving anytime soon. From a money and competitive standpoint, the conf is doing exceptionally well.

I thought i read this has not even been signed yet.

From my understanding it was already signed for 6 years and they were going to extend it to 13. I am not certain if the latter has occured but I am inclined to think that it is.

I think this confirms what I was saying.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-12-conference-media-rights-deal-abc-espn-fox

The Big 12 Conference will announce a big media rights deal on Friday, sources told ESPN.com.
The deal is with ABC/ESPN and Fox for 13 years and worth $2.6 billion, an average of $200 million per year and about $20 million per school, sources told ESPN.com.
The conference's board of directors is expected to vote on the pact Friday morning. The media rights arrangement will run through the 2024-25 school year.
Under the deal, ABC/ESPN and Fox will share the league's football, while ABC/ESPN will become the exclusive provider for Big 12 men's basketball.
The deal also includes what is called a "grant of rights," which means if a team currently in the Big 12 leaves for another conference during the life of the deal, that school's media rights, including its revenue, stay with the Big 12 and not its new conference, ESPN.com notes.
The "grant of rights" agreement is huge for a conference that nearly lost Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac-12 last year. The conference lost Nebraska to the Big Ten (effective last season) and Missouri and Texas A&M (this season) to the SEC. In addition to the Big 12, the Big Ten and Pac-12 have "grant of rights" agreements.

It has been signed. What I don't quite understand is whether/how a grant of rights (big 12's protection) is truly worth more than $50 million (acc's protection). You get the team's media money under a GOR, but if by expanding further gets you more money for all team's in your league, perhaps there is incentive for doing so. This is the only way i see the b12 being vulnerable. That said, the big 10 just went to 14 and I don't think they are going to say, ok big 12 you stay at 10 and pac 12, stay at 12 and we'll keep the status quo on bowls, tv, etc.

it seems that swoffard needs to work on the media deal to try to bring it in line with the b12 to create stability, hold Md to $50 million, consider alternative sharing models and create a GOR. He could also consider an exposure-based revenue-sharing model, similar to the b12, which may appeal to the big football schools in the acc

From my understanding it was already signed for 6 years and they were going to extend it to 13. I am not certain if the latter has occured but I am inclined to think that it is.

If Texas decides it wants blow up the conference, it blows up the conference and the GOR doesn't mean a thing. Currently it has no reason to do so.

If there is no conference there is no GOR.

I think this confirms what I was saying.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...-12-conference-media-rights-deal-abc-espn-fox

The Big 12 Conference will announce a big media rights deal on Friday, sources told ESPN.com.
The deal is with ABC/ESPN and Fox for 13 years and worth $2.6 billion, an average of $200 million per year and about $20 million per school, sources told ESPN.com.
The conference's board of directors is expected to vote on the pact Friday morning. The media rights arrangement will run through the 2024-25 school year.
Under the deal, ABC/ESPN and Fox will share the league's football, while ABC/ESPN will become the exclusive provider for Big 12 men's basketball.
The deal also includes what is called a "grant of rights," which means if a team currently in the Big 12 leaves for another conference during the life of the deal, that school's media rights, including its revenue, stay with the Big 12 and not its new conference, ESPN.com notes.
The "grant of rights" agreement is huge for a conference that nearly lost Texas and Oklahoma to the Pac-12 last year. The conference lost Nebraska to the Big Ten (effective last season) and Missouri and Texas A&M (this season) to the SEC. In addition to the Big 12, the Big Ten and Pac-12 have "grant of rights" agreements.
so not much different revenue-wise to what the ACC schools are getting. certainly not worth it for any ACC school to pay a $50M exit fee to go to that conference.

If there is no conference there is no GOR.

Texas by itself can't do anything in this situation. For the Big 12 to dissolve a majority of the teams would have to agree and highly doubt that is happening given the success both from a money and athletic standpoint. The Big 12 has opportunities to add teams but is not doing so because they are being very selective. At 10 teams, there is no Big 12 championship game, which is something UT and OU like a lot because it makes the path to the national championship easier.

so not much different revenue-wise to what the ACC schools are getting. certainly not worth it for any ACC school to pay a $50M exit fee to go to that conference.

From a competitive standpoint it would make a lot of sense for a team like FSU/Clemson. Big 12 has been and is still MUCH better than the ACC in football. 9/10 teams have been ranked this year alone. Personally I have an interest to see both conferences do well so I wish all this crap would just stop.

It still cracks me up that the SEC raids the Big 12 for two teams, and the Big 12 turns around and established a bowl affiliation with the SEC.

It still cracks me up that the SEC raids the Big 12 for two teams, and the Big 12 turns around and established a bowl affiliation with the SEC.

Pragmatic move to cement the Big 12 as the biggest rival to the alleged best football conf.

