Bob Cousy did against Syracuse what Rondo did last night | Syracusefan.com

Bob Cousy did against Syracuse what Rondo did last night

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
In 1953 he scored 50 points, a number that was remarkable because the NBA had not yet introduced the shot clock, making the game static.

Powered by Auerbach's quick fast-break-dominated tactics, the Celtics won 46 games and beat the Syracuse Nationals 2–0 in the 1953 NBA Playoffs.

Game 2 ended 111–105 in a 4-overtimethriller, in which Cousy had a much-lauded game.

Despite having an injured leg, he scored 25 points after four quarters, scored 6 of his team's 9 points in the first overtime, hit a clutchfree throw in the last seconds, and scored all 4 of Boston's points in the second overtime.

He scored 8 more points in the third overtime, among them a 25-ft. buzzer beater.

In the fourth overtime, he scored 9 of Boston's 12 points. Cousy played 66 minutes, and scored 50 points after making a still-standing record of 30 free throws in 32 attempts.

This game is regarded by the NBA as one of the finest scoring feats ever, in line with Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game. However, for the third time in a row, the Knicks beat Boston in the next round.

In 1953 he scored 50 points, a number that was remarkable because the NBA had not yet introduced the shot clock, making the game static.

Powered by Auerbach's quick fast-break-dominated tactics, the Celtics won 46 games and beat the Syracuse Nationals 2–0 in the 1953 NBA Playoffs.

Game 2 ended 111–105 in a 4-overtimethriller, in which Cousy had a much-lauded game.

Despite having an injured leg, he scored 25 points after four quarters, scored 6 of his team's 9 points in the first overtime, hit a clutchfree throw in the last seconds, and scored all 4 of Boston's points in the second overtime.

He scored 8 more points in the third overtime, among them a 25-ft. buzzer beater.

In the fourth overtime, he scored 9 of Boston's 12 points. Cousy played 66 minutes, and scored 50 points after making a still-standing record of 30 free throws in 32 attempts.

This game is regarded by the NBA as one of the finest scoring feats ever, in line with Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game. However, for the third time in a row, the Knicks beat Boston in the next round.
Did Cousy get clubbed in the head on a drive to the hoop with a minute left in OT in a tie game, and have the refs swallow their whistle while the opposing team went down the court for the go ahead dunk? Course maybe Rondo wouldn't have had to do all the scoring in OT if Pierce hadn't been called for his 6th foul for jumping straight up in the air while Wade flung himself into him.

I know, I'm a whiny homer. I guess I should look at the brightside, at least we didn't get called for 5 technicals last night. Ps - interesting post!

Did Cousy get clubbed in the head on a drive to the hoop with a minute left in OT in a tie game, and have the refs swallow their whistle while the opposing team went down the court for the go ahead dunk? Course maybe Rondo wouldn't have had to do all the scoring in OT if Pierce hadn't been called for his 6th foul for jumping straight up in the air while Wade flung himself into him.

I know, I'm a whiny homer. I guess I should look at the brightside, at least we didn't get called for 5 technicals last night. Ps - interesting post!

A lot of guys got clubbed in the head and in many other places in those days. Most teams had a designated "goon" and the general style of play was quite physical.

I also love reading stuff like this. Hopefully all the people on here who think basketball began with Jordan read it too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom