Biggest winners and losers from the Florida State National Title | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest winners and losers from the Florida State National Title

If Swofford wanted PSU, he should have added SU and Pitt, and then followed with Buttgers. Get ND in. Then He should have pulled out all of the stops to keep Maryland in the fold, and they would have stayed. Only then would he have had a chance at PSU. And im still doubtful that psu would have jumped. Of course, Lville would be headed to the B12. The acc would be 16 plus ND.

Frank the Tank a B1G blogger did something like what you are talking about. However, if ESPN publicly did what you said that is tortuous interference and could have gotten the ACC/ESPN sued so I doubt such a document was ever leaked publicly. Pitt is more valuable than UConn overall. UConn has good sports programs, but their football program which is the most important cog in TV dollars is a nothing nationally. People know Tony Dorsett, Curtis Martin, Larry Fitzgerald. I honestly don't know any UConn stars in the NFL except the idiot QB who ran outside of his own endzone for safety for the Lions and Donald Brown on the Colts. I know they had a lot of draft picks in the last few years, but I don't know the specific players.
Well, there is Dan Orlovsky. :rolleyes:

I often wonder how these games would be if there wasn't a 30 day break in between them.
I think the 4 team playoff will help make the championship game better. Whatever rust developed during the break from the regular season will be worn off in the semi-final. Also, the Super Bowl is almost always better when it's played one week after the league championships and not two. (i.e., Bills vs. Giants.)

I could swear that I read somewhere, way back when, that the list of schools to consider was provided as part of a research project with ESPN. ACC wanted to boost the value of their contract, and needed to add 2 teams to trigger a clause that allowed for re-opening the contract negotiations with ESPN. So they asked ESPN which teams would be best to add, and ESPN initially said SU and UConn. Then BC stirred up anti-UConn machinations, and ESPN's analysis showed that Pitt was the next best choice.

Not that I can recall. And I highly doubt that there would be any significant difference in terms of a media evaluation between SU, Pitt, and UConn to make a difference to the ACC.

From that time though a tweet from David Glenn at the ACC Journal, about a week before the ACC invites came, said that the ACC would ask SU and Texas and that if Texas declined, Pitt would get the invite.

So obviously if they did any evaluations at that time, Texas would have added great value. And if they were talking with Texas and doing an evaluation of them, then you can be assured the ACC asked for an evaluation of ND as both a full and partial member, just as the Big 12 would do shortly after the ACC expanded with SU and Pitt.

The media response to the Big 12's request supposedly was that none of Cincy, BYU, Louisville, etc moved the needle enough to make a difference in their already $20 million per team TV contract. But ND would increase the value.

Cheers,
Neil

chanting the name of your conference is so lame. they should be embarassed

The SEC made it famous. Famously sad.

Did you see the article about McCarron's mom tweeting about if Jameis was speaking English in his post game interview? What struck me most from that article? That she was openly rooting for Auburn. As the crazy mom of a 4 year starting Alabama QB.

I think what bothers me most is how the SEC comes off as so insecure. Because it makes no sense given their position of power. Bunch of weirdos.

Not that I can recall. And I highly doubt that there would be any significant difference in terms of a media evaluation between SU, Pitt, and UConn to make a difference to the ACC.

From that time though a tweet from David Glenn at the ACC Journal, about a week before the ACC invites came, said that the ACC would ask SU and Texas and that if Texas declined, Pitt would get the invite.

So obviously if they did any evaluations at that time, Texas would have added great value. And if they were talking with Texas and doing an evaluation of them, then you can be assured the ACC asked for an evaluation of ND as both a full and partial member, just as the Big 12 would do shortly after the ACC expanded with SU and Pitt.

The media response to the Big 12's request supposedly was that none of Cincy, BYU, Louisville, etc moved the needle enough to make a difference in their already $20 million per team TV contract. But ND would increase the value.

Cheers,
Neil
This is correct. David Glenn went on the radio with a VA station the week UVA was playing UNC and said the ACC was looking at Syracuse and Texas. Obviously, this was when the Big XII was blowing up and while Oklahoma/Oklahoma State publicly thru their BOT submitted applications to the Pac-12 to become the Pac-14, but the Pac-12 schools voted not to extend invitations to the Oklahoma schools without Texas on board. Then FOX/ESPN told the Big XII they would keep their TV contracts at the same rate for 10 teams as 12 teams so the conference remained. UConn fans hold onto that Boston Globe article as if its the Gospel because it suits their talking point but ignores logic. Boston College HAS NO POWER in the ACC if North Carolina/Duke/Florida State wanted UConn over Pitt it would have happened if BC didn't want them, but because UConn wasn't better than Pittsburgh the ACC went SU and Pitt even though UConn fans are convinced because 1 article written by a guy with no ACC contacts outside of Gene DeFlippo says otherwise.

Speaking of losers, and since there is no all-encompassing dumpster thread for UConn, did anyone catch the suggestion by one of the Huskies fans that the ACC should invite UConn in for all sports but football and have a scheduling agreement with the Huskies like they do ND?

Wow, just wow! It was only one poster and no one else chimed in with that's a great idea, but still goes to show how much in denial they are.

I do actually feel somewhat sorry for them considering Rutgers made it before them, but all of the angst on that board seems to be more directed at SU, Pitt, and now UL of course (all proven quantities) but not as much toward Rutgers.

Another poster did post that the ACC would have been better off taking West Virginia, Rutgers, and UConn over Pitt, SU, and Louisville since they were all state flagship institutions as if that somehow matters more than what is actually accomplished on the field and in the arenas. Props to what WVU has accomplished on the field and to UConn what they have accomplished in the arenas (men's and women's), but to actually think Rutgers is more worthy of a P5 membership than Pitt, SU, and Louisville again demonstrates that fanbase still doesn't get it.

Cheers,
Neil

Speaking of losers, and since there is no all-encompassing dumpster thread for UConn, did anyone catch the suggestion by one of the Huskies fans that the ACC should invite UConn in for all sports but football and have a scheduling agreement with the Huskies like they do ND?

Wow, just wow! It was only one poster and no one else chimed in with that's a great idea, but still goes to show how much in denial they are.

I do actually feel somewhat sorry for them considering Rutgers made it before them, but all of the angst on that board seems to be more directed at SU, Pitt, and now UL of course (all proven quantities) but not as much toward Rutgers.

Another poster did post that the ACC would have been better off taking West Virginia, Rutgers, and UConn over Pitt, SU, and Louisville since they were all state flagship institutions as if that somehow matters more than what is actually accomplished on the field and in the arenas. Props to what WVU has accomplished on the field and to UConn what they have accomplished in the arenas (men's and women's), but to actually think Rutgers is more worthy of a P5 membership than Pitt, SU, and Louisville again demonstrates that fanbase still doesn't get it.

Cheers,
Neil
If the ACC was going to something stupid like the UConn fans suggest. They would offer Navy football an agreement for 5 games a year and offer Georgetown membership for basketball/Olympic sports and get back into Washington D.C./Maryland media market. However, the ACC is going to do any stupid like.

As I have said previously I do feel a little bad for UConn until their fans makes you want to wish them even more pain. We suffered in 2003 and set the football program back 7 years to overcome. Those 7 years are where they became mediocre. West Virginia's fanbase/academics would always make them a no-good for elite academic institutions like Virginia, Duke, North Carolina. Rutgers HAS DONE NOTHING, but beat the Norfolk State's of the world and ride their 2006 season like they did what Central Florida did this season. Central Florida in 2013 has accomplished more than Rutgers has in its entire history, but because Delany needed a 14th school to go with Maryland no other ACC schools were interested they got lucky. If UConn wanted to play bigboy football it should have elected to do so a lot earlier than 1998 for me to feel sorry for them now.

Frank the Tank a B1G blogger did something like what you are talking about. However, if ESPN publicly did what you said that is tortuous interference and could have gotten the ACC/ESPN sued so I doubt such a document was ever leaked publicly.
How can it be tortious interference when the two parties are those contracted, and the discussion is voluntary?

Is it tortious interference for an employee to ask his employer what he can do to increase his value to the company, and thus his salary?

How can it be tortious interference when the two parties are those contracted, and the discussion is voluntary?

Is it tortious interference for an employee to ask his employer what he can do to increase his value to the company, and thus his salary?
If they do in private without any documents/emails leaking its not tortuous interference, but if ESPN told the ACC what to do then the Big East could argue that ESPN interfered with their conference to drive down their potential new TV contract and keep FS1 and NBCSN out of a college sports more than they did.