Big East Going to 12 FB Schools | Syracusefan.com

Big East Going to 12 FB Schools

Best post is the guy saying I'm putting my money on any of the 6 following schools. Then goes on to basically list the only 6 schools available, unless propping up an FCS.

I've been relatively kind to the BE leadership, since I do think their hands have been tied by the wildly diverging interests of the membership of the conference. But some of these Hail Mary's they're now contemplating are absolutely things they should have had on the table before SU and Pitt left.

Boise State and Navy for football? Should have done it last summer when they added TCU. The league hasn't made geographic sense in a decade, who cares if you're in Tampa, Milwaukee, Louisville, Ft. Worth or Boise. It's all varying shades of ridiculous anyway.

Obviously, additions like that wouldn't (and won't) help with the long-term stability of the league. But at least it would have added media value in the short-term.

"Big East releases a statement that it is ready to look at a 12-team football model."

There's a huge difference between "Big East Going to 12 FB Schools" and "Big East is ready to look at a 12-team football model."

More like: "The Big East may be considering expanding to 12 football schools."

orangenirvana -- I agree with you 100%. The first tweets after the teleconference seemed to indicate that going to 12 was a done deal. Now it appears that the Big East presidents and ADs merely authorized Marinatto to consider a 12-team model. That is, indeed, a big difference.

I've been relatively kind to the BE leadership, since I do think their hands have been tied by the wildly diverging interests of the membership of the conference. But some of these Hail Mary's they're now contemplating are absolutely things they should have had on the table before SU and Pitt left.

Boise State and Navy for football? Should have done it last summer when they added TCU. The league hasn't made geographic sense in a decade, who cares if you're in Tampa, Milwaukee, Louisville, Ft. Worth or Boise. It's all varying shades of ridiculous anyway.

Obviously, additions like that wouldn't (and won't) help with the long-term stability of the league. But at least it would have added media value in the short-term.

Is Boise worth it $ wise? Or are markets more important? The BE could go to 12/19 by adding Nova FB (Philly), SMU (Dallas), UMass (Boston), HOU (Houston and SMU travel partner), FIU (Miami), and UCF (Orlando). At this point I would think there is no hope of making money off the product. So why not go all out with markets?

“You can have 50 teams in basketball (in the conference),” the source said. “It doesn't matter. That's why they have the NCAA tournament.”

Thank God we are outta there.

Uh oh.

BREAKING NEWS: Big East releases a statement that it is ready to look at a 50-team basketball model.

The good news in this is that it will get the fans of the "left behinds" to stop fantasizing about new invitations for them to the B1G or the ACC or the Big 12 and start arguing about who is best suited to join the NNBE.

The UConn fans -- who apparently learned nothing from 2004 --- want to sue every one in sight. The Rutgers fans --- who have been offered credible testimony that the analysis done by the B1G shows that RU brings few actual incremental viewers to the party --- are still guaranteeing one another that an invitation is inevitable.

With 16 teams, Big Easyt basketball was more like an NCAA Region than it was a Conference. Twenty teams boggles the mind.

It could take them years to do anything and by then the FB portion of the league will be dead.

The New New BigEast that is being created is far from the BigEast of old. Only WVU and Rutgers are still there. Can they change the name back to CUSA II and keep the AQ bid? :)

Hopefully, they will get enough teams to play next year so we can move on.

It looks like the NNBE will limit basketball schools to 16 by adding most of the new football schools as football-only. Reportedly Air Force, Navy, Army, Temple as football onlies with UCF and ECU as all sports. Apparently they are considering Boise St. in place of Army who doesn't seem that interested. Boise would at least help them keep the AQ though their membership will last only as long it takes to get a better offer closer to home. Stability here will always be a problem as the schools are too diverse with different interests and agendas.

Marketing ploy if Boise State joins - all schools go to primary color turf based on school colors.