bill connolly season preview | Syracusefan.com

bill connolly season preview

Millhouse

Living Legend
Expect Syracuse to drastically improve, even if this schedule makes it hard to notice

last two paragraphs
The schedule will impact the level of growth in the win column, though. With so many top-40 teams on the docket, Syracuse is projected to win only 5.5 games, with seven games falling between 38 and 60 percent win probability (along with one likely win and four likely losses).

You can maneuver through that, but the most likely scenario is that Babers will need a year to fully weaponize the offense and figure out how to attack on defense. Expect a lot of shootouts, and expect Syracuse to win a few. But it's possible that the Orange's 2016 improvement is of the "from a bad 4-8 to a good 5-7" variety.

Last edited:
Millhouse said:
Expect Syracuse to drastically improve, even if this schedule makes it hard to notice last two paragraphs The schedule will impact the level of growth in the win column, though. With so many top-40 teams on the docket, Syracuse is projected to win only 5.5 games, with seven games falling between 38 and 60 percent win probability (along with one likely win and four likely losses). You can maneuver through that, but the most likely scenario is that Babers will need a year to fully weaponize the offense and figure out how to attack on defense. Expect a lot of shootouts, and expect Syracuse to win a few. But it's possible that the Orange's 2016 improvement is of the "from a bad 4-8 to a good 5-7" variety.

It def echoed the most common refrain around here: it's going to be fun, but it's going to take a little bit.

Everyone should read it - very fair.

they have us winning 5 and 3 others less than a TD type game.. and really its a crap shoot as to whether the D or O or ST plays better. coach was excited about all 3 last night.

That was a great write-up. I really can't argue with his assessment. I hope the secondary is as good as he thinks that it will be.

they have us winning 5 and 3 others less than a TD type game.. and really its a crap shoot as to whether the D or O or ST plays better. coach was excited about all 3 last night.
i think they'll win 6 this year if dungey stays in one piece. it'll be very interesting to see what babers does if dungey doesn't. it might be a good test of this offense, if he can make mahoney a good passer then this offense is really something

it'll be fun though. he has BC favored over us. i'm not buying that.

i think they'll win 6 this year if dungey stays in one piece. it'll be very interesting to see what babers does if dungey doesn't. it might be a good test of this offense, if he can make mahoney a good passer then this offense is really something

it'll be fun though. he has BC favored over us. i'm not buying that.

Or Culpepper. Hopefully, we won't find out.

Millhouse said:
i think they'll win 6 this year if dungey stays in one piece. it'll be very interesting to see what babers does if dungey doesn't. it might be a good test of this offense, if he can make mahoney a good passer then this offense is really something it'll be fun though. he has BC favored over us. i'm not buying that.

Yeah, thought that was weird. Must be big in their transfer QB, new OC and DC.

Also had us favored over big dog NC state ;).

longtimefan said:
Don't know about their new OC, but the new DC will have a hard time equaling what Brown constructed last season.

Their OC was at VaTech being mediocre for a few years. I think that's the ceiling for him at BC (if not a touch lower with lesser talent).

Yeah, thought that was weird. Must be big in their transfer QB, new OC and DC.

Also had us favored over big dog NC state ;).
i think BC's defense is way overrated in the same way that SU's used to be - when the other offense can't score at all, get a lead , play safe and know you'll win

if BC ever moves the ball, their defense will slip

A pretty balanced write up but I'm not sure why he thinks the secondary will be a strength when he acknowledges (and I agree) that we are not going to have much of a pass rush this year.

Orangello said:
A pretty balanced write up but I'm not sure why he thinks the secondary will be a strength when he acknowledges (and I agree) that we are not going to have much of a pass rush this year.

Think he has a pretty healthy respect for Ward's coaching abilities/system (some around here might find that hopeful) and he cited experience.

I'm not so sure. But Cordy is a player.

I think Slayton and Clark will be better inside and maybe good enough to collapse pockets from the inside (which for my money is way more disruptive). End will be the issue.

That was a great write-up. I really can't argue with his assessment. I hope the secondary is as good as he thinks that it will be.

Good write up -- note that we have our 2 QBs back, our top RBs, all our TEs and WRs, our top DBs and LBs, all 3 top DTs back. Not many teams will have all that. We have holes at DE (plus a good PG transfer coming in), and have to plug the OT spots -- it is a manageable task for the new staff.

The secondary may lack talent, but there are plenty of candidates to compete for spots.

Good write up -- note that we have our 2 QBs back, our top RBs, all our TEs and WRs, our top DBs and LBs, all 3 top DTs back. Not many teams will have all that. We have holes at DE (plus a good PG transfer coming in), and have to plug the OT spots -- it is a manageable task for the new staff.

The secondary may lack talent, but there are plenty of candidates to compete for spots.

One thing that Babers did was recruit DBs with good size, which is something we seem to lack for the most part.

he said the secondary will be as good as it is allowed to be, and explicitly acknowledges the question mark with the pass rush.

he said the secondary will be as good as it is allowed to be, and explicitly acknowledges the question mark with the pass rush.

Allowed by whom ?

"The good news is that the secondary should be solid."

one thing mentioned last night at the golf outing was the change in the D. he made it clear we will pressure, just not every play so that the other team has to prepare for it as a change up and not the norm.

Did he have to mention Babers possibly bolting if he acheives success here? Jesus, can we actually find success for once and enjoy it??

Allowed by whom ?

"The good news is that the secondary should be solid."
allowed by the pass rush. No secondary will look good if there is no pass rush. The effectiveness of a secondary works hand in hand with the effectiveness of a pass rush. He's saying he thinks the secondary will hold up its end of the bargain, and the effectiveness of the secondary will be a function of the effectiveness of the pass rush.

one thing mentioned last night at the golf outing was the change in the D. he made it clear we will pressure, just not every play so that the other team has to prepare for it as a change up and not the norm.
Yes -- interesting that he made just that remark about the defense, talked about his background and vision, hopes the Dome is loud, and lots of comments about the speed of his offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom