Biggest Wildcard on the Roster....... | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Wildcard on the Roster.......

newmexicuse

All Conference
In terms of the player himself, I would go with Newton, though I do not expect him to get too much court time this season. I simply do not think we have any real idea what we have in this kid, hopefully a lot.

In terms of guys likely to be in the rotation, I would go with Griffin. He is the guy who needs to replace Elijah. I would not expect him to give us as much as Elijah did, but if he cant get us 80% of that production we will have issues.

In terms of the player himself, I would go with Newton, though I do not expect him to get too much court time this season. I simply do not think we have any real idea what we have in this kid, hopefully a lot.

In terms of guys likely to be in the rotation, I would go with Griffin. He is the guy who needs to replace Elijah. I would not expect him to give us as much as Elijah did, but if he cant get us 80% of that production we will have issues.

I think Griffin is more White III than 3lijah. JG3 and Richmond need to ball out, and I am optimistic they can

What’s going on at practices? Anyone stand out consistently as best player?

I'll vote for Braswell, he came in as a project type of player but has had a year to work on what he needs to do. Let's see if he's put in the time and has the athletic ability to contribute this year.

I'll vote for Braswell, he came in as a project type of player but has had a year to work on what he needs to do. Let's see if he's put in the time and has the athletic ability to contribute this year.

Honestly, I don't think it matters what Bras did or didn't do.
He's virtually guaranteed to be the 4th forward, in a 3 forward rotation featuring:
Marek, Griffin, QG. (assuming Candyman is at or near 100%)

Who sits so BBBB gets minutes?

Kadary is the wildcard.
Since he can, at least in theory, play 1-3 for us.
Does he progress quickly enough, so that JB actually doesn't play JGIII and Jackson for the full 40 every night?
If so, then that's HUGE for us.

Frank has the athleticism to be a major contributor. In addition he is by all accounts aggressive. Kid has an edge which we have been sorely lacking in the paint.

Every time somebody asks my about him I tell them it looks like he dunks while he’s still on the way up. Dude has probably hit his head on the backboard a few times

QG.

He looked like a grown man in the ACC with a hurt groin. That is not easy. Kids the real deal, scrap wise. The type of player you need to win and be the Syracuse we know and love again. Look forward to watching him make a leap alongside MD

I think Newton is without doubt the last scholarship player off the bench*, so I question your logic.

Hope he is patient and bides his time. He is going to be very good a couple of years down the road. Spend this year working on your game and building up your body Woody!

I think the biggest wildcards on the roster are Edwards and Anselem. One of them is going to play quite a bit and get dibs as the starting center job for next season, I have little idea which one is going to win that battle.

*=I guess Chaz Owens is on scholarship, so this probably isn’t true. Still, I do not expect the Woodman to play any meaningful minutes his true frosh season.

Last edited:
If they even decide to do RS this year, think Woody would be a RS candidate (if all freshman are going to automatically get 5 years of eligibility, there's really no point to a RS). Still think he's above John Bol Ajak and Chazz in the rotation but definently towards the bottom. Bras and Woody in theory are going to add the same value, 3 point shooting and defensive length in the zone.

I think it's Quincy G

The NC State game last year was a glimpse of what he can do
He can be a beast, for sure. I hope he’s worked on his free throw shooting, because he is the kind of guy that can live at the line and get other team’s bigs in foul trouble.

I’m going with Kadary because he’s a freshman guard that we need to be a solid contributor.

Given the wildly different results we’ve gotten from freshman guards that we needed in recent years...I have no idea what to expect.

The 5 guys that played a lot last year that are back, I think I more or less know what to expect from them.

Griffin is a bit of a wildcard too, though his solid production in the Big Ten makes me pretty confident that he’ll be a nice contributor.

And I don’t expect the other guys to get enough time to make a difference.

If by "wildcard" you mean a player whose performance this year will trump = outperform the 'high cards' = better players of the other teams, then that means something more than just the "surprise" or "unexpected" performer who creates a lot of wins for us, yes?

By that definition, I see 3 candidates who could fulfill that special kind of role: Quincy, Marek, & Kadary.

We already know how impactful Quincy can be. If a healthy QG suddenly becomes a 3pt threat, he predicts to become quite a dominant force on the court, both on offense & defense. Maybe that's a big if, but were it to pan out, he'd probably become our starting SF.

We already know how impactful Marek is when he's on the court. With him getting the green light as this team's first scoring option, IF he also can start reliably hitting his 3pt shots, there may be no stopping him from dominating games whenever he's on the court. I'm suspecting there is a good chance of this.

Based solely on reports and JB's comments, Kadary could become the guy who is unstoppable on offense, and IF he can also show that he can play defense with equal proficiency, it could be he who is the team's Trump Card difference maker.

Frank could also conceivably blow up in this way, but I haven't heard enough high praise of him dominating the middle in practice to make me think he doesn't have quite a bit more to learn about playing Center in college.

Buddy & Joe & Alan & Sidibe will all have their nights, but if they become regularly dominant vs the toughest opponents, I will frankly be surprised...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom