Best NCAAB coaches | Syracusefan.com

Best NCAAB coaches

p.s. I could be talked into swapping Dollard and Danforth.

If I was hiring a coach this would be my top 11.

1. Coach K
2. Rick Pitino
3. Jim Boeheim
4. Tom Izzo
5. Billy Donovan
6. John Beilein
7. Roy Williams
8. Bill Self
9. Bo Ryan
10. Jay Wright/Shaka Smart

If I was hiring a coach this would be my top 11.

1. Coach K
2. Rick Pitino
3. Jim Boeheim
4. Tom Izzo
5. Billy Donovan
6. John Beilein
7. Roy Williams
8. Bill Self
9. Bo Ryan
10. Jay Wright/Shaka Smart
No Sean Miller? How about Josh Pastner? I like your list but if I was hiring a coach I'm not sure I would hire someone over the age of 65, although JAB, Coach K and Larry Brown make incredible arguments.

No Sean Miller? How about Josh Pastner? I like your list but if I was hiring a coach I'm not sure I would hire someone over the age of 65, although JAB, Coach K and Larry Brown make incredible arguments.
Pastner no way as the guy can be a lead assistant/recruiter, but he hasn't shown he can do anything with all the talent he has gotten to Memphis.

Miller and Thad Matta were the guys I considered with Shaka Smart and Jay Wright. I went with Smart and Wright because they a little better IMO. Larry Brown wouldn't stay thats why I didn't consider him. Coach K, Pitino, JAB, Roy Williams are older, but would be able to recruit anywhere they went. I think JB belongs closer to Coach K than Roy because I think JAB is a better coach.

Coach K
Bill Self
Rick Pitino
Izzo
JB
Roy Williams
Billy Donovan
Calipari (let me get my flame suit on...)
Jay Wright/John Beilein

Shaka I feel like is still riding off 2011 quite a bit. This year has been a disappointment.

K
Pitino

Izzo
Self
Roy
Donovan
Boeheim

Belein
Stevens (he will be back soon enough)
Miller
Huggins
Larry Brown

Prove it:
Smart (personally think he's a one hit wonder)
Cronin
Pastner (not impressed yet)

K
Izzo
Donovan
Boeheim
Self
Huggins
Wright

F Pitino

Not sure if you meant active or all time but I'll give you my all time ranking (major programs). Also, imo what makes a great coach is results each coach gets over the years based on the players he has. I don't give credit for recruiting because that is usually done by assistants (realize there are good arguments against this). I don't place a lot of weight on championships because today luck plays a major roll. Also, years ago (UCLA, Kentucky etc) only had to win 2-3 games to get to the NC, not so in the modern era. Again, to me a great coach wins the close games and wins with less talented players while maintaining a high win percentage over time. Wooden, K, Smith, Rupp? No, because they could pick any HS player they wanted.

1) Jim Calhoun
2) Jim Boeheim
3) Bobby Knight
4) Jerry Tarkanian
5) John Chaney
6) Eddie Sutton
7) Rollie Massimino
8) Lefty Driesell

Future additions? Tom Izzo, John Beilein, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Bo Ryan.

Hard to believe that Tony Bennett hasn't been mentioned. Easily one of the best young coaches in the country.

Hard to believe that Tony Bennett hasn't been mentioned. Easily one of the best young coaches in the country.
too early.

Not sure if you meant active or all time but I'll give you my all time ranking (major programs). Also, imo what makes a great coach is results each coach gets over the years based on the players he has. I don't give credit for recruiting because that is usually done by assistants (realize there are good arguments against this). I don't place a lot of weight on championships because today luck plays a major roll. Also, years ago (UCLA, Kentucky etc) only had to win 2-3 games to get to the NC, not so in the modern era. Again, to me a great coach wins the close games and wins with less talented players while maintaining a high win percentage over time. Wooden, K, Smith, Rupp? No, because they could pick any HS player they wanted.

1) Jim Calhoun
2) Jim Boeheim
3) Bobby Knight
4) Jerry Tarkanian
5) John Chaney
6) Eddie Sutton
7) Rollie Massimino
8) Lefty Driesell

Future additions? Tom Izzo, John Beilein, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, Bo Ryan.

Maybe with a few more wins eager go getters like Coach K and Rick Pitino will be considered with the all time greats like Eddie Sutton.

Maybe with a few more wins eager go getters like Coach K and Rick Pitino will be considered with the all time greats like Eddie Sutton.

HaHa, Of course you can include both in any list of all time greats. I don't give K as much support due to the fact he gets (year in & year out) the finest recruits in the country without effort. You are right about Pitino though, he should be right after Boeheim or Knight. Eddie Sutton had over 800 wins in only 37 seasons without top talent, lets not penalize the guy because he had a drinking problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_men's_basketball_coaches_with_600_wins

K
Pitino

Izzo
Self
Roy
Donovan
Boeheim

Belein
Stevens (he will be back soon enough)
Miller
Huggins
Larry Brown

Prove it:
Smart (personally think he's a one hit wonder)
Cronin
Pastner (not impressed yet)

That's a great list. Although, if Donovan gets Title #3 this year, I think Coach K is 1a and he is 1b.

HaHa, Of course you can include both in any list of all time greats. I don't give K as much support due to the fact he gets (year in & year out) the finest recruits in the country without effort. You are right about Pitino though, he should be right after Boeheim or Knight. Eddie Sutton had over 800 wins in only 37 seasons without top talent, lets not penalize the guy because he had a drinking problem.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_men's_basketball_coaches_with_600_wins

Eddie Sutton was the cheatingest coach to ever cheat at Kentucky and never won anything there.

John Wooden
Dean Smith
Bobby Knight
Izzo
Rick Pitino
Coach K
Jerry Tark
Gene Keady
Billy Donovan
Chaney

Boeheim, Calhoun, Olsen

1- Pitino
2-Coach K
3-Billy D
4-Bill self
5- Roy
6-Boeheim
7-Izzo
That's CURRENT best coaches.. Not based on prior wins thirty years ago... Past five years type deal

Best gameday coaches(In Game or just sheer execution offensively and defensively)
1. Pitino
2. K
3. Bennett
4. Beilein
5. Bo Ryan
6. Donavan
7. Marshall

Heck I thought the top ten NCAAB coaches were posters on this board?! Then Coach K etc. ;)

K gets great recruits because he built that program up. (not that they were never good, they played in the title game a few years before he got there, but they were not an elite program when he took it over)

To me, any list of the best coaches in college hoops has to start with K and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom