Best Player here since the turn of the century? | Syracusefan.com

Best Player here since the turn of the century?

Don

2nd String
I came across this list of the all time century team at Syracuse
http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2002/1/1/allcenturyteam.aspx

it got me thinking who was the best player here since the turn of the century we now have 12 years of history..

I think Dwight Freeney has to be in consideration. I think you have to throw Nassib in there as well and then Lemon, Pugh, will Allen I know Allen is a push since his last year was 2000 but he was good. Perhaps Delone Carter. i'm sure i'm missing someone.

as a side note I wanted to throw out what is the best individual game performance so far this century

I say its Diamond Ferri against BC on 2004 when he ran for like a 150 yards and an interception late in the game

QB - Nassib, followed by probably RJ Anderson
RB - Walter Reyes, followed by DC3 and Boonah Brinkley
WR - Mike Williams, Alec Lemon

Those are obviously the offensive stars since the turn of the century, in terms of skill positions.

Freeney is far and away the top defensive player, and then you have to throw in Art and Chandler Jones. Jameel McClain has to be in there, too, since he starts for the freaking Baltimore Ravens. One guy who might be off the radar a bit but would have to be in the discussion in terms of DBs would have to be Quentin Harris, along with Tanard Jackson and Anthony Smith.

QB - Nassib, followed by probably RJ Anderson
RB - Walter Reyes, followed by DC3 and Boonah Brinkley
WR - Mike Williams, Alec Lemon

Those are obviously the offensive stars since the turn of the century, in terms of skill positions.

Freeney is far and away the top defensive player, and then you have to throw in Art and Chandler Jones. Jameel McClain has to be in there, too, since he starts for the freaking Baltimore Ravens. One guy who might be off the radar a bit but would have to be in the discussion in terms of DBs would have to be Quentin Harris, along with Tanard Jackson and Anthony Smith.

Add a few to the list...

Derell Smith at LB
Doug Houge at LB

Fiametta at FB.

Provo at TE.

I hate trying to compare players at different positions and from different eras and stuff like that. I have no interest in Hall of Fame stuff, etc. But, having said that, this one is an absolute no-brainer -- Freeney by a mile. Actually by 10 miles.

Bulluck was drafted in 2000, so worthy name to have in the convo after Freeney.

The doesn't answer your question, but I'm surprised to not see Tebucky Jones on that list.

It's probably most fair to do it by position. And I'll do my top two (in no specific order)

QB - Nassib, hands down (not naming a second, too much of a gap between him and any other QB)
RB - Delone Carter, Walter Reyes
FB - Fiametta (too much of a gap to the next)
OT - Adam Terry, Justin Pugh
OG - Matt Tarullo, Quinn Ojinnaka
C - Nick Romeo, Macky MacPherson
TE - Nick Provo, Beckett Wales (I can't even remember our TE's the early part of the 2000's)
WR - Mike Williams, Alec Lemon (Morant and Lobdell were the biggest hyped but never amounted to much)

DE - Dwight Freeney, Chandler Jones
DT - Art Jones, Jay Bromley
LB - Derrell Smith, Doug Hogue, Keith Bullock and I'll add a fourth - Jameel McClain
CB - Will Allen, Brandon Reddish (I think he'll be outstanding his final two years - this is a futures pick lol)
S - Shamarko Thomas, Diamond Ferri, Anthony Smith

K - One of the Krautmans maybe

P - Brendan Carney, Rob Long

Ferri single handedly prevented bc from winning a big east championship. That is worth it's weight in gold.

Freeney. I did like the ferri mention though

The list begins and ends with Freeney. The single most dominant player I've ever seen play in college.

Freeney and nobody else is even close, even in the same discussion...it's not even worth taking or posting other names.

It's probably most fair to do it by position. And I'll do my top two (in no specific order)

QB - Nassib, hands down (not naming a second, too much of a gap between him and any other QB)
TE - Nick Provo, Beckett Wales (I can't even remember our TE's the early part of the 2000's)
WR - Mike Williams, Alec Lemon (Morant and Lobdell were the biggest hyped but never amounted to much)

LB - Derrell Smith, Doug Hogue, Keith Bullock and I'll add a fourth - Jameel McClain
CB - Will Allen, Brandon Reddish (I think he'll be outstanding his final two years - this is a futures pick lol)

I wonder if our all 2000 team could beat Bama this year

Agree with most. Bulluck was '99 though. Tanard Jackson has gotta be on that somewhere.

If you're saying most dominant game, Ferri has to be right there. I'd also submit Freeney's 4 sack game in 2000 against freaking Michael Vick. And I think those all came in the first half because he injured his spleen and didn't play the second. If you're saying most dominant player, there's no argument, Freeney.

Regarding the fullback position, I'll take Kyle Johnson 10 times out of 10 over Fiametta.

Agree with most. Bulluck was '99 though. Tanard Jackson has gotta be on that somewhere.
Bulluck was drafted in 2000, but yep, his last season was 99. I remember because I was in Montreal, in a pool hall, that April when he was drafted. First weekend I ever consumed alcohol in my life, which is why it stands out. If you were curious - first beer ever was a Labatt in Club Supersex the night before Bulluck went in the first round.

Yep forgot about Kyle and you're right on bullock.

If Tanard would stop being a stoner, he could be real good in the NFL. In his short time in the NFL he has played phenomenally, the problem is that he fails every drug test he takes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom