Biggest disappointment about Joseph so far... | Syracusefan.com

Biggest disappointment about Joseph so far...

supp

Hall of Fame
is lack of quickness. Last two games really made it evident to me. LaTech and SJU both had some strong defenders on the perimeter and he really had a tough time beating them to spots, let alone beating them off the dribble. It's also obvious on defense where once he gets beat there's no chance of recovery.

is lack of quickness. Last two games really made it evident to me. LaTech and SJU both had some strong defenders on the perimeter and he really had a tough time beating them to spots, let alone beating them off the dribble. It's also obvious on defense where once he gets beat there's no chance of recovery.
Yeah it's weird I noticed it too. I don't think he lacks quicks though, I think he's just a beat late on everything.

I watched him go 7-9 from the floor against that good Canadian team that I always forget the name of. He was under control, didn't make a lot of mistakes, made his mid range jumpers, made a nice floater or two in the line, finished at the rim...he looked good!

I'm holding on to that and thinking that there's something there. He just needs a lot of work and isn't quite ready. It happens. We've been spoiled with Ennis, Flynn, GMac, Edelin, and Triche. But if we think back further, guys like Autry and especially Hart struggled as freshmen at times.

...and another one

Sorry, I didn't see Scotch's thread. Usually I'm good with reading the board before posting. Been away for a bit and wanted to post some thoughts I had after watching the last two games for the first time today.

I watched him go 7-9 from the floor against that good Canadian team that I always forget the name of. He was under control, didn't make a lot of mistakes, made his mid range jumpers, made a nice floater or two in the line, finished at the rim...he looked good!

I'm holding on to that and thinking that there's something there. He just needs a lot of work and isn't quite ready. It happens. We've been spoiled with Ennis, Flynn, GMac, Edelin, and Triche. But if we think back further, guys like Autry and especially Hart struggled as freshmen at times.

You bet. Haven't given up hope. Still hoping it's the speed of the game that's he's getting used to. I just thought that this would be an area where Joseph would be a clear upgrade over Ennis. Not the case so far. Kaleb looks to be Ennis' equal athletically whereas I assumed he'd be his superior. That may well be because Ennis was a smarter player at the same age, making him look quicker on the court than he actually was.

Give the kid a break already. He has been thrown into being a starting point guard due to circumstances that were not expected and beyond anyone's control. He was supposed to have AT LEAST a year of apprenticeship way out of the spotlight. He got thrown into the frying pan and he is getting scalded (and unnecessarily scolded here) for it. It's enough already. Besides, this team has problems everywhere you look.

Give the kid a break already. He has been thrown into being a starting point guard due to circumstances that were not expected and beyond anyone's control. He was supposed to have AT LEAST a year of apprenticeship way out of the spotlight. He got thrown into the frying pan and he is getting scalded (and unnecessarily scolded here) for it. It's enough already. Besides, this team has problems everywhere you look.
fair point but this is a fan board and KJ has been awful. Should he be on the bench learning during practices? Yes. But he isn't.

Joseph looked a lot better to me vs. LaTech; he's still a long way from being a true "PG"...but the shots he was takign were smart and he took what the defense gave him; he hit a few jumpers, a floater, and did an ok job penetrating. When he was looking to score vs. them he played well. It will come.

Great post. Before reading your post, I was about to say... "Hey, what about a post saying 'Here are some positive things about KJ?'" He did not commit here thinking he was going to be the starting PG this year. We did not recruit him thinking he would be the starting PG this year. Talk about "eating your young." We've made an art form of it here.

Last edited:
If JB sticks with him and gives him minutes , the Nova game will be a serious test for him.

The fact that he's a freshman and thrown to the wolves is a valid qualifier, but it doesn't preclude a fan from posting what he or she is seeing.

I was thinking about this today and came to the realization that Kaleb has something to offer that we desperately need, and it ain't a point guard. This kid can score. He is one of those guys that can put the ball in the bucket. Those guys are born not made. Sure this point guard gig seems to with him pretty good right now, but he'll either eventually get it or be moved off it..but Im fairly certain he WILL be able to score. In this era of Cuse hoops, that facet of his game may actually be more valuable to us than distribution

I'm fine with the need to be a little positive, but I am not going to buy into the "he didn't expect to start this year". Every recruit SU gets should come in with the mindset that they are going to start or be a major contributor and I don't think Joseph is any different. If anything I think he's like MCW in that they are scorers who happened to play PG- that's just where the game is right now and I expect he'll be getting better as he adjusts to the college game.

By all accounts he's a hard worker and open to coaching and once he trusts his instincts more, he'll be able to continue to grow.

We are 10 games into this kid's college career and some folks on this forum act like he's a finished product.
Its baffling some of the posts that have sprung up- u have to double check just to make sure some of them are serious.
Kaleb bashing, not to mention overall SU Team bashing is becoming a blood sport here.
And no, before someone pops up w/ the "just telling it like it is" mantra, the fact is there are little if no qualifiers used to make various points.
Instant gratification, entitlement, stunning lack of patience, and overall cynicism seem to drive the bus.
Classic Syracuse insecurity on full display. Unreal.
JMHO Oh Lord

We are 10 games into this kid's college career and some folks on this forum act like he's a finished product.
Its baffling some of the posts that have sprung up- u have to double check just to make sure some of them are serious.
Kaleb bashing, not to mention overall SU Team bashing is becoming a blood sport here.
And no, before someone pops up w/ the "just telling it like it is" mantra, the fact is there are little if no qualifiers used to make various points.
Instant gratification, entitlement, stunning lack of patience, and overall cynicism seem to drive the bus.
Classic Syracuse insecurity on full display. Unreal.
JMHO Oh Lord

It's not just Syracuse.

I think Kaleb Joseph will be a very good player for us, just not this year. I'm not thrilled with his lack of productivity to this point, but I envision him being a very nice 3 or 4 year player. And to be honest, I like having some continuity rather than rental players for a year. Unless their name happens to be Carmelo. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom