Big East considers selling the name to departing Catholic schools | Syracusefan.com

Big East considers selling the name to departing Catholic schools

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Geez, the new commissioner Mike Aresco seems like he has been hired to negotiate the surrender of the c0nference.

First, after they turned down that big TV offer from ESPN (pre-Aresco, so we can't hang that on him ...), he winds up with a TV contract this is about 1/3 the value of the previous one. He's got a hodgepodge of schools left and the primary value is the equity in the conference name.

So he's going to sell it to the departing schools (who, admittedly have the most history with the name), so he's left having to come up with a new name for the conference. "Conference USA II" ??

Oh my God, this all could have happened to us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/s...lling-its-name-to-departing-members.html?_r=0

Come on, he already has a name and a logo ready to go.

SunBeastConf.jpg

Geez, the new commissioner Mike Aresco seems like he has been hired to negotiate the surrender of the c0nference.

First, after they turned down that big TV offer from ESPN (pre-Aresco, so we can't hang that on him ...), he winds up with a TV contract this is about 1/3 the value of the previous one. He's got a hodgepodge of schools left and the primary value is the equity in the conference name.

So he's going to sell it to the departing schools (who, admittedly have the most history with the name), so he's left having to come up with a new name for the conference. "Conference USA II" ??

Oh my God, this all could have happened to us.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/s...lling-its-name-to-departing-members.html?_r=0
There is still lots of money out there yet to be divvied--exit fees, entry fees, NCAA units. Other than the name and the MSG connection, that's the BE's biggest source of equity. And, the public will probably never know who ended up with what.

We should pool our money and buy it. I'm in for $50.
Yes, should all pitch in and buy it so that we can start the Big East division of the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

There is still lots of money out there yet to be divvied--exit fees, entry fees, NCAA units. Other than the name and the MSG connection, that's the BE's biggest source of equity. And, the public will probably never know who ended up with what.

Right. If all these schools can leave the conference and if the remaining ones can actually sell the name to a departing group, then why is SU required to leave its NCAA credits behind? Or pay exit fees to a conference where the existing members don't intend to even keep its name? Or, for that matter, why can't SU sue for a piece of the conference name? I was never a fan of litigation before and was glad to see SU not getting involved in the lawsuits other BE teams launched when teams left but why should SU pay to leave a conference or give up millions in credits to a conference which will have exactly 3.5 programs left out of the 16 it had when they announced their intention to leave for the ACC? There has to be a legal case here.

Right. If all these schools can leave the conference and if the remaining ones can actually sell the name to a departing group, then why is SU required to leave its NCAA credits behind? Or pay exit fees to a conference where the existing members don't intend to even keep its name? Or, for that matter, why can't SU sue for a piece of the conference name? I was never a fan of litigation before and was glad to see SU not getting involved in the lawsuits other BE teams launched when teams left but why should SU pay to leave a conference or give up millions in credits to a conference which will have exactly 3.5 programs left out of the 16 it had when they announced their intention to leave for the ACC? There has to be a legal case here.

I agree. Doesn't add up that these teams will be dividing up the booty, and going their separate ways. What happened to 27 months? Agree on the NCAA credits. Is ND getting some of SU's cash? And they could get out the same time we do? It's bizarre.

I have said many times that the best thing the "basketball-only" schools in the BE had was the BE brand. Looks they are going to take it with them. I expected the football teams to leave and the hoops schools would get the name by default...so this is a twist in that.

The reality is this is just the BE returning to what it was intended to be all along. I don't expect the Catholic 7 +3 to have the success long term that the BE had. But I think short term they will look good on paper, the games will be exciting, and the name brand schools will still be moderately successful.

The Original schools Georgetown, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Boston College, Connecticut, Syracuse. Three of the original were relevant through most of the 33 years Georgetown, Syracuse, Connecticut the other 4 were mostly wins for the first three. The 7 might have the name ,but to the nation without Syracuse, and UConn the name is a joke, should be put to rest, don't tarnish what was a great league.

The Original schools Georgetown, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Boston College, Connecticut, Syracuse. Three of the original were relevant through most of the 33 years Georgetown, Syracuse, Connecticut the other 4 were mostly wins for the first three. The 7 might have the name ,but to the nation without Syracuse, and UConn the name is a joke, should be put to rest, don't tarnish what was a great league.
It is still a marquee brand (albeit with less clout) and the basketball schools would be foolish not to take it with them. I don't think it's a joke at all and the remaining members can still have a solid basketball league. I have no stake in it as I am an SU fan but just thinking from a business standpoint, it's viable.

It is still a marquee brand (albeit with less clout) and the basketball schools would be foolish not to take it with them. I don't think it's a joke at all and the remaining members can still have a solid basketball league. I have no stake in it as I am an SU fan but just thinking from a business standpoint, it's viable.

It actually could be a pretty good league. There are some good brand names left, and coverage in major east coast cities. They should be a better version of the Atlantic 10.

If I recall, UConn was not relevant for the first 10 years or so. They did not help during the formative years and then reaped the rewards of the others toil. :D

If I recall, UConn was not relevant for the first 10 years or so. They did not help during the formative years and then reaped the rewards of the others toil. :D

Oh lord

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wrong if USF or Cincy get money out of "selling" the BE name. At least temple and Uconn put their time in. And don't get me started on Houston, or Memphis, or whatever other teams have slogged their bags into that "conference." The name belongs to SJU, Gtown, nova, et al. Granted, it will ever be the same, as you said. But they are what the BE was intended to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom