Biggest free throw each decade | Syracusefan.com

Biggest free throw each decade

gilardino

Starter
87: stevie thompson hits a 1 and 1 vs carolina to put cuse up 79-75, cuse wins game 79-75 in elite 8

96: jason cipolla misses first free throw, but makes second to give cuse a 60-57 lead in elite 8 and cuse wins 60-57

03: cuse up 80-78 vs kansas in title game, dunay misses the first, but makes the second putting cuse 81-78, cuse wins title 81-78

12, cuse up 62 -61 vs wisconsin, scoop hits both free throws, expanding lead to 64-61, cuse wins 64-63

****take note how close those games were, wow, 1 miss and who knows, make your free throws*****

Its hard to argue the Duany free throws from 03, but I really think you could make a case for Jeremy McNeil's against Pittsburgh in '03 as well, and I think I would lean towards those. Obviously wasn't the championship game, but that game was a part of getting the three seed, were completely unexpected. Its hard... I really want to argue for McNeil, but its almost a case of whether free throws in a championship can be trumped or not.

87: stevie thompson hits a 1 and 1 vs carolina to put cuse up 79-75, cuse wins game 79-75 in elite 8

96: jason cipolla misses first free throw, but makes second to give cuse a 60-57 lead in elite 8 and cuse wins 60-57

03: cuse up 80-78 vs kansas in title game, dunay misses the first, but makes the second putting cuse 81-78, cuse wins title 81-78

12, cuse up 62 -61 vs wisconsin, scoop hits both free throws, expanding lead to 64-61, cuse wins 64-63

****take note how close those games were, wow, 1 miss and who knows, make your free throws*****

In the '96 Kansas game, I would vote for Otis Hill's (love that guy) sinking 2 huge FTs in the last minute, which basically iced that game. For whatever reason, I still remember how confident he was at the line, in spite of his not being a great FT guy. Great win, great memory.

How about Duany going 4-4 in the last 30 seconds against Auburn in the 03 FF run. Auburn hit 5 3's in the last 1:20 to almost steal the game and end the whole run. Any one of those FT misses could have cost the whole thing.

In 87, DC's ft misses were pretty big. Arguably the biggest misses in program history. Obviously he had a terrific game and we didn't lose because of his free throws. That said, if he would have made them... Woulda coulda shoulda. I probably would have air-balled 'em.

OH FOR FLUCKS SAKE... Let's just lay the other lists out there
  1. Biggest jockstrap each decade
  2. Biggest booger JB ever picked each decade
  3. Ugliest sneakers by decade
  4. Best dome dog by decade

Man, i was just going over the PBP for that Wiscy game again, Scoop made those FT with 3:50 left. We didn't score over the last 4 minutes.

And my vote for biuggest FT miss of the decade might go to Kris for clanging a 1 and 1 with like 10 seconds left in that game

not to nitpik... but in 2 of them, they did miss ft's, both of which would have given us a 2 possession lead.

true, but the one free throw was enough

because kansas 96 and kansas 03 couldnt take advantage. They still had an opportunity.

I'm sure there are plenty of cases where a team missed 1 of 2 to put them up 3 and the opposing team came down and hit a 3.

because kansas 96 and kansas 03 couldnt take advantage. They still had an opportunity.

I'm sure there are plenty of cases where a team missed 1 of 2 to put them up 3 and the opposing team came down and hit a 3.
however, 96 and 03 Kansas were forced to take a 3, because of the made free throw. had jason or duany missed, kansas has options, a 2, or a 3. changed how we played defense and they played offense

however, 96 and 03 Kansas were forced to take a 3, because of the made free throw. had jason or duany missed, kansas has options, a 2, or a 3. changed how we played defense and they played offense

but you are still giving them an opportunity specifically because of a missed ft.

you make those 1/3 times. if those are the last 2... the next 1 may not be as good.

How about Baye in the 2013 Big East semi-final against Georgetown? He was what, 7-7? He was key to winning that game, getting us a 4 seed in the East in the NCAAs, and erasing the memory of that nightmare blow-out loss to Georgetown a week earlier. I would vote for those FTs in this decade

but you are still giving them an opportunity specifically because of a missed ft.

you make those 1/3 times. if those are the last 2... the next 1 may not be as good.
don't be a negative nelly like igor and a majority of cuse fans, we won those game, however if both free throws were missed, the 96 and 03 kansas teams could have tied or won the game, instead they were forced to take threes' ,it changed how we played defense

How about Baye in the 2013 Big East semi-final against Georgetown? He was what, 7-7? He was key to winning that game, getting us a 4 seed in the East in the NCAAs, and erasing the memory of that nightmare blow-out loss to Georgetown a week earlier. I would vote for those FTs in this decade

speaking of that... i would actually give thought to mcneil's 2 ft's vs Pitt in 2003. IMO, that was the launching pad to 4/7/03.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom