Bill Hurley, not Billy Scharr | Syracusefan.com

Bill Hurley, not Billy Scharr

SWC75

Bored Historian
Brent Axe just announced that Garrett Shrader is going for the all-time SU rushing record for a quarterback, currently held by Billy Scharr!

Billy Scharr was the Tommy DeVito of 30 years ago, a guy who set passing records high school and was a blue-chip recruit for his throwing arm but who didn't fit in with our freeze-option offense. He had -76 yards rushing in his career!

He meant Bill Hurley:
Garrett needs 144 yards to pass Bill and 331 in three games to give us two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time ever.

Billy Scharr as our all-time QB rusher. :confused::(:mad::p

That one woke me up after my after noon nap.

Incredible accomplishment for GS if he can get there. Hurley was incredible. Great company to be in.

Looking at Garrett's record at Mississippi State, I don't think he'll ever be a + passer but he's proven he can be a bit better than he's bene so far here. As he continues to shake off the rust and get in coordination with his you receivers, our passing attack could re-emerge, at least enough to give us the balance we need.

'89 (frosh year of HS) was the first year I followed 'Cuse football from start to finish (I know...2 years late to the party - but that was my first year at their summer football camp for high schoolers).

I still have vague recollections of the Scharr/McDonald back-and-forth. Wasn't that the year we had two ties? Michigan St. and Pitt? Odd as hell.

'89 (frosh year of HS) was the first year I followed 'Cuse football from start to finish (I know...2 years late to the party - but that was my first year at their summer football camp for high schoolers).

I still have vague recollections of the Scharr/McDonald back-and-forth. Wasn't that the year we had two ties? Michigan St. and Pitt? Odd as hell.

1990. Pitt retuned a blocked extra point for the tie. Mac said he'd never heard of the new rule. The Spartans kicked the tying field goal after a penalty against us, as I recall.

Hurley playing (as a running QB plus doing KR duty) with a broken rib sounded pretty tough, back before I ever broke one. Once I had the experience, I realized it was super-human. I think he and Dungey were cut from the same cloth.

Brent Axe just announced that Garrett Shrader is going for the all-time SU rushing record for a quarterback, currently held by Billy Scharr!

Billy Scharr was the Tommy DeVito of 30 years ago, a guy who set passing records high school and was a blue-chip recruit for his throwing arm but who didn't fit in with our freeze-option offense. He had -76 yards rushing in his career!

He meant Bill Hurley:
Garrett needs 144 yards to pass Bill and 331 in three games to give us two 1,000 yard rushers for the first time ever.

Billy Scharr as our all-time QB rusher. :confused::(:mad::p

That one woke me up after my after noon nap.
I'm surprised Axe knew of either one of them. But sounds like someone might have fed him the wrong info.

Hurley playing (as a running QB plus doing KR duty) with a broken rib sounded pretty tough, back before I ever broke one. Once I had the experience, I realized it was super-human. I think he and Dungey were cut from the same cloth.
Hurley was before my time. We had our QB returning kicks then?

Hurley was before my time. We had our QB returning kicks then?

No. But Hurley began as a halfback and was sent back to return a kickoff in his freshman year and forgot to cover a live ball that was recovered for a TD by Villanova. Frank Maloney said that if he had had a gun, he would have shot Hurley so that he would have fallen on the ball.

That's not a nice thing to say but it was a different era...

Scharr followed Todd Philcox if I recall. I hung out with Todd in the Bahamas during Spring Break in ‘89. He was with some big dude that I assume was also a football player, but I was too embarrassed to ask.

I remember Mac getting Bill Scharr was as heralded (for that time anyway) as Tommy coming to Syracuse. Amazing how similar the SYR careers are of Scharr and Devito

No. But Hurley began as a halfback and was sent back to return a kickoff in his freshman year and forgot to cover a live ball that was recovered for a TD by Villanova. Frank Maloney said that if he had had a gun, he would have shot Hurley so that he would have fallen on the ball.

I remember him returning kicks when he was the starting QB (and I remember the booing when he was sent out there). He was our best and some might say, our only athlete at the time. Maloney was desperate.

Honestly, I don't remember (and kinda doubt) that he did it with broken ribs.

That's a funny comment. Anybody that can't recognize the sarcasm there is a moron.

The two ties came in 1990. One year after McDonald exhausted his eligibility. I think Scharr also stopped playing before his eligibility ran out, which may have set four years of Marvin Graves as a starter into motion. Which was great.

I remember Mac getting Bill Scharr was as heralded (for that time anyway) as Tommy coming to Syracuse. Amazing how similar the SYR careers are of Scharr and Devito
You are right. Scharr was a big time recruit and big get for Mac. He was gonna to go to Miami but got persuaded to stay home and play for SU. I saw Billy last night. He was watching his Canandaigua Braves win the state qualifier game. He has a son coming up.

The two ties came in 1990. One year after McDonald exhausted his eligibility. I think Scharr also stopped playing before his eligibility ran out, which may have set four years of Marvin Graves as a starter into motion. Which was great.
Didn’t McDonald back Graves up in ‘90? I could be conflating the years (again), but I could have sworn Graves missed some time in the middle of his freshman year and McDonald spelled him.

Also…it was ‘89 (not ‘90) that Wendell Lowery had a ridiculous game against Louisville in Japan, correct? Lowery xferred after that season IIRC.

Didn’t McDonald back Graves up in ‘90? I could be conflating the years (again), but I could have sworn Graves missed some time in the middle of his freshman year and McDonald spelled him.

Also…it was ‘89 (not ‘90) that Wendell Lowery had a ridiculous game against Louisville in Japan, correct? Lowery xferred after that season IIRC.
The more I think about it, the more I think you’re correct about McDonald. I just looked it up. He played until 1991.

But the ties came in 1990 and everyone was surprised when Scharr stepped away and Graves beat out McDonald.

I remember him returning kicks when he was the starting QB (and I remember the booing when he was sent out there). He was our best and some might say, our only athlete at the time. Maloney was desperate.

The broken ribs were the result of a 'take-out' against Florida State to open the 1978 season. There were "Hurley for Heisman" signs around Archbold and he led us to 3-4 straight first downs when two guys tackled him and held him up while a third guy speared him. He was out for the season and we went 3-8.

I believe McDonald was the back up to Graves that year. I remember the season preview in the post standard with McDonald and Graves standing back to back teasing the competition for who would be named starter.

Edit: Oswego93 beat me to it.

Well, Art Monk was a pretty good athlete.

And so was Joe Morris. As well as Jimmy Collins, Craig Wolfley and a few others. Not enough others.
I always associate Hurley and Monk because they had the misfortune of finishing their college careers before the Dome opened. Lil Joe, of course, made his mark in the Dome (including putting a dent in the wall).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom