Bishop Kearney | Syracusefan.com

Bishop Kearney

orangejunkie

Starter
There was a recent thread about the players attending Bishop Kearney in Rochester. I spoke to a coach at a rival private/parochial school. Other school had an opportunity to get Obokoh. A parent has to come forward and be willing to take in the student and also pay the tuition (10K) The one private/parochial school declined; BK found a parent that was able to pony up the $$. Now we are hearing another player that may be coming in next year. BK clearly wants to become more of a national program. May help SU down the road but I will repeat what I said earlier, not a level playing field for the schools that have to play them in our sectional and state tournament. Thomas Bryant is a local product but no doubt on "scholarship". Kids are using basketball to improve their educational and athletic opportunities, can't blame them.

May help SU down the road but I will repeat what I said earlier, not a level playing field for the schools that have to play them in our sectional and state tournament. Thomas Bryant is a local product but no doubt on "scholarship". Kids are using basketball to improve their educational and athletic opportunities, can't blame them.

Actually, let's just say the kid is going for free... not paying any tuition. That makes it a level playing field v. the public school he could go to. Public schools, for the most part have a captive audience. They don't charge tuition, they offer all kids that go there free busing and they have better facilities than most private schools...and 99% of the families in private schools need to pony up for tuition. Paying an extra 5-10K is not really an incentive to go to private schools.

Actually, let's just say the kid is going for free... not paying any tuition. That makes it a level playing field v. the public school he could go to. Public schools, for the most part have a captive audience. They don't charge tuition, they offer all kids that go there free busing and they have better facilities than most private schools...and 99% of the families in private schools need to pony up for tuition. Paying an extra 5-10K is not really an incentive to go to private schools.
It depends on where you are. In CNY the public schools typically have better facilites. Where I live the private schools are better in every way. I don't know anything about Bishop Kearney, but if they're able to consistently attract thses kids they may be able to raise their profile, raise tuition accordingly, improve facilities, attract more high profile kids, etc etc. That could surely make it an unfair playing field. Having said that, I don't know that I care much about the field being level. If they become a national program and routinely play against the Oak Hills, they may not care much about sectional and state tournaments anyway.

It depends on where you are. In CNY the public schools typically have better facilites. Where I live the private schools are better in every way. I don't know anything about Bishop Kearney, but if they're able to consistently attract thses kids they may be able to raise their profile, raise tuition accordingly, improve facilities, attract more high profile kids, etc etc. That could surely make it an unfair playing field. Having said that, I don't know that I care much about the field being level. If they become a national program and routinely play against the Oak Hills, they may not care much about sectional and state tournaments anyway.
True. I was speaking from a CNY perspective. I went to a Catholic School that still exists. Our facilities were laughable compared to the district it resided in...and that one was basically average from a public school perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom