Best team not to win it all? | Syracusefan.com

Best team not to win it all?

H

HOFCeluck

We just completed a 34-3 season so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to revisit this to see if anyone changed their minds.

Personally while this team was fun to watch and capped off an historic BE regular season record, the lack of rebounding, not having a big man who was a reliable low post scorer and the overall down year the league had make me rank 2010 higher. I still think 1987 was the best overall, however.

What say you? And please don't hedge i.e. "welll 1989 was the most talented but 2010 was the best TEAM." Make a call.

I think the 1987-1988 team was the best regardless of the results of the season. Senior Rony, junior Sherman, sophomores Coleman and Thompson along with Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes and a bunch of other guys I can't remember right now. I can't put the 1990 team up there because they were not a complete team (lacking a point guard).

2010. two low post scorers. two 3 pt shooters.

SU 1989 - powerhouse team. If DC doesn't get injured in the season finale (even though he returned banged up for the Sweet 16 games) that team wins it all.

Close 2nd SU 1987. Better than IU in everything but FT shooting.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
sadly the best T E A M was 09-10' Jesus, losing AO still hurts when I think about it today. That was our 2nd title, and nothing will sway that thought. Best TEAM, I have ever seen in an orange uni :(

sadly the best T E A M was 09-10' Jesus, losing AO still hurts when I think about it today. That was our 2nd title, and nothing will sway that thought. Best TEAM, I have ever seen in an orange uni :(

Then you are young...'87 and '89 were just great teams

Does anyone really think the 2010 team would have been a one seed if they played in 1987?

Does anyone really think the 2010 team would have been a one seed if they played in 1987?

The 2010 team wasn't playing teams from 1987, they were playing teams from 2010.

SU 1989 - powerhouse team. If DC doesn't get injured in the season finale (even though he returned banged up for the Sweet 16 games) that team wins it all.

1989 was a great team. Senior Sherman, junior Stevie and Derrick (sp?) and freshman Billy Owens. I wish Sherman had reshirted his freshman year so that he could have come back for the 1990 season, then that would have hands down been the best SU team ever.

The 2010 team wasn't playing teams from 1987, they were playing teams from 2010.
And the 1987 team was playing teams from 1987 who were far superior to the Syracuse 2010 team. That is the point.

1. 1988-89 team
2. 1986-87 team
3. 1990-91 team
4. 1987-88 team
5. 2009-10 team
6. 2002-03 team
7. 1985-86 team
8. 2011-12 team

1989. That team was as loaded a team as SU fans will ever see.

Injured in the Big East Tournament Championship game against Georgetown. Hard (cheap) foul under the basket.

I don't really remember the 89 team as vividly as some others, as I was 9 and wasn't totally into basketball yet, so while I know that was far and away the most talented team we have ever had, I'll go with 2010.

Far superior? Based on what?

While it's somewhat subjective, one objective note was that good players stuck around much longer than now. It was often more of a news story if they didn't graduate than vice versa, as it is now. There were a lot of guys in the NCAA then that would be in the NBA today.

I think the 1987-1988 team was the best regardless of the results of the season. Senior Rony, junior Sherman, sophomores Coleman and Thompson along with Earl Duncan and Keith Hughes and a bunch of other guys I can't remember right now. I can't put the 1990 team up there because they were not a complete team (lacking a point guard).
That team was one of my favorites, but so frustrating. 8 of their 9 losses were by 4 points or less, and in most of them they shot 66% or worse from the FT line, with at least 10 misses.

While it's somewhat subjective, one objective note was that good players stuck around much longer than now. It was often more of a news story if they didn't graduate than vice versa, as it is now. There were a lot of guys in the NCAA then that would be in the NBA today.
Yep... Back then, there were 23 teams as opposed to 30 now. That's 105 more roster spots. Not only are there guys now in the NBA who couldn't have made it back then, they leave as underclassmen. The college talent is completely depleted now, in comparison to that era.

That's a complicated road to go down, I don't think that was the OP's intent. If this thread is about who would win in a game between 1987 players and 2010 players, that to me is totally different than asked who the "best" team is. Historically, what we consider to be the "best" players or teams are judged based on how good they are relative to the opponents they face.

Would fat drunk Babe Ruth lead the league in home runs in the year 2012? No, but he's considered one of the very greatest baseball players ever because he dominated in his time.

The 90-91 Vegas squad

:)

Before opening the thread that was what immediately came to mind before giving any thought to it. Glad to see I wasnt the only one!