Bittersweet feeling for hoya game. | Syracusefan.com

Bittersweet feeling for hoya game.

Will President Obama be at the game tomorrow?

• yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • no

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

gilardino

Starter
The end of an era. This is it. Done. The team we grew up hating, all those arguments with hoya fans who lived in the area in the 80's. Those epic battles on the court. It comes to a close tomorrow. The move to the ACC was a no brainer, had to be done. With all that siad, it stinks that it is over, however we must move on. Lets hope for one last victory in DC. LGO!

The end of an era. This is it. Done. The team we grew up hating, all those arguments with hoya fans who lived in the area in the 80's. Those epic battles on the court. It comes to a close tomorrow. The move to the ACC was a no brainer, had to be done. With all that siad, it stinks that it is over, however we must move on. Lets hope for one last victory in DC. LGO!
I won't miss the bastards. We have bigger fish to fry.

And playing football against Colgate used to be a big deal too ... or so I am told.

Screw Georgetown and that parade of thugs they had playing for them

Two years from now, after some ACC combat, we'll barely remember playing them.

Onward and upward.

And playing football against Colgate used to be a big deal too ... or so I am told.

Screw Georgetown and that parade of thugs they had playing for them

Two years from now, after some ACC combat, we'll barely remember playing them.

Onward and upward.
We'll remember-they're not Colgate. Hope we play once a year.

We'll remember-they're not Colgate. Hope we play once a year.

I don't think it will happen.

Maybe a few times in the first few years.

There's little to gain and coaches plan their season for their own conference games.

Re: your poll. It never occurred to me that he would come! The only time Obama came to a Georgetown game it was against Duke, and the Hoyas won. So, a few weeks later, I wrote him a letter and begged him not to come to the SU game. He did NOT, and we won. Ha! The problem is, the more I think of it, the more certain it seems that political big wigs will be at that game. Of both parties. Who will bring bad/good luck to whom? It all depends upon your point of view!

This is mind blowing. I hope no one comes. Stay home, big wigs, and give this game to the Little People, the Man (and Woman) on the Street, the Joe Blows, the Yankee Doodles, the Salt of the Earth, the Saltine Warriors, the dogs, the fruits! Let the final chapter be writ, and then let it be over.

Whatever happens, it is definitely bittersweet.

There's little to gain and coaches plan their season for their own conference games.

How is there little to gain? The players care about this game. The fans really care. You get huge crowds wherever it's played. The DC/Baltimore corridor has been a big recruiting area for us. Premier non-conference games get ratings and discussion, as well as can have an impact on seeding in March. How can there be little to gain having a game against our most hated rival from the last 30+ years?

How is there little to gain? The players care about this game. The fans really care. You get huge crowds wherever it's played. The DC/Baltimore corridor has been a big recruiting area for us. Premier non-conference games get ratings and discussion, as well as can have an impact on seeding in March. How can there be little to gain having a game against our most hated rival from the last 30+ years?

But none of that matters. What matters is the team building through the season to peak at tournament time. That's what coaches schedule for.

You don't think the array of patsies we play in December is to satisfy the fans? We played one quality opponent this year OOC and that was because the Big East - SEC arrangement required it.

But none of that matters. What matters is the team building through the season to peak at tournament time. That's what coaches schedule for.
So then why do teams play big OOC games? Those aren't better prep for the big games come tourney times? Beating up on nobodies does a lot less for a team than playing more difficult games, but I digress.

You don't think the array of patsies we play in December is to satisfy the fans?

Not in the least bit. And that is pretty obvious in the number of fans that show for those games. How can scheduling Alcorn State and Central Connecticut State satisfy the fans more than a Georgetown or Villanova game in December would? That doesn't even make sense.

You don't think the array of patsies we play in December is to satisfy the fans? We played one quality opponent this year OOC and that was because the Big East - SEC arrangement required it.

Temple was a quality OOC opponent too. But that's besides the point. It's games like SU-GTown that define a program and make kids want to play here. I for one hope we play every year. And if you asked anyone involved with the Program, they say so too.