From a competitive standpoint it would make a lot of sense for a team like FSU/Clemson. Big 12 has been and is still MUCH better than the ACC in football. 9/10 teams have been ranked this year alone. Personally I have an interest to see both conferences do well so I wish all this crap would just stop.
Just add a marquee non-conf team to the schedule, and suddenly your weak ACC sched is roughly equivalent of what a Big 12 sched is. They will also probably get more TV money for a big game, there will clearly get more attention, and their fans will have another big game to look forward to.

FSU was supposed to play WVU this year, but it got cancelled due to WVU changing conferences. FSU replaced them with literally the worst D1 football school. Now they were in a bind and did it on short notice, so they are not entirely at fault here, but, if they have a beef with their SOS and it's effects on their BCS ranking, that game is one place to look.

If expansion reopens a contract does that nullify the current GOR and cause a need for a new GOR? If so then the best thing for the ACC is for the B12 to expand now with Louisville in an attempt to grab them before the ACC. That would allow B12 teams to leave for no $ at all. So if Texas really wants to go to the P12 they should just push for B12 expansion.

If expansion reopens a contract does that nullify the current GOR and cause a need for a new GOR? If so then the best thing for the ACC is for the B12 to expand now with Louisville in an attempt to grab them before the ACC. That would allow B12 teams to leave for no $ at all. So if Texas really wants to go to the P12 they should just push for B12 expansion.

My understanding is that Texas is actually one of the main teams NOT wanting the Big 12 to expand. Bigger piece of the pie for each team at 10 and no Big 12 championship game. Also, I highly the contract is nullified if the Big 12 adds more teams. The idea from the beginning has been to expand eventually but not expand just for the sake of expanding. If FSU/Clemson were available, I think the Big 12 takes them but not so much Ville/Cincy at this time.

To break the GOR outright, you need the conference to dissolve. However, the dissolution can be brought about by at least two methods:

1) The PAC takes four teams and the SEC or B1G takes at least 1. This leaves 5 teams, regardless of their makeup and the conference is no more. There must be at least 6 teams for a conference to be recognized. The remaining teams would lose their TV deal and most likely not be able to re-load at least to the level that the media partners would accept.

2) If Texas leaves, the TV deal is no more. They are the big fish and they are the media giant. If Texas leaves, the media deal fails and Texas cannot be replaced by anyone that would garner enough media attention to warrant the media deal. NOTE: Technically, ND might be able to do so, but they rejected the Big 12 and they can play any of the teams they want to, so no real incentive. OU is a big fish, but lacks the media draw that Texas provides. If UT and OU leave simultaneously, there is no reload possible.

GORs are also only a starting point to resolve liquidated damages. Damages must be mitigated and, assuming that most, if not all the teams in the big 5 conferences remain in the mix, they are likely to get paid as much or more than they are getting now, thus, no financial loss to their fellow conference mates, no payout. Further, assuming a GOR would be fully enforceable the new conference would have claims to the the damages caused by the old conference interference. In short, if the Big 12 is the target for dissolution, the power conferences will have already worked out how to defeat the GOR.

Texas by itself can't do anything in this situation. For the Big 12 to dissolve a majority of the teams would have to agree and highly doubt that is happening given the success both from a money and athletic standpoint. The Big 12 has opportunities to add teams but is not doing so because they are being very selective. At 10 teams, there is no Big 12 championship game, which is something UT and OU like a lot because it makes the path to the national championship easier.

If the Pac takes 4 teams the big 12 will dissolve because the ACC will then invite the left overs it wants.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

So if Texas really wants to go to the P12 they should just push for B12 expansion.

I don't see Texas ever going to the Pac-12. The Pac-12 won't allow the LHN. They won't even allow Texas to run its own website. Check out the athletic websites for all of the schools in that conference. They're all the same template, all part of the CBS online network.

Signing away your tv rights for 13 years is why I don't think anyone like FSU is going jump to the big 12. I have a hard time seeing any heavy weight thinking that's a good idea.

It was a survival move and it put them on more stable ground than the ACC.

I never got the least bit of sense during the last go around, that Oklahoma wanted to separate from Texas the way aTm did.

It's going to be fairly pride swallowing for FSU to play Tier 3 games on something called The Longhorn Network.

I don't see Texas ever going to the Pac-12. The Pac-12 won't allow the LHN. They won't even allow Texas to run its own website. Check out the athletic websites for all of the schools in that conference. They're all the same template, all part of the CBS online network.

Exactly. If UT really wanted to be in the PAC 12 or any other conf for that matter they had 2 years to think this over and decided the Big 12 was still the best place for them. The Big 12 gives them everything they want (LHN and a shot to get to the national championship every year), why would they want to leave at this point? They have the LHN and the Big 12 is a much stronger conf than either the Pac 12 or the Big 10. ACC wouldn't even be a consideration at this point.

I never got the least bit of sense during the last go around, that Oklahoma wanted to separate from Texas the way aTm did.

Really? Because it was the Pac-12 that snubbed Oklahoma, not the other way around. Oklahoma and Texas were in separate conferences for a long time before the Big 12 formed. The Sooners are going to do what's best for the Sooners.