Biggest area we miss Doug Marrone is game planning | Syracusefan.com

Biggest area we miss Doug Marrone is game planning

Alsacs

Living Legend
In our biggest 3 games this year Penn State, Northwestern, Clemson I have no idea what our game plan going into the game was. Doug Marrone was a genius at preparing the kids and adjusting to the opponent. I thought yesterday we started the game off like chickens with our heads cut off and poof it was 21-0 out there. Shafer's coaching is fine I just think we need better game plans.
Also, I counted how many times we started each drive with shotgun dive play by the RBs it was 6 straight drives. Clemson is very talented and hopefully they or FSU play for a NC. I thought we played better in the 2nd half and thank you Scott Shafer for actually trying out there going for a couple of 4th downs, faking that punt.
The punting situation has improved and we have our new Rob Long. On the FG unit Horton has to make a 42 yd field goal or atleast not make it look completely terrible like he did today. Eskridge killed the secondary in the game he needs to improve or be replaced. I would say what impressed today was that Clemson had to actually spy Terrel Hunt basically every play I like that we have dual threat QB now and if the OL passes blocks better we have a potential QB out there who can be special.

Congrats to Clemson Seacrest out.

I don't know, I did enjoy the early timeouts to get beer. We looked lost and that bothered me...a lot.

Loved the fakes but we have miles to go before we take this ACC thing.

Hunt looking for an open receiver was like driving in the winter in a snow storm...you have to squint and stare to see an opening. I was hoping his running would open things up but the Clemson DB's could easily go one on one on our receivers and by doing their jobs, the rest of the team could contain Hunt.

In our biggest 3 games this year Penn State, Northwestern, Clemson I have no idea what our game plan going into the game was. Doug Marrone was a genius at preparing the kids and adjusting to the opponent. I thought yesterday we started the game off like chickens with our heads cut off and poof it was 21-0 out there. Shafer's coaching is fine I just think we need better game plans.

I agree with this, though I would double down on game planning PLUS sheer execution from the D in the first quarter. To be beaten by better talent is one thing (like the 91-yd TD), but our back seven were nowhere to be found on the majority of its first half plays. Scary confusion on our end.

I sooooooo crave the Monday AM Rahme Review where he sheds light on the Friday conversation with Marrone on what they saw on tape and what they planned to attack/expose. It would really give the fan base a sense of how Shafer thinks and prepares. Drat.

He Who Shall Not Be Named was excellent at game planning and lousy at game management. BTW he continues to be so in the NFL.

He was lousy at recruiting but excellent at finding underrated players and coaching them up.

He has a lot of positives but at the end of the day, he was full of BS (probably believes his own BS) and just an opportunist like every coach these days. Just what it is these days.

This game reminded me of the Pitt game 2 or 3 yrs ago at home. I think marrone was here to game plan for that one. Ofcourse coaching is critical but talent is 15x more important. It's too early to judge SHAFER and staff with this group.

He Who Shall Not Be Named was excellent at game planning and lousy at game management. BTW he continues to be so in the NFL.

He was lousy at recruiting but excellent at finding underrated players and coaching them up.

He has a lot of positives but at the end of the day, he was full of BS (probably believes his own BS) and just an opportunist like every coach these days. Just what it is these days.
You wrote that in a harsh way, but I think the assessment is pretty accurate.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This game reminded me of the Pitt game 2 or 3 yrs ago at home. I think marrone was here to game plan for that one. Ofcourse coaching is critical but talent is 15x more important. It's too early to judge SHAFER and staff with this group.
Exactly

Same setup ... huge crowd nullified in thirty seconds as the team looked lost and outmatched out there

You wrote that in a harsh way, but I think the assessment is pretty accurate.

Objectively, I must give credit and be thankful to HWSNBN for saving the program. Four more years of GRobish like play and we would have wound up in the AAC. Emotionally, I bought into his BS and based a lot of my defense of him during the dark times on a belief that he was our best bet for the long term. Had I thought he was a short timer I might have felt differently.

What's with the He Who Shall Not Be Named nonsense. You mean the guy that saved the program should be shoved down the memory hole. Yah, that makes sense.

As for lousy game management, whatever that is supposed to mean, there's a couple of two minutes drives for wins that I can think of that don't support that assertion at all. And it's a hell of a lot more important to be able to prepare and game plan to come down on whatever side YOU think the right call is on a 50/50 decision.

Objectively, I must give credit and be thankful to HWSNBN for saving the program. Four more years of GRobish like play and we would have wound up in the AAC. Emotionally, I bought into his BS and based a lot of my defense of him during the dark times on a belief that he was our best bet for the long term. Had I thought he was a short timer I might have felt differently.

Then it's a you problem. Doesn't have anything to do with the guys performance. If he saved the program, then he did his job, because that is what he was brought in here to do.

We didn't have a goal line offense until week 5 last year. Marrone was not exactly perfect.

Guess what talent wise we are way behind Clemson, Florida St, and probably Miami. When the Big East football conference started Miami was the best team those first years by far, it took a while to get good players out of Florida. We need to get bigger, and faster players in order to compete at this level. The only player on our 1st team defense, that would compete on a team like Clemson is Bromley, and he is undersized for a Defensive Tackle.

We didn't have a goal line offense until week 5 last year. Marrone was not exactly perfect.
We turned the corner before we had a goal line offense.

I agree that Marrone had lousy game management-too much done by the NFL "book", but how exactly was he a lousy recruiter. He didn't land the big-time guys, but he got SU back in the conversation with a lot of kids, as well as completely rebuilding the relationship with NYS coaches.

Recruiting might have been different if the IPF was built when it was promised at Marrone's hiring, or if DG invested the money into the program to get better asst. coaches and more support staff (which still needs to happen sooner than later).

Then it's a you problem. Doesn't have anything to do with the guys performance. If he saved the program, then he did his job, because that is what he was brought in here to do.

Not my problem, just my feelings on the matter. I gave him credit and said I was thankful but that I disliked the fact that he sold me on a false premise. If you have a problem with that, it is not my problem.

I vividly remember the dark days before his deification. Especially, 2011-2012 when we had a streak of losing 10 of 14 games and 7 of 10. I defended him because I thought he would become our Frank Beamer or, more appropriately, Pat Fitzgerald and that it was worth toughing it out for the long-term benefits. Why, because that is what he told us to believe.

He was a no-name candidate and we got lucky. We don't know if we would have gotten lucky with another no name who might still be here. Had Justin not returned when he did and 2012 was another disaster, I don't know if he would have survived. He was 25-25 and 11-17 in conference (a lousy conference at that), granted, a great improvement over GRob but not exactly the stuff of legends. And the trend was heading down - sharply.

So, I give him the credit he deserves. He saved the program and used us as a stepping stone - fair enough, an even trade. But pardon me, if I expected more because he encouraged me to do so.

Lastly, any coach will tell you that game plans, like battle plans, go out the window once the shooting starts. How the game is managed, the chess match if you like, if far more important than any static analysis. Game management and in particular clock management are not his strong points. He's a CEO type binder guy.

Last edited:
Not my problem, just my feelings on the matter. I gave him credit and said I was thankful but that I disliked the fact that he sold me on a false premise. If you have a problem with that, it is not my problem.

I vividly remember the dark days before his deification. Especially, 2011-2012 when we had a streak of losing 10 of 14 games and 7 of 10. I defended him because I thought he would become our Frank Beamer or, more appropriately, Pat Fitzgerald and that it was worth toughing it out for the long-term benefits. Why, because that is what he told us to believe.

He was a no-name candidate and we got lucky. We don't know if we would have gotten lucky with another no name who might still be here. Had Justin not returned when he did and 2012 was another disaster, I don't know if he would have survived. He was 25-25 and 11-17 in conference (a lousy conference at that), granted, a great improvement over GRob but not exactly the stuff of legends. And the trend was heading down - sharply.

So, I give him the credit he deserves. He saved the program and used us as a stepping stone - fair enough, an even trade. But pardon me, if I expected more because he encouraged me to do so.

Lastly, any coach will tell you that game plans, like battle plans, go out the window once the shooting starts. How the game is managed, the chess match if you like, if far more important than any static analysis. Game management and in particular clock management are not his strong points. He's a CEO type binder guy.

Marrone was far from perfect, but (with respect to Shafer) he is better than we have now. I don't love the way he left, especially as it relates to Hackett and a ton of staff defections, but welcome to free-market capitalism.

If you are still hurt because he left and you thought we had another Boeheim situation, all I can say is those situations are beyond rare. And on top that, let the guy live his own damn life.

Marrone was far from perfect, but (with respect to Shafer) he is better than we have now. I don't love the way he left, especially as it relates to Hackett and a ton of staff defections, but welcome to free-market capitalism.

If you are still hurt because he left and you thought we had another Boeheim situation, all I can say is those situations are beyond rare. And on top that, let the guy live his own damn life.
Sure, I am all for that and but I am entitled to do that also. Coaches that ask for our support are fair game. I don't wish him or anyone else ill but that does not mean I have to like him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom