Boeheim, the Modern Era, road games ... | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, the Modern Era, road games ...

SU94

Starter
I have been an deep SU fan -- and eventually a grad -- since Pearl walked onto the Dome court. So, we are roughly talking 30 years here. To me, and I think most, the modern era a college hoops began around 1980. Maybe it was '79 with the Bird-Magic NCAA Final. Let's not pick nits...

Anyhow, like many here, one of the things that gets me a tad fired up is when pundits and fans pontificate about our road schedule.

So, last night, basking in win #900, I looked up all of the road games outside of the Big East that Boeheim had scheduled and SU has played since the Pearl era began it all. They are not in chronological order. I did not mark the wins or anything like that.

Also note that I included games played in the state of the opposing school. So, that Kansas game is included that we won about 5 years ago in Kansas City.

Michigan State
Florida (Tampa)
Kansas (KC)
Georgia Tech (downtown Atlanta)
Missouri
Virginia
NC State
San Diego State (Aircraft in SD)
South Carolina
North Carolina
Arizona
Tennessee
Notre Dame (pre Big East)
UCLA
Michigan
Kentucky
Louisville (pre Big East)
UNLV (LV Holiday Tourny)
Memphis
Florida State (Orlando, I believe)
Duke (BE-