Bloomsburg thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Bloomsburg thoughts

General20

Basketball Maven
Discounting the fact that they had the word HUSKIES written on their butts, which quite frankly creeped me out, Bloomsburg (unlike Pace) looked every bit the equal of a D1 team. They had D1 size across the board, they were the champions of their league last year, and they had the preseason player of the year in their league.

Despite this, Bloomsburg had no chance of stopping Syracuse's offense. They tried man to man, they tried zone, they tried to press - nothing so much as slowed Syracuse down. For what its worth I think Syracuse is going to have one of its best offensive years ever this year.

Even though Syracuse could score at will from the opening tip on, Bloomsberg managed to keep the game tight for about ten minutes. They did it by scoring on us as often as we were able to score on them. They looked to be very well coached, and knew how to attack the 2-3 zone. What that well coached team decided to do every single time down the court for the first ten minutes of the game was attack the area DaJuan Coleman was guarding.

Like the last exhibition game against Pace, Coleman started on the wing of the zone. I had some thoughts about Coleman's ability to defend the wing during that game that I held in. After all, it was only his first game. I know this is only his second game, but even so I am no longer able to hold these thoughts in. Its painfully clear to me that Coleman is incapable of guarding the wing of the zone. He was not able to get out on shooters, he was not able to stop dribble penetration, he was not able to get in passing lanes, he was not able to rebound, he was not able to block shots. In short, he was not quick enough to be in the right place at the right time.

Blomsburg, who was clearly well coached, knew this going in and literally attacked it on every single possession. Boeheim tried moving Coleman from one side of the court to the other, but no matter what side he went to Bloomsburg attacked it without fail, and without fail earned a wide open shot.

At the time Boeheim finally gave up on having Coleman play the wing, Syracuse was up 26-20. The change Boeheim made was simple. Christmas went from the center to the wing and Coleman when from the wing to the center. The difference was dramatic. Syracuse went on a 34-4 run, and the 4 points that Bloomsburg did score were off a play where Grant threw the ball directly to the opposing team who went in for an uncontested dunk, and two free throws. In other words, the four points Bloomsburg scored did not come against our defense.

This game can be summed up very efficiently and effectively by pointing out that single change in Coleman's position.

I like Coleman's skill set, a lot. I'd like to see him use his frame a little more and bang more for position under the basket (something the Big East teaches centers to do quickly and unfailingly), and I'd like to see him throw in a few more pump fakes. These are two very small and very fixable issues - so long as he is the center. Its time to end the Coleman as a power forward experiment and let him learn the center spot full time.

After the run I mentioned above, the game was over. Syracuse started messing around with presses and man to man D (like they have always done preseason in other years, but had not done yet this year) and basically cruised to a victory.

Onto a few other things I noticed.

Someone lit a fire under Triche. He played as intensely as I've ever seen anybody play in an exhibition game, but it wasn't just that, he also played smart. Triche clearly had one goal and only one goal in mind today - get inside, get to the basket. This should be a winning strategy for us all year. We have two very big guards in MCW and Triche. We also have an excess of forwards and bigs who can step away from the basket and stretch the D (Southerland, Fair, even Coleman can hit jump shots), creating huge lanes for our guards to get to the basket where they can utilize their size mismatch. Triche understood that today, he exploited it, and was rewarded by being the highest scoring and best player on the court.

I did not fail to point out Triche's poor game against Pace, but I also pointed out that he was very capable of going for twenty the next game and making us all forget the Pace game. Triche did exactly that, and in doing so showed a blueprint for how he can succeed against just about every team we play this year.

Besides pulling opposing bigs away from the basket and letting our tall guards exploit mismatches inside, there are a few other offensive sets Syracuse will run this year that make my mouth water.

The first is the pick and roll with MCW and Southerland. This is an NBA quality pick and roll. Both players have NBA size and NBA athleticism. Both players are capable of going to the basket and dunking over help D. Both players are capable of burying wide open shots. With this pick and roll the defense basically has to pick their poison and hope one of our guys has an off day. I literally can't see enough of this play.

The second is DaJuan Coleman in the high post feeding Christmas in the low post. This set is still a work in progress. They ran it a few times against Pace with no success, but were able to run it successfully against Bloomsburg. Coleman can hit a mid range jumper so he must be guarded. That leaves Christmas down low against the opposing power forward. He was able to dunk right over Bloomsburg's power forward . . . but he would have a physical mismatch against almost anybody in the Big East as well. I hope they keep working on this play because it has a lot of potential.

Cooney finally got some action. He looked very comfortable handling the ball, and comfortable (though with work still to do) on defense. Have to think that was a positive first game for him. I really liked that he would take a few dribbles to put the D in a weaker position before making a pass, not enough players do that. There are going to be a few teams he goes off against this year, though I think Triche and MCW will be on the court the vast majority of the time.

Grant looked very good too. He is the prototypical Syracuse forward if there ever was one. Six foot eight, freakishly long arms, freakish athleticism, great ball handling skills. He has all the tools, and you've got to think with the basketball family he comes from that he is going to put everything together for us in a big way. That said, he is going to need time to learn our zone. Right now he is in the early stages of learning it and is in the wrong places a lot. He will play a good amount in games where the outcome is not in doubt, but when its close Fair and Southerland are going to get all the time.

Southerland lead a fast break today as perfectly as any guard we have ever had. Boeheim knew we would need ball handling help this year, and ball handling was clearly a focus for both Southerland and Fair in the off season. Southerland has needed to work on it all four years, and that work is clearly paying off. He looks ready for a huge year. Fair is playing outside more, using his improved dribble to drive to the basket, and he looks silky smooth doing it. It seems to me that our forwards were working hard over the summer.

My guess is that Christmas plays more minutes than Coleman early in the season but that Coleman catches and surpasses Christmas as he starts to "get it." But that's just a guess. Should be an interesting battle for minutes all year. Even Kieta will be in the mix. Early he will provide crucial stability off the bench, but if those two guys progress enough his playing time may dwindle.

I wanted to see progress from the Pace game to this one, and that is exactly what I saw. The team that played Pace did not look capable of beating a top 25 team. This one did. Hopefully there will be an equal amount of improvement between now and the time they lace them up against San Diego St. It will be interesting to see what develops, and no matter what I am sure this is going to be a fun team to watch.

I'm so upset to have missed this game today. If Triche had a great game, that's terrific news. The better he is, the better we will be. But mostly what we need from his is consistency, help with the ball, dribble penetration, good defense at the top of the zone, spot up 3's when you're open. He can do it. He's a very good player. This is a great sign.

I think it's pretty obvious that Coleman will have to play center, provided he can direct the defense. That's probably the reason JB starts with Rak in the middle. That's my guess, anyway.

The player Grant reminds me most of is a young John Wallace. John was a little further ahead at the same point, but he might have been a year older coming out of school. Wallace got bullied a bit for a year or two, and then he kind of grew into his game. Grant isn't going to get enough minutes this year to approach John's numbers from his freshman year in 92-93, but he could turn into exactly that kind of player. He moves fluidly like Wallace, kind of glides, similar build, Grant is showing more of a physical readiness than we may have expected. Has a nice shooting stroke, has a sense of where to be on the floor. High BB IQ, as they say. I think we're going to see big things out of this young man in another year, and probably some important contributions this year, too.

Coleman is a 5, always has been and always will be. I've been confused by this 4 experiment. Problem is, Christmas while being more athletic and more able to play the 4 than Coleman, is a natural 5 also and his skill set dictates that also. Crunch time, Fair and Southerland will be at the 3/4. The most effective that day between Christmas, Coleman and Keita will be the 5.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Nice write-up and spot-on about DJC in the zone. He doesn't have the quickness on the wing that has helped make the zone so effective these past few years. Watching him try to play on the wing reminded me of a freshman Rick Jackson trying to play out there.

