boeheim earned his right to go out his way | Syracusefan.com

boeheim earned his right to go out his way

orangehomer

All American
and it's fine, i'm good here he wants to coach his son and as long as he is cognizant and healthy, who am I to say otherwise? having said that, I also feel disappointed that this isn't year one of the Hopkins experiment. I would have liked to see what Hopkins could do here, which I just don't think is going to happen. I like the staff but quite frankly boeheim is old, we don't know what could happen at any time. I mean we are close to having an 80 year old coaching 18 year olds.

If he has an offensive coordinator per se then I agree. Far less ‘talented’ teams draw up better stuff consistently schematically on offense. It could really be exposed this year without the shooters bailing us out.

If he has an offensive coordinator per se then I agree. Far less ‘talented’ teams draw up better stuff consistently schematically on offense. It could really be exposed this year without the shooters bailing us out.
Notre Dame and Michigan run great offenses with lots of motion built for shooters, but they also recruit specifically to those offensive schemes. We recruit specifically for JB’s morphing 2-3 zone and a high ball screen offense. I sometimes wish we’d run the ND or UM offense, but they’re typically not good defensive teams.

This is one of the best arguments for JB’s greatness (both as an offensive and defensive mastermind) I’ve ever heard, and it comes from one of the best to ever coach the game (Calhoun) and one of JB’s fiercest rivals. The guy knows more about basketball than anybody.

and it's fine, i'm good here he wants to coach his son and as long as he is cognizant and healthy, who am I to say otherwise? having said that, I also feel disappointed that this isn't year one of the Hopkins experiment. I would have liked to see what Hopkins could do here, which I just don't think is going to happen. I like the staff but quite frankly boeheim is old, we don't know what could happen at any time. I mean we are close to having an 80 year old coaching 18 year olds.
Hop’s coaching is a little shaky at the end of this game here.

Notre Dame and Michigan run great offenses with lots of motion built for shooters, but they also recruit specifically to those offensive schemes. We recruit specifically for JB’s morphing 2-3 zone and a high ball screen offense. I sometimes wish we’d run the ND or UM offense, but they’re typically not good defensive teams.

I know. A double-edged sword or robbing Peter to pay Paul. We haven’t run good high ball screen offense in a LONG time though.

On that note, Happy 73rd Birthday Jimmy Boeheim! #mycoach

I like Hop quite a bit, but i dont share the same sadness over him leaving. Time will tell if we lost a great one, but what we effectively lost was a great recruiter/assistant, and a question mark for a head coach. I wish him the best and if he is solid at UW maybe Wildhack makes a run at him in 4-5 years. If not and this team has some talent when Boeheim is done it will be a destination job for a strong up and coming coach.

I feel like people that wish JB was gone and someone else was coaching SU aren't looking at the over all picture. JB is arguably a top 10 all time college bball coach (I believe he is). He's undoubtedly top 10 amongst active coaches. Even if we had the next big thing young coach the odds of them ever achieving JB's level of coaching are very close to zero. Not to mention his longevity and consistency. There isn't a coach out there I'd prefer coaching the squad this year.

Last edited:
I have to feel like people that wish JB was gone and someone else was coaching SU aren't looking at the over all picture. JB is arguably a top 10 all time college bball coach (I believe he is). He's undoubtedly top 10 amongst active coaches. Even if we had the next big thing young coach the odds of them ever achieving JB's level of coaching are very close to zero. Not to mention his longevity and consistency. There isn't a coach out there I'd prefer coaching the squad this year.
This is the old grass is always greener. It isn't. JB is a great coach. I think we would be hard pressed to find 10 better. Anyway, I will take my chances with him.

I like JB as our coach. However he and SU should have told Hopkins long time ago if JB was intent on staying to coach his kid. He just laid in wait to see if his kid was good enough. That was totally unfair to Hopkins. How good Hopkins might be has nothing to do in my analysis. I just think he got treated badly. Coach in waiting indeed. If JB gets some well deserved grief for the way he played Hopkins then I truly believe he earned that too.

I like JB as our coach. However he and SU should have told Hopkins long time ago if JB was intent on staying to coach his kid. He just laid in wait to see if his kid was good enough. That was totally unfair to Hopkins. How good Hopkins might be has nothing to do in my analysis. I just think he got treated badly. Coach in waiting indeed. If JB gets some well deserved grief for the way he played Hopkins then I truly believe he earned that too.
Hop would have been the coach next year if he had stayed. That was a done deal. I think it is fair to say that Hop saw that Jb didn't want to go and didn't want to be the guy that pushed his mentor out. But the school and jb were fair to Hop. If he would have stayed, he would be the coach next year. Oh, and Hop was paid very well for an ass't coach.

Hop would have been the coach next year if he had stayed. That was a done deal. I think it is fair to say that Hop saw that Jb didn't want to go and didn't want to be the guy that pushed his mentor out. But the school and jb were fair to Hop. If he would have stayed, he would be the coach next year. Oh, and Hop was paid very well for an ass't coach.
If it was a done deal then JB deciding he wanted to keep Hop waiting 5 more years is not fair no matter how you slice it. Putting Hop in that situation was nasty. But if getting paid makes it OK then they should pay all assistant coaches. Or do they do that already? I also wonder...hmmm... do head coaches get paid a hell of a lot more than well paid assistant coaches...I wonder... I apologize in advance for the sarcasm - you know me well enough for the last several years to know it comes way too easy for me.

I seriously have no regrets having JB as a coach for a few more years. I still say Hop got the shaft after waiting for so damned long. Now if Hop shows he can be a really good head coach, then when JB or his athletic director think its time , again, for him to leave maybe Hop would be in the running to come back to his dream job. I would rather have Hop with success and experience rather than Hop learning on the fly at SU. So can I have my cake and eat it too?

All due respect, but this reads like one of those “Huh?” , leading to nowhere” threads. Love him or hate him, is there anyone who disputes whether JB has earned “a right to go out his way”? Really?
And if there is someone who disputes this, please...by all means, lay out your case as to why you disagree. It should be interesting.

Last edited:
I think the pertinent question isn't 'can we get a coach that will match JB's career success?' That's going to be pert near impossible. For a bevy of reasons. We're in more difficult circumstances now, in the ACC, for one. And because it's not typical that a coach would be so committed to one school for so long. Usually, if they're successful, they'll look at the NBA or at a larger contract. We've been lucky.

The real question, re: replacing JB is, 'will the next coach be better than JB has been recently?' If you think JB is at the top of his craft now you get one answer. If you think he's in decline, then the answer's a bit different, and the incoming coach doesn't need to be a hall of famer to be better than what JB would be if he continued.

I can't now think of who would be a good replacement. I'm not enthusiastic about anyone on our bench. I'd love Buzz and i think he'd be interested. Outside of that, who could we really count on for stability and excellence?

I just don't want to see us become a revolving door of coaches after JB leaves. I hope we can find another quality coach that is a lifer at SU and that likely means an alum.

I think the pertinent question isn't 'can we get a coach that will match JB's career success?' That's going to be pert near impossible. For a bevy of reasons. We're in more difficult circumstances now, in the ACC, for one. And because it's not typical that a coach would be so committed to one school for so long. Usually, if they're successful, they'll look at the NBA or at a larger contract. We've been lucky.

The real question, re: replacing JB is, 'will the next coach be better than JB has been recently?' If you think JB is at the top of his craft now you get one answer. If you think he's in decline, then the answer's a bit different, and the incoming coach doesn't need to be a hall of famer to be better than what JB would be if he continued.

I can't now think of who would be a good replacement. I'm not enthusiastic about anyone on our bench. I'd love Buzz and i think he'd be interested. Outside of that, who could we really count on for stability and excellence?

Good post. Agreed. You can’t ask a guy to come in and match Boeheim’s longevity and total pedigree/success but some I feel are so afraid of change. No reason why a proven or up and coming guy who has cache can’t come in here and have success. I personally would embrace a whole change of style and not be limited to the all zone restrictions and how certain recruits will be off limits by default because of it. Some tweaks in offensive philosophies and more stress on fundamentals may be nice, too. ACC, a nice and much needed Dome reno pending, Melo Center, major brand, etc., will sell itself. I can’t see a new coach coming in here and mucking things up. It’s freaking tailor made for success, IMO. Boeheim isn’t going to be here forever so we should get used to that sooner than later and embrace it.

Take that Mike White from Florida. He’s going to come in here and mess things up? Not a chance. Those Gators under him play hard and his guards are awesome. They gave UVA the biggest whoopin’ I’ve ever seen Tony Bennett take in the Tourney last year. That Rice transfer is very good. He recruits well too with some IMG and Montverde connects. A guy like him would be terrific for Syracuse, IMO.

Last edited:
All due respect, but this reads like one of those “Huh?” , leading to nowhere” threads. Love him or hate him, is there anyone who disputes whether JB has earned “a right to go out his way”? Really?
And if there is someone who disputes this, please...by all means, lay out your case as to why you disagree. It should be interesting.
well JB was already given the opportunity to step aside gracefully have a farewell fling and say goodbye.
that time passed so if they feel the need to can him midseason for whatever reason have at it !
that's my case.

well JB was already given the opportunity to step aside gracefully have a farewell fling and say goodbye.
that time passed so if they feel the need to can him midseason for whatever reason have at it !
that's my case.
Like i said:

You do realize that you are making this up out of thin air without a shard of supporting evidence.

Conspiracy theories are your thing, I guess.

that's my case.

Your so-called case is built upon a fictional premise.

It's your interpretation of what happened when Hopkins left to take the UW job. Which, of course, runs counter to what Wildhack, Hopkins and Boeheim publically stated.)

And you use that imagined scenario to justify SU firing JB half-way through the season? (Which has no chance of happening)

Quite a case you have there.