Bigeast/bigten announcement in nyc on monday | Syracusefan.com

Bigeast/bigten announcement in nyc on monday

Chris02M

Football Schedule Maven
Tom Dienhart‏@BTNTomDienhart 2m
Big East/Big Ten basketball announcement on Monday at 12.30 pm ET in New York.

anyone with any clues on what it is about?

Perhaps Big East/B1G basketball matchups at the Garden.

This is all about negotiations. In negotiations with ESPN the B1G wants more leverage. They will either get ESPN to overpay them some figure that is ridliciously high or the B1G will send its TV rights in 2016 to its BTN partner FOX.

Fox Sports 1 only has the Big East Basketball, half of the Big XII football and zero Big XII basketball, half of the Pac-12 football and basketball.

ESPN has the SEC football(except tier 1 games on CBS), half of the Big XII football, and all of Big XII basketball, half of the Pac-12 football and basketball, and ALL of the ACC.

The B1G rights are up in 2016 and its obvious that the B1G will at best for ESPN be split with FOX. Fox currently has the B1G football title game, and withtthe BTN/FOX relationship I would bet atleast a half of the B1G rights will be on FOX. I think ESPN now realizes this and will have the SEC, ACC, Big XII, Pac-12 while FOX will have B1G, Big XII football, Pac-12, Big East basketball.

I would prefer ESPN to FS1 all day long. FS1 tries so hard to be cool its sucks.

The B1G desperately wants basketball games in MSG (st. John's) and the Verizon Center (Gtown) in DC as part of their eastern expansion and market assault. This just facilitates that. They are not doing it for games in Omaha or Cincinnati.

I laugh every time I hear talk about Conferences trying to weasel their way into new and bigger markets.

Every time I hear it I picture a dinosaur trying to fight for room under a big tree as the armageddon asteroid draws near.

I'd like to see one of these conferences stick it to ESPN/Fox/etc and set up their own service ala netflix or the wwe network. $10 a month for all conference/non-conference games, a vast library of historical games, and original support programming (highlights, countdown shows, coaches interviews, etc).

The B1G desperately wants basketball games in MSG (st. John's) and the Verizon Center (Gtown) in DC as part of their eastern expansion and market assault. This just facilitates that. They are not doing it for games in Omaha or Cincinnati.
B1G will have 9 conference games in DC area with Maryland and the B1G could play non-conferences games in MSG if they wanted to without St. John's on the schedule like Duke does, or with Jimmy V Classic.

This isn't about the B1G wanting games in these markets its about inventory for Fox Sports 1 with B1G teams and sending a message to ESPN in contract negotiations about ratings they will draw for FS1 and what ESPN will lose if they don't overpay.

B1G will have 9 conference games in DC area with Maryland and the B1G could play non-conferences games in MSG if they wanted to without St. John's on the schedule like Duke does, or with Jimmy V Classic.

This isn't about the B1G wanting games in these markets its about inventory for Fox Sports 1 with B1G teams and sending a message to ESPN in contract negotiations about ratings they will draw for FS1 and what ESPN will lose if they don't overpay.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. Just think the additional basketball exposure in those 2 markets is part of the thinking too. Also...I don't know when the B1G-ACC Challenge comes up for renewal but this may be the B1G transitioning to a replacement and not renewing the ACC Challenge which is an ESPN entity.