At the time Boeheim finally gave up on having Coleman play the wing, Syracuse was up 26-20. The change Boeheim made was simple. Christmas went from the center to the wing and Coleman when from the wing to the center. The difference was dramatic. Syracuse went on a 34-4 run, and the 4 points that Bloomsburg did score were off a play where Grant threw the ball directly to the opposing team who went in for an uncontested dunk, and two free throws. In other words, the four points Bloomsburg scored did not come against our defense.

Nice analysis and observations. I agree with much of what you wrote. But, I think it's only fair to point out that the spark that led to the dramatic spurt to finish the half and break the game wide open was more than just interchanging Rak and DC. Boeheim actually went with a lineup that, unfortunately, we will see very little if any of during the regular season. Not only did Coleman move to center with Rak and Grant on the wings but he also had JSouth at the #2. With MCW at point that was an incredible amount of length on the defensive end. More than Bloomsburg could handle and probably more than the majority of D1 schools would like to see. As you mentioned Bloomsburg only managed a few garbage points in the remainder of the half and they really had a tough time getting within 23' of the basket. This led to to some turnovers, easy rebounds and pushed tempo going the other way. You are right though, Coleman isn't nearly as well suited to be out on the wing as he is to be minding the paint.

Coleman is a 5, always has been and always will be. I've been confused by this 4 experiment. Problem is, Christmas while being more athletic and more able to play the 4 than Coleman, is a natural 5 also and his skill set dictates that also. Crunch time, Fair and Southerland will be at the 3/4. The most effective that day between Christmas, Coleman and Keita will be the 5.

well i think the idea is that we prefer a center with shot blocking potential, which dajuan does not seem to have. arinze was an outlier in that respect because he got an abnormal number of steals for a center. so the preference would be that we could play xmas at center, who is a better shotblocker and hide coleman at the 4 who is a better offensive option in the post. unfortunately coleman does not appear to be capable of covering the wing defensively. however, xmas does appear capable. it just mean that coleman has to occupy space in the middle as opposed to block shots in the fab melo sense, and rather eat space and rebound. however, i think this leads to a slightly worse overall defense.

well i think the idea is that we prefer a center with shot blocking potential, which dajuan does not seem to have. arinze was an outlier in that respect because he got an abnormal number of steals for a center. so the preference would be that we could play xmas at center, who is a better shotblocker and hide coleman at the 4 who is a better offensive option in the post. unfortunately coleman does not appear to be capable of covering the wing defensively. however, xmas does appear capable. it just mean that coleman has to occupy space in the middle as opposed to block shots in the fab melo sense, and rather eat space and rebound. however, i think this leads to a slightly worse overall defense.

Blocked shots are a great weapon that SU has been very successful with over the years. But the ability to play basic defense is more critical.

Nice analysis and observations. I agree with much of what you wrote. But, I think it's only fair to point out that the spark that led to the dramatic spurt to finish the half and break the game wide open was more than just interchanging Rak and DC. Boeheim actually went with a lineup that, unfortunately, we will see very little if any of during the regular season. Not only did Coleman move to center with Rak and Grant on the wings but he also had JSouth at the #2. With MCW at point that was an incredible amount of length on the defensive end. More than Bloomsburg could handle and probably more than the majority of D1 schools would like to see. As you mentioned Bloomsburg only managed a few garbage points in the remainder of the half and they really had a tough time getting within 23' of the basket. This led to to some turnovers, easy rebounds and pushed tempo going the other way. You are right though, Coleman isn't nearly as well suited to be out on the wing as he is to be minding the paint.

The way James played the 2 today I will be surprised if we don't see more of it. And it shocks me to even write that thought down...unbelievable difference in his ball handling.

I too like the shot blocking, shot altering center. It was great last year with Fab taking charges and altering/blocking shots. Even though we blocked/altered all those shots last year we gave up a ton of second and third chance points because we struggled rebounding the ball, especially Fab. When he missed the blocks, he was out of position which led to easy buckets. If Coleman rebounds like we all believe he can, he can have a similar impact as Fab but in a different way. Fab only averaged 5.8 RPG, Joseph's 4.7 RPG in 33 minutes. Joseph's was an absolutely awful rebounder from the wing. I believe Fair (5.4 RPG in 25 min), Southerland (3.1 RPG in only 15min), Grant and Christmas (3 RPG in only 10min) will all help improve the rebounding from the wing significantly. We all know that Coleman is a great rebounder as well. Hopefully with these bigger bodies we will rebound the ball better, and limit our opponents shots. Hopefully this leads to more shot opportunities on the other end of the court. Not only will our opposition get less shots, but we can hopefully get the second and third chance opportunities that we sorely lacked last year. A lot of times last year, we were only getting one shot on offense. This really effected us when we were not getting out into transition because we were not a great shooting team.

I think we have a great combination of centers from very physical - Coleman to very quick, shot blocker - Keita, with Christmas the combination in the middle. Some games we will need the physical guys and others the quicker guys will excell. Best centers on a Syracuse squad in a long time and 15 high quality fouls at that position. When did we have such depth at center?

I wouldn't give up on Coleman at the wing yet. It's very early on in his first season of trying to do it. Last season there were people here who swore Christmas couldn't defend the wing and would never ever be able to, now we're calling for him to play out there.

In addition to shotblocking in the middle from Christmas, playing Coleman on the wing allows you more flexibility in your lineup because it allows you to play Keita and Coleman together if that is desirable or necessary. Not that we will see a lot of that configuration, but it is one more tool in the arsenal.

I don't think you can really have those two on the floor together unless you have Keita in the middle and Coleman on the wing.

I agree with not giving up on coleman at the wing.

James is the first guy off the bench. I like the idea of going with Coleman and CJ banging high/mid/low post with James on the perimeter at first sub for offensive reasons. Sliding Coleman to the center changes our backline vastly after the opening tip. Having Coleman and Rak switch like that could be a advantage because teams will need to get used to in game. I think opponents will have a harder time having to adjust to colemans wide body then they will having to adjust to Raks shotblocking at first sub. Although I also feel Rak could edn up being the better rebounder at center in the small lineup as well. He was amazing as a rebounding center last year for a fresh.

Also just wanted to add Our bigs passed the ball excellently last game. Amazing. They had as many assists and secondary assists as field goals almost. Their passing was more then really impressive against Bloomsburg.

I think this has been true in the past (Rak feeling more comfortable at the 5), but I saw Rak block several shots off the ball. He's clearly feeling more comfortable playing the wing this year and floating in for a block or rebound. Also, for the reasons General points out, even if Rak isn't quite as comfortable at the 4, DC2 is going to force him there (at least against bigger teams and possibly against most teams) because DeJuan's just too big a body to get out on shooters. Most of us have been posting as much for the last 6 months.

Oops... I thought this was going to be a thread about the NYC mayor and how he handled the Marathon cancellation and other storm issues. I guess you can tell I in live in Metro NYC -- where he has been on the air steadily for nine days.

Oops... I thought this was going to be a thread about the NYC mayor and how he handled the Marathon cancellation and other storm issues. I guess you can tell I in live in Metro NYC -- where he has been on the air steadily for nine days.

He can't cover the wing, either.

Great sumamry, especially for an exhibtion game. I think the one quesiton for this team is who do we use at the center and power forward positons. What do we look for at each positon? On the 2010 team our leading shot blocker was Wes Johnson from the forward positon. But Rak can't score like Wes. I think will see one of the "small" forwards in there a lot of the time. But JB wants to play Coleman to take advantage of what he can give us. I love high post low post basketball and I love his outlet passes. Christmas needs to be close to the bakset to score so putitng Coleman in the high post and Rak down low makes a lot of sense.

That can't help morale. lol

From a distance I thought that tall, thin, bald coach of Bloomsburg was Jon Barry.

155477931-head-coach-john-sanow-of-the-bloomsburg-gettyimages.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom