Big news on #44? | Syracusefan.com

Big news on #44?

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
Just read one of OE links on FL where he said he was told they'd unretire the #44 for special occassions (players, I'd assume). Am I late to the party or is this news? Great if true.

Nope. The 44 jersey is now hanging on the wall at the Anchor Inn.

They plan to un-retire the number for select SU fans. Special SU fans can now wear the #44 for only $59.95.
sign me up coach, unless of course I get a better offer from DM and the Bills...

Actually, I think Doug took #44 and the Jim Brown bust with him to Buffalo. He also took all the complimentary soaps, bathrobes, towels, the ashtray, the iron, ironing board, TV, phone and King James Bible.

He would've taken the coat hangers, but they were the cheesy ones without the hooks on the end...

Actually, I think Doug took #44 and the Jim Brown bust with him to Buffalo. He also took all the complimentary soaps, bathrobes, towels, the ashtray, the iron, ironing board, TV, phone and King James Bible.

He would've taken the coat hangers, but they were the cheesy ones without the hooks on the end...
He also took my daughter's virginity and my first born son.

Hopefully he took all those extra L&T bathrobes.

Recent article about Floyd Little said he would have it un-retired for his grandson.

Another GENIUS post. Not sarcasm, loved it!!

From Floyd Little: "In 2005, during Syracuse's Homecoming game against South Florida, Syracuse finally retired No. 44. It now sits in the rafters of the Carrier Dome. I was there for that unforgettable weekend culminating in the halftime retirement ceremony where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis's mother, Marie Fleming, and other great players including Bill Schoonover, Michael Owens, Rob Konrad, and I were each given a replica No. 44 jersey and helmet from our playing days. My family and friends were there, including my grandson, Blaze Kennedy Jones, to whom I gave my jersey and helmet. I've been told that the university may un-retire the jersey for special occasions. One of them will be when Blaze goes to Syracuse and plays tailback for the Orange. He'll wear his Poppy's number proud. I'm 70 years old, but I'm eating right and staying in shape in hopes that I'll be around to see Blaze wear No. 44."

Did he leave Ernie's Heisman?

I actually liked the idea someone had before... it should be a rotating jersey, worn by a different person/captain every game, in an honorary fashion. I think this would be a great move.

From Floyd Little: "In 2005, during Syracuse's Homecoming game against South Florida, Syracuse finally retired No. 44. It now sits in the rafters of the Carrier Dome. I was there for that unforgettable weekend culminating in the halftime retirement ceremony where Jim Brown, Ernie Davis's mother, Marie Fleming, and other great players including Bill Schoonover, Michael Owens, Rob Konrad, and I were each given a replica No. 44 jersey and helmet from our playing days. My family and friends were there, including my grandson, Blaze Kennedy Jones, to whom I gave my jersey and helmet. I've been told that the university may un-retire the jersey for special occasions. One of them will be when Blaze goes to Syracuse and plays tailback for the Orange. He'll wear his Poppy's number proud. I'm 70 years old, but I'm eating right and staying in shape in hopes that I'll be around to see Blaze wear No. 44."

Blaze is 7 or perhaps 8 years old. Based on this picture, taken on 9/15/11 at the dedication of an athletic center named after Floyd in New Haven, I think he is about 3'6 and 60 pounds.

doc4ff212e73acea607529738.jpg

Blaze Kennedy Jones Syracusefan.com Bio

Note that I can't list him at the proper height or class due to database issues (who knew we would be targeting kids under 10)?

Blaze is 7 or perhaps 8 years old. Based on this picture, taken on 9/15/11 at the dedication of an athletic center named after Floyd in New Haven, I think he is about 3'6 and 60 pounds.

Note that I can't list him at the proper height or class due to database issues (who knew we would be targeting kids under 10)?
idk. He looks taller than Floyd in that picture.

Yeah... I am sure Floyd was half-joking about Blaze but I was referring more to what I bolded: "I've been told that the university may un-retire the jersey for special occasions."

That may or may not be a joke too...just wanted to share it though.

Just read one of OE links on FL where he said he was told they'd unretire the #44 for special occassions (players, I'd assume). Am I late to the party or is this news? Great if true.
Mike I have been telling any one who would listen, actually have posted it on this board several times too over the years that Daryl said that. He said it directly to me at the time 44 was being retired.

What's his 40 time?

Those Gideons are going to be pissed.

Think this is old news and been mentioned before - the quote is from his book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom