Big East Prediction Thread on Boneyard | Syracusefan.com

Big East Prediction Thread on Boneyard

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Based on how Jay Bilas thinks the Big East will play out in 2012-13...

Linkage

1. Louisville
2. Syracuse
3. Notre Dame
4. Marquette
5. Pitt
6. Georgetown
7. Cincinnati
8. USF
9. Rutgers
10. UConn
11. St. John's
12. Villanova
13. Seton Hall
14. Providence
15. DePaul
My ranking...
1. Louisville
2. Syracuse
3. Pittsburgh
4. Notre Dame
5. Georgetown
6. USF
7. Cincinnati
8. Marquette
9. Rutgers
10. St John's
11. Providence
12. Connecticut
13. Villanova
14. Seton Hall
15. DePaul
I think UL, SU and Pitt are all top 10 teams. Pitt is really underrated, Adams is going to be a big help and they won't have the injury problems they had last season again.
Big gap from there...not sure there are any more sure fire top 25 programs in the conference. Like Jerian Grant and Otto Porter a lot, like the defense USF is playing now and Anthony Collins, so I elevated these teams over a bunch of similarly talented teams.
I don't like what UConn has back with its frontcourt and think the post season bans will hurt them. However, if anyone can motivate them and get them to play hard, it is Jim Calhoun.

So, is it a down year in the conf? I feel like we might have a few growing pains. Lot of guys need to step up into unfamiliar roles. Definitely excited to watch them grow though.

I feel like every year people say it's a down year for the conference but it rarely is. I think USF and Cincy will surprise some people

I feel like every year people say it's a down year for the conference but it rarely is. I think USF and Cincy will surprise some people
I think the Big East has a great group of coaches and that helps to keep the conference from having a down year. Yes Igor, I count JB among the great coaches. Calhoun, I can't stand him, but he is a great coach. Cronin, similar to Calhoun, I don't like the douchebag but he seems to be a good coach. Pitino is a great coach. Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright, jury is out. JTIII, he knows how to neutralize the talent on the floor, too bad it is the talent of his own players, he sucks.

Based on how Jay Bilas thinks the Big East will play out in 2012-13...(snip)

I think SU is going to go out as back to back champions- best frontcourt in the nation, possibly the best point guard in the nation to go with them.

I'm a big Mike Rice fan and I think Rutgers is going to be good - the surprise of the conference

the middle of the conference will once again be a mosh pit with not very much separating 4th place from 8th place and 9th place from 13h place, so aside from the top 3 and bottom 2, you can probably re-stack them in just about any order, but I'll go out on a limb and put Rutgers at #4
  1. Syracuse
  2. Louisville
  3. Pitt
  4. Rutgers
  5. Georgetown
  6. Notre Dame
  7. Marquette
  8. USF
  9. Cincinnati
  10. UConn
  11. Providence
  12. Villanova
  13. St. John's
  14. Seton Hall
  15. DePaul

I think SU is going to go out as back to back champions- best frontcourt in the nation, possibly the best point guard in the nation to go with them.

I'm a big Mike Rice fan and I think Rutgers is going to be good - the surprise of the conference

the middle of the conference will once again be a mosh pit with not very much separating 4th place from 8th place and 9th place from 13h place, so aside from the top 3 and bottom 2, you can probably re-stack them in just about any order, but I'll go out on a limb and put Rutgers at #4
  1. Syracuse
  2. Louisville
  3. Pitt
  4. Rutgers
  5. Georgetown
  6. Notre Dame
  7. Marquette
  8. USF
  9. Cincinnati
  10. UConn
  11. Providence
  12. Villanova
  13. St. John's
  14. Seton Hall
  15. DePaul

That's a pretty good list, Moqui. I actually think that DePaul will escape the cellar--not as a function of talent, but more of playing style. Their coach will have that team playing hard, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a step forward and be a tough game, a la USF last season.

Uconn has more backcourt talent than where I've rated them, but I have a feeling that they will start strong and then crap out. Their frontcourt absolutely blows.

1. Syracuse
  2. Louisville
  3. Pitt
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Georgetown
  6. USF
  7. Marquette
  8. Rutgers
  9. Providence
  10. Villanova
  11. DePaul
  12. Cincinnati
  13. St. John's
  14. Uconn
  15. Seton Hall

1. Syracuse
  2. Louisville
  3. Pitt
  4. Rutgers
  5. Georgetown
  6. Notre Dame
  7. Marquette
  8. USF
  9. Cincinnati
  10. UConn
  11. Providence
  12. Villanova
  13. St. John's
  14. Seton Hall
  15. DePaul

I like Rice too but the loss of Gilvydas Biruta, who announced he was transferring out in May, hurts them quite a bit. He was a good player.

That's a pretty good list, Moqui. I actually think that DePaul will escape the cellar--not as a function of talent, but more of playing style. Their coach will have that team playing hard, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them take a step forward and be a tough game, a la USF last season.

Uconn has more backcourt talent than where I've rated them, but I have a feeling that they will start strong and then crap out. Their frontcourt absolutely blows.

1. Syracuse
  2. Louisville
  3. Pitt
  4. Notre Dame
  5. Georgetown
  6. USF
  7. Marquette
  8. Rutgers
  9. Providence
  10. Villanova
  11. DePaul
  12. Cincinnati
  13. St. John's
  14. Uconn
  15. Seton Hall

UConn's backcourt has a chance to be special if everyone clicks (who knows if that happens when Nappier is still there), but yeah their frontcourt is horrid and the worst we've seen in at least a decade from Calhoun. I think DePaul will be improved and you made good points, but I'm not so sure they make the jump all the way to 11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom