Bill Raftery's | Syracusefan.com

Bill Raftery's

Fjoinkay

Starter
call yesterday was professional, fair, and respectful. Had another personality been calling the second half yesterday along with Brando the tone, color and the content of the call could very well have been lacking any of those qualities.

If my math is correct Otto Porter scored 57% of Georgetown's points yesterday, and his 33 points is 71% of SU's point total.

Without almost any consistent scoring from the post against the zone I'd like to see more penetration from MCW. I realize SU lost against Temple when MCW penetrated frequently, but he was able to penetrate at will. If he had converted at the foul line and if Temple hadn't killed it from the foul line the outcome would have been different.

Watching SU dribble away the shot clock until 10 seconds are remaining before starting a play is frustrating especially down 6 at home with approximately 5 minutes left in the game. Mixing it up with more penetration and attacking the zone more along with the press is what I was hoping to see especially when the shooting was freezing cold.

Hoping Cooney learns to cope better with the mental/emotional side of his game. Let's hope he has a major breakthrough in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I believe it's only a matter of time, and obviously sooner would be much better than later.

Georgetown is a good team, and they played better yesterday mostly due to Porter. Has Georgetown peaked? SU is a good team, and SU has a chance to continue to improve and to get hot as Coleman and Southerland re-integrate, to get on a roll, and to make a run.

Watching SU dribble away the shot clock until 10 seconds are remaining before starting a play is frustrating especially down 6 at home with approximately 5 minutes left in the game.

That was ridiculous and it's when I knew there would be no comeback. We had no clue. Just playing catch for 20-25 seconds. The passes weren't crisp, nobody was even looking at the basket or looking to penetrate the zone when it shifted. Just pointless passes, while the clock ticked away. Embarrassingly bad.

Southerland, in particular, was standing 30 feet from the basket. He was standing straight up, facing sideways, not even giving the appearance of being a threat to do anything, just catching and passing back. Awful.

Agree - pounding the ball outside for 25 seconds made me nuts. For a reportedly great shooter, I think Cooney needs square himself and only take a shot if he's in rhythm. I don't mind him driving, particularly if it's late in the shot clock.

call yesterday was professional, fair, and respectful. Had another personality been calling the second half yesterday along with Brando the tone, color and the content of the call could very well have been lacking any of those qualities.

If my math is correct Otto Porter scored 57% of Georgetown's points yesterday, and his 33 points is 71% of SU's point total.

Without almost any consistent scoring from the post against the zone I'd like to see more penetration from MCW. I realize SU lost against Temple when MCW penetrated frequently, but he was able to penetrate at will. If he had converted at the foul line and if Temple hadn't killed it from the foul line the outcome would have been different.

Watching SU dribble away the shot clock until 10 seconds are remaining before starting a play is frustrating especially down 6 at home with approximately 5 minutes left in the game. Mixing it up with more penetration and attacking the zone more along with the press is what I was hoping to see especially when the shooting was freezing cold.

Hoping Cooney learns to cope better with the mental/emotional side of his game. Let's hope he has a major breakthrough in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I believe it's only a matter of time, and obviously sooner would be much better than later.

Georgetown is a good team, and they played better yesterday mostly due to Porter. Has Georgetown peaked? SU is a good team, and SU has a chance to continue to improve and to get hot as Coleman and Southerland re-integrate, to get on a roll, and to make a run.

That's a hard game to call for a color guy. The intent of GT's offense was blatant and boring, but it worked. Not much you can say as they made the same 3 passes for 28 seconds.

I had dinner with Time Brando last night. Tim said it is a pure pleasure to work a game with Bill. Called him professional, knowledgable and "an all-around good guy." It's always nice to hear that someone is the same person off-camera as he appears to be on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom