Board of Coaches for USA Today Basketball poll... | Syracusefan.com

Board of Coaches for USA Today Basketball poll...

cto

Administrator
The coaches who vote in the poll consist of one coach per conference.

Jim Boeheim, the long-time Big East rep, is now the ACC rep (displacing whomever had that honor).

But the really interesting thing to me, are the Big East and America Conference reps. Two conference newbies... Greg McDermott of Creighton for the Big East... and the Tulane coach for the America Conference

The USA TODAY Sports Board of Coaches is made up of 32 head coaches at Division I institutions. All are members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The board for the 2014-15 season: Tommy Amaker, Harvard; Randy Bennett, Saint Mary?s; Jim Boeheim, Syracuse; Todd Bozeman, Morgan State; Glenn Braica, St. Francis Brooklyn; Rick Byrd, Belmont; Scott Cherry, High Point; Tim Cluess, Iona; Ed Conroy, Tulane; Keith Dambrot, Akron; Scott Drew, Baylor; Matt Driscoll, North Florida Steve Fisher, San Diego State; Bruiser Flint, Drexel; Mark Fox, Georgia; John Gallagher, Hartford; Ray Harper, Western Kentucky; Dick Hunsaker, Utah Valley; George Ivory, Arkansas-Pine Bluff; Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa; Rob Jeter, Wisconsin-Milwaukee; Danny Kaspar, Texas State; Mike McConathy, Northwestern State; Greg McDermott, Creighton; Matt Painter, Purdue; Dave Paulsen, Bucknell; Randy Rahe, Weber State; Joe Scott, Denver; Herb Sendek, Arizona State; Shaka Smart, Virginia Commonwealth; Bob Williams, UC-Santa Barbara; Mike Young, Wofford.

That is interesting. Wasn't there an article a few years ago where many coaches admitted not even filling out the ballots but giving it to assistants, interns etc to fill out? I can't recall all of it but some may have admitted not seeing many of the teams they were asked to vote on. I think JB has said he avidly watches games and has always filled out his own ballot. Makes me wonder if it's a duty that not all coaches want or should have. Hopefully conferences are starting to appoint coaches who are pure basketball junkies who do watch games and take the task seriously. Hoping I remember this correctly.

What amazes me is the short tenure of all the coaches in the AAC in their current jobs. 8 years is the longest coaching stint at any school in the conference.

Dunphy - Temple and Cronin - Cinci have been there since 2006 and at their universities the longest in the conference.
Pastner - Memphis (2009);
Conroy-Tulane, Lebo-E.Carolina and Jones-UCF all started in 2010;
Ollie-UConn and Brown-SMU started in 2012
while Sampson-Houston, Antigua-USF and Haith-Tulsa are all in their first year at their schools in 2014.

Here's an article regarding D1 basketball coaches tenures. It was written in 2013. Amazing how short most college coaches have been at their current schools.

http://collegespun.com/acc/syracuse...res-of-all-351-current-d-i-basketball-coaches

Last edited:
The name on that list surprising me the most is Todd Bozeman. Yup, the same Todd Bozeman who paid a player while at Cal, and was subsequently banned from college hoops for almost a decade.