Big East Name Sale ... Bizarre | Syracusefan.com

Big East Name Sale ... Bizarre

Townie72

All American
I'm an old guy and I'd like to think "I have seen it all". But, I haven't as I am continually surprised at the world.

Consider as Exhibit A that Providence, Georgetown, Villanova and St John’s are going to have to buy the Big East name from Houston, South Florida and SMU.

I understand how this is happening. But when you step back from it, it's just nuts. It's absurd.

Just call it the New East and save millions of dollars. Who do they think they are going to fool? Not ESPN, they already made their offer. How embarrassing; whenever a player is compared to some league record holder, it will be a reminder of teams that left the league.

I just don't get why there is any value in the Big East name. The value was the tournament at MSG which won't go along with the name now since MSG has an escape clause due to the changed composition of whatever is left. I think both leagues...C7-12 and the left behinds/ CUSA defectors...should both get new names. The remaining credits from past NCAA tourney appearances can be a negotiated split of the money and as well as the exit fees in the kitty.

I just don't get why there is any value in the Big East name. The value was the tournament at MSG which won't go along with the name now since MSG has an escape clause due to the changed composition of whatever is left. I think both leagues...C7-12 and the left behinds/ CUSA defectors...should both get new names. The remaining credits from past NCAA tourney appearances can be a negotiated split of the money and as well as the exit fees in the kitty.

I would suggest for the left behinds/CUSA defectors the "EX-CUSA" league

For the C7-12 I would suggest the "LEast"

Reactions: MGP
Let em have the name- what are they going to do with it? They aren't exactly east...and pundits would mock it.

My guess is that MSG will be happier having the C7 Big East Tourney rather than the Football Big East Tourney.