Re: your poll. It never occurred to me that he would come! The only time Obama came to a Georgetown game it was against Duke, and the Hoyas won. So, a few weeks later, I wrote him a letter and begged him not to come to the SU game. He did NOT, and we won. Ha! The problem is, the more I think of it, the more certain it seems that political big wigs will be at that game. Of both parties. Who will bring bad/good luck to whom? It all depends upon your point of view!

This is mind blowing. I hope no one comes. Stay home, big wigs, and give this game to the Little People, the Man (and Woman) on the Street, the Joe Blows, the Yankee Doodles, the Salt of the Earth, the Saltine Warriors, the dogs, the fruits! Let the final chapter be writ, and then let it be over.

Whatever happens, it is definitely bittersweet.

Heard last night the Biden is attending.

BballBeadle, are you a professional writer? Your posts always have a beautiful, poetic nature to them.

Temple was a quality OOC opponent too. But that's besides the point. It's games like SU-GTown that define a program and make kids want to play here. I for one hope we play every year. And if you asked anyone involved with the Program, they say so too.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

But which way would you bet?

A. Lots of games?
B. No Games?
C. A few games in the first few years and then no games.

My money would be on "C" big time.

Let's try and separate what you'd like from what's probably going to happen.

The Macker has already been to one of my games this year.

My Gtown spox say Obama is in, guess it's a little chilly for golf today.

Speaking of which, leaving now. Townie, was looking forward to toasting one with ya...close the circle after downing a few with our old pal Zak.

BballBeadle, are you a professional writer? Your posts always have a beautiful, poetic nature to them.
Lawrinson, I have written a book but it needs to be revised and I doubt it will ever get published. I love to write and I love humor. I've been writing for family, friends and colleagues my whole life. Sometimes I get too goofy. Thank you very much for your compliment!

In real life, I am a therapist. :)

The Macker has already been to one of my games this year.

My Gtown spox say Obama is in, guess it's a little chilly for golf today.

Speaking of which, leaving now. Townie, was looking forward to toasting one with ya...close the circle after downing a few with our old pal Zak.

One of these times.

I have a son who is in Germany. I am going to broadcast the game to him via a laptop and Skype. So I need to set that up and monitor it.

You actually met Zak?

I know McAullife is a Syracuse Townie. I know a guy who was a classmate at the Catholic high school he attended there (Bishop Ludden?)

Aren't there any more pressing matters that BO ought to be attending to versus attending a college basketball game?

So then why do teams play big OOC games? Those aren't better prep for the big games come tourney times? Beating up on nobodies does a lot less for a team than playing more difficult games, but I digress.

Not in the least bit. And that is pretty obvious in the number of fans that show for those games. How can scheduling Alcorn State and Central Connecticut State satisfy the fans more than a Georgetown or Villanova game in December would? That doesn't even make sense.

I think it makes a lot of sense to schedule them and I'd love to do it like UConn used to with good-quality OOC games scheduled right in the middle of the season instead of in the beginning of the year when both teams are still trying to figure out how to play together.

I think it makes a lot of sense to schedule them and I'd love to do it like UConn used to with good-quality OOC games scheduled right in the middle of the season instead of in the beginning of the year when both teams are still trying to figure out how to play together.
We used to do that too...Kentucky, UCLA, Louisville off the top of my head...

Imagine Georgetown/Syracuse in mid February, 4pm Saturday afternoon on CBS for all the nation to see.

One of these times.

I have a son who is in Germany. I am going to broadcast the game to him via a laptop and Skype. So I need to set that up and monitor it.

You actually met Zak?

I know McAullife is a Syracuse Townie. I know a guy who was a classmate at the Catholic high school he attended there (Bishop Ludden?)

Aren't there any more pressing matters that BO ought to be attending to versus attending a college basketball game?

Zak, Bill Orange and I drained beers in Murphy's in Old Town. Alexandria. Zak and I repeated it some time later. As good I guy I've met. And I've met a lot.

Terry is a Ludden guy...now St Lukes in McLean...I am St Marys in Old Town Alexandria...not a bad guy for a Democrat :)