BJ&JB | Syracusefan.com

BJ&JB

PoppyHart

All American
I'll premise this by saying that I don't know if he was asked (read: strongly advised) to redshirt. I'd also add that I don't see him having a major role on the team next year (read: not in the standard 7 man rotation)

My question is:
Do you think that, had he "volunteered" for the redshirt this year, he would see more time next year than he otherwise might as a sophomore?

In other words, would JB somehow reward him for the sacrifice by playing him a tad more in his redshirt fresh season as opposed to the sophomore season?

People here love to say that JB only cares about winning and he's gonna play the best players available, future be damned. But with guys like Fab, Rak and Coleman early on, that's clearly not always the case.

I'll premise this by saying that I don't know if he was asked (read: strongly advised) to redshirt. I'd also add that I don't see him having a major role on the team next year (read: not in the standard 7 man rotation)

My question is:
Do you think that, had he "volunteered" for the redshirt this year, he would see more time next year than he otherwise might as a sophomore?

In other words, would JB somehow reward him for the sacrifice by playing him a tad more in his redshirt fresh season as opposed to the sophomore season?

People here love to say that JB only cares about winning and he's gonna play the best players available, future be damned. But with guys like Fab, Rak and Coleman early on, that's clearly not always the case.

I think you may be surprised at his playing time next season. I think next season we are likely to have a longer rotation, especially if Grant leaves. With CJ definitely gone, BJ may be the only guy on the roster that can give us 3 point range from the forward position. If he hits from 3 I would think that would be a skill that might buy him 10-15 minutes per game.

To the original question I would say no. That doesn't seem like how JB operates at all.

No,JB doesn`t reward he plays people who understand his defensive philosophy. Johnson redshirting is his call JB could careless if he does it or not. If Johnson is ready he plays that is it.

My question is:

Great question, Poppy. I want to qualify these remarks by pointing out that BJ might have been my favorite prospect in last year's recruiting class. And I'm high on the kid's long term potential.

But I think it was unlikely that he was going to work his way into the rotation this year. His best chance would have been for Cooney to fail, and thus for JB to look to the bench for alternatives. Cooney has obviously excelled, so that didn't happen.

BJ is just to physically underdeveloped right now to contribute at this level. Love the kid's athleticism and versatility. Once his physical tools catch up with his athleticism / skill level, he'll be a very good player. That's why he would have benefited from a redshirt--not because he was a project or lacked skill, but because it would have given him an extra year of physical maturity without having to burn any eligibility. He's already young for his class, with a December birthday.

Even so, I'm not sure that he would be in a better position to crack the rotation next year. The difference is that it would be his frosh year instead of his second year of eligibility.

I'm concerned that BJ and his family might get impatient. There is no doubt in my mind that BJ could be a 4 year program guy who is a leading scorer caliber player later in his career. No doubt whatsoever. I just don't know if he'll be willing to wait until junior year for his shot to play. Hope he sees the big picture and doesn't let impatience get in the way of the bright future he has here.

He definately punishes... Mookie Jones, case in point.

It is no coincidence that Waiters and Triche had almost identical minutes. You can't tell me that exactly 50% of the time, the best person for the job was Triche. There were times when Triche had a more advantageous matchup, and there were times when Waiters had a more advantageous matchup, but it wasn't exactly 50% of the time. Waiters was the better gaurd, and I doubt anyone could argue that. Yet, Trich still got 50% of the playing time. Is that a reward, seniority, better defensive play, who knows?

Does anyone know if he's practicing as a 2 or a 3? Or both?

I'd imagine that his best chance to play next year is at the 3 in a Roberson-type role. Of course, this is contingent on Grant leaving for the NBA. Having a log-jam of talent is nice for the team, but it must suck for BJ. Two years without seeing any game action can be hard to take. I hope he gets his shot - from the glimpses I've seen, he's aggressive and talented enough to make the most of it.

I think you may be surprised at his playing time next season. I think next season we are likely to have a longer rotation, especially if Grant leaves. With CJ definitely gone, BJ may be the only guy on the roster that can give us 3 point range from the forward position. If he hits from 3 I would think that would be a skill that might buy him 10-15 minutes per game.

I agree. I think Johnson next year ends up in the role Roberson has this year and Grant did last year, except that the guys ahead of him aren't going to hoover up quite as huge a percentage of the available minutes as Grant and Fair are this year. Without Keita, Coleman and Christmas are going to play almost exclusively at the 5. That leaves a lot of forward minutes, and just given their relative lack of experience, I see Roberson and McCullough as more like 28-30 minute guys than 38 minute men. Maybe Gbinje ends up taking some of these backup forward minutes (especially if Ennis comes back) but I think Johnson probably has the inside track.

(All of this void if Grant returns.)

With Grant gone

Rak- 30-35 mpg. As long as he's not in foul trouble
McCullough 25-30 mpg. JB will play the stud frosh as long as he is not a liability and hustles on D
Roberson 25-30 mpg. Has the length and size that we need for the other wing spot.
Cooney 35-4o mpg. Will only come out for quick breathers.
Ennis 35-40 mpg. Only way he plays less, is if KJ goes off while in the game.
Gbinije 10-15 mpg. Will split his time spelling Cooney, Ennis and on the wing at times.
Coleman 5-10 mpg. He is the unknown. His minutes could go way up if he ever aquires a "beast mode". But JB has more trust in Rak at the 5 and I can't see DC2 playing on the wing.
Joseph 5 mpg. Will give Ennis a breather and maybe some time at the 2.
Johnson 1-5 mpg. Most likely won't get any run unless Cooney is having a very bad night.
Obokoh 1-3 mpg. Won't see much time unless our other bigs are in foul trouble.
Patterson 1-3 mpg. Has to somehow steal minutes from Cooney and beat out BJ in practice each week.

BJ does seem to be a candidate to transfer. let us hope he sticks around...

The fact that Johnson is a 6'7" left-handed shooter, like C.J. a rarity in college hoop, gives him a leg up on gaining playing time if he produces in the game opportunities he gets and in practice. And, he's young and likely to grow some more, vertically and horizontally. There's not too many good shooters on next year's team, let alone lefties. Add in his athleticism and he's likely to push for a lot more playing time sooner rather than later. If he hits a few shots, plays defense and gets some boards early on next year, he'll play. He's a JB prototype forward in many ways.

BludOrange said:
With Grant gone Rak- 30-35 mpg. As long as he's not in foul trouble McCullough 25-30 mpg. JB will play the stud frosh as long as he is not a liability and hustles on D Roberson 25-30 mpg. Has the length and size that we need for the other wing spot. Cooney 35-4o mpg. Will only come out for quick breathers. Ennis 35-40 mpg. Only way he plays less, is if KJ goes off while in the game. Gbinije 10-15 mpg. Will split his time spelling Cooney, Ennis and on the wing at times. Coleman 5-10 mpg. He is the unknown. His minutes could go way up if he ever aquires a "beast mode". But JB has more trust in Rak at the 5 and I can't see DC2 playing on the wing. Joseph 5 mpg. Will give Ennis a breather and maybe some time at the 2. Johnson 1-5 mpg. Most likely won't get any run unless Cooney is having a very bad night. Obokoh 1-3 mpg. Won't see much time unless our other bigs are in foul trouble. Patterson 1-3 mpg. Has to somehow steal minutes from Cooney and beat out BJ in practice each week.

Great post. If I were to break down the minutes with the roster you gave I'd probably fill it out the same way.

dasher said:
I really wish bj had red shirted. I could have seen him having a cooney like career. Sit out a year. Hardly play a year. Start for 3 years. Shame. It's a wasted year for BJ.
maybe he will get a stress fracture...

Patience Fam. The couchburnhas been set!!!! He will be fine.
I love program guys who know that JB rewards patience and hardwork. BJ will become a good alternative to Trevor next year, and become a household name as a Jr.

Patience Fam. The couchburnhas been set!!!! He will be fine.

Great to hear--BJ has a bright future in Orange! Like many great players before him, he just has to wait his turn. He'll be a major, major contributor before he's done here.

So.....our 8th man tomorrow, (remember they like blowing whistles against us at the Pete), is it BJ or Bus?
I'm thinking we handle the BMK issue by going 3-guards at the first substitution and buy time, at worst, with that.
Under that scenario, it's possible we may need one of them.
Its not that much different that what Pitt does.
Any combo of Fair/Grant/Rak/Gbinije is still tall, and if Zanna is hobbled, I think we match up.
I'm not counting on BMK playing at all, SU doesn't do Willis Reed moments.
We're good, with some down-the-middle calls from the refs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom