Bill Tierney retiring from Denver after 2023 season | Syracusefan.com

Bill Tierney retiring from Denver after 2023 season

Guess it's no surprise but Matt Brown will most likely be the next head coach.

Guess it's no surprise but Matt Brown will most likely be the next head coach.

in all likelihood yes but it's interesting that a) Denver has a brand new AD with no ties to Tierney and b) there was nothing in their announcement about Matt Brown. i would not be shocked if they at least explore their options before they commit to promoting Brown

in all likelihood yes but it's interesting that a) Denver has a brand new AD with no ties to Tierney and b) there was nothing in their announcement about Matt Brown. i would not be shocked if they at least explore their options before they commit to promoting Brown
If they pass over Brown for HC, then he's gone. No way he stays on as OC. He has been the heir apparent for at least 5 years.

This was coming inevitably, but what a run coach has had. I coached one of their 2023s in youth (3rd-7th) who is committed there. Will be interesting indeed to see what happens with the vacancy. I didn't realize they had a relatively new AD.

If they pass over Brown for HC, then he's gone. No way he stays on as OC. He has been the heir apparent for at least 5 years.
Denver has a lot going for them and Tierney deserves a lot of the credit. Brown deserves a chance to interview. I am for at least opening the search up to see who is interested. I am hopeful Gait will do well here at SU but it kind of bothered me that Wildhack didnt seem to conduct any kind of search.

Denver has a lot going for them and Tierney deserves a lot of the credit. Brown deserves a chance to interview. I am for at least opening the search up to see who is interested. I am hopeful Gait will do well here at SU but it kind of bothered me that Wildhack didnt seem to conduct any kind of search.
To be fair, we have no idea what kind of search ADJW conducted. Sometimes, things are not what they "seem".

To be fair, we have no idea what kind of search ADJW conducted. Sometimes, things are not what they "seem".
Fair enough. It felt like his search consisted of a walk down to Gary's office and asking him if he wanted to coach the men's team.

Fair enough. It felt like his search consisted of a walk down to Gary's office and asking him if he wanted to coach the men's team.
What would have been wrong with that?

What would have been wrong with that?
I suppose nothing as the AD he can do whatever he thinks is best. I disagreed with the way it was handled.

How about interviewing some candidates with men’s college head coaching experience or at least seeing who else might be interested? The traditionally best lacrosse program of all time and the head coach position is not open for other candidates or posted? There could have been an active search behind the scenes and we do not know as orange79 stated.

It just felt lazy. OK here is the best lacrosse player ever down the hall from the AD’s office who has done a good job coaching women. Let’s give him the job. It seemed like public relations move…Hire what many consider the best offensive player of all time and he brings in the best defensive player of all time (from a hated rival who was fired for running a legendary program to the ground) and then hire the best face off guy to coach part time. In my opinion that plan is the move of a fan not a seasoned administrator looking for a program builder.

As I recall, the Gait decision was also leaked before Desko/SU announced the retirement. Poor form for Desko who won a lot of games and gave much of his life to the program. Sure he made some big mistakes with Scanlon and lost a lot of games in the past few years and the program had slipped. In my opinion he deserved a better send off. Maybe I am off base but it felt weird the way it went down.

I don’t think Wildhack has handled the personnel part of his job in the best manner (Boeheim, Coach Q). I hope Gait does well and the recruiting class will change the trajectory. The early results on the field are not off to the best start.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom