Billy Donovan, JB, OKC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Billy Donovan, JB, OKC

The current university and athletic dept leadership know that basketball is the golden cow (one of the most profitable programs in all of CBB) and will pay a top coach accordingly to keep the revenue rolling in. They learned from the mistakes made in allowing the football program (under diff leadership) to decline the way it did. Plus, new ACC TV revenue has changed the game.
Yup they found out the hard way that it’s much cheaper to maintain a good/great program than it is build one.

Isn’t Hopkins coming back in 4-5 years when Boeheim retires? This will be a Roy Williams situation where the school will make Mike their first selection, hard press him to come back and he will. Syracuse is a top 8-10 job.

I’ll be thoroughly shocked if he isn’t back.

Isn’t Hopkins coming back in 4-5 years when Boeheim retires? This will be a Roy Williams situation where the school will make Mike their first selection, hard press him to come back and he will. Syracuse is a top 8-10 job.

Again I have heard the same thing from someone that knows him well but u never know. Crap changes all the time but he would be perfect for us.

If this is a Roy Williams situation does it include the part where he spurns them, they hire Doherty, and they go 8-20? I’d like to skip that part if so.

You might want to install a lightning Rod.

I appreciate the work on putting this list together. However, it only tells part of the story on TOTAL compensation for these coaches. Unlike the players, they are allowed to accept endorsement deals. JB does pretty well outside of just his base salary from the university. The huge money for coaches is a fairly recent phenomenon. The current legends like Krzyzewski, Boeheim and Williams didn't become coaches to get rich...I think most of them genuinely love the game. The seasoned coaches have a lot of perspective on how fortunate they are with current compensation levels. JB could easily play hardball with the university for more salary, but he isn't that type of person. He is treated like a god by the university to which he has devoted his life's work. The next generation of coaches has increased salary expectations (as they should) because of all the TV money. I have no doubt that Wildhack understands this better than anyone on this board. When JB decides to ride off into the sunset, Wildhack will make the right decision with an appropriate compensation level for his replacement.

We're talking about Syracuse's ability and willingness to pay a marquee coach an undiscounted marquee salary. You are right, we're not even like St. John's. St. John's has paid some guys big money over the years; Mullin, Lavin and Jarvis.

SU has never demonstrated a desire or ability to invest "crazy" money in its coaching staff. Donovan isn't coming to Syracuse for a discounted salary and coming from the NBA he is a marquee name.

1. Calipari, UK $9.7 million
2. Krzyzewski, Duke $7.04 million
3. Izzo, MSU $4.3 million
4. Bennett, UVA $4.15 million
5. Self, KU $4.9 million
6. Mack, UL $4.007 million
7. Williams, UNC $3.9 million
8. Wright, VU $3.878 million
9. Huggins, WVU $3.76 million
10. Beilein, UM $3.8 million
11. Krystkowiak, Utah $3.572 million
12. Marshall, WSU $3.57 million
13. Miller, IU $3.25 million
14. Barnes, UT $3.25 million
15. Smart, TX $3.2 million
16. Crean, GA $3.2 million

32. Boeheim, SU $2.695 million

USA TODAY Sports

Did you not read the CBS story at this link? Hop will turn Syracuse back into a consistent powerhouse (and recruiting juggernaut) when he returns—and return he will.
Ten former players who could join Penny Hardaway, Patrick Ewing and Juwan Howard by coaching their alma maters

Carmelo’s son is getting older. Perhaps in a few years Melo gets involved in coaching him on the AAU circuit and then after that he moves up the ranks and gets the SU job, following the trend of big name players who made a ton of money playing basketball (Penny, Juwan, Ewing) going back and coaching at their school.

Carmelo’s son is getting older. Perhaps in a few years Melo gets involved in coaching him on the AAU circuit and then after that he moves up the ranks and gets the SU job, following the trend of big name players who made a ton of money playing basketball (Penny, Juwan, Ewing) going back and coaching at their school.

You'd be ok hiring a guy who only coached AAU ball? This isnt Memphis.

You'd be ok hiring a guy who only coached AAU ball? This isnt Memphis.

Fair point.

If he could reel in the best class in the country like Penny though??

Maybe.

I’ve already kinda accepted that our next coach isn’t going to know how to pull out the W’s like Boeheim.

Fair point.

If he could reel in the best class in the country like Penny though??

Maybe.

I’ve already kinda accepted that our next coach isn’t going to know how to pull out the W’s like Boeheim.
I am a believer of giving a guy from the program/ family the first shot.

I am a believer of giving a guy from the program/ family the first shot.

Im ok with that, but we have plenty of guys who have coaching experience who could fit the bill.

Coaches need degrees for college and most high school positions. Not an easy road for ex-players who have left college so early like Melo. Penny had 3 years at Memphis (he had to sit out his first year -prop 48 but took classes) and got his degree after 10 years in the NBA in 2003 , juwan left a year early but completed his degree during his 1st year in the NBA graduating with his college class from Michigan, Ewing was a 4 year player who graduated from G-town.

It would be interesting if any one and done players has ever gone back and earned his degree. I googled and couldn’t find anything on it.

Nail meet head. This encapsulates my opinion on the matter. Donovan would def see Cuse as an attractive college coaching job offer, if we’re willing to pay him. No doubt. He grew up in NYC. And we’re a national brand program in the best b-ball conference with a rich history, a rabid national fan following, and one of the most profitable and highest spending college b-ball programs with the biggest arena (which is about to get a major upgrade). However, if he did want to return to college, we’d be behind Duke, UK, UNC and KU in the pecking order—and as you said, they might all be looking for new coaches around the same time. After that, though, all bets are off. Louisville would also beat us out, but they have Chris Mack locked up long term. I think we’d even beat out Indiana and UCLA because of their baggage and BD’s roots in the Northeast.
I don’t think that UL beats is out.

IU would be an afterthought. UCLA would give a run, but the SU job > UCLA job.

Last edited:
We're talking about Syracuse's ability and willingness to pay a marquee coach an undiscounted marquee salary. You are right, we're not even like St. John's. St. John's has paid some guys big money over the years; Mullin, Lavin and Jarvis.

SU has never demonstrated a desire or ability to invest "crazy" money in its coaching staff. Donovan isn't coming to Syracuse for a discounted salary and coming from the NBA he is a marquee name.

1. Calipari, UK $9.7 million
2. Krzyzewski, Duke $7.04 million
3. Izzo, MSU $4.3 million
4. Bennett, UVA $4.15 million
5. Self, KU $4.9 million
6. Mack, UL $4.007 million
7. Williams, UNC $3.9 million
8. Wright, VU $3.878 million
9. Huggins, WVU $3.76 million
10. Beilein, UM $3.8 million
11. Krystkowiak, Utah $3.572 million
12. Marshall, WSU $3.57 million
13. Miller, IU $3.25 million
14. Barnes, UT $3.25 million
15. Smart, TX $3.2 million
16. Crean, GA $3.2 million

32. Boeheim, SU $2.695 million

USA TODAY Sports
Jimmy is an alum, and he’s in no danger of leaving (unless he retires, and no realistic amount of money will change that decision). He’s also a HOF coach - probably about 2x over. We don’t want to swap him with someone else.

Based on the above, your salary comparison is meaningless. Why would we pay Jimmy more for the sake of paying him more?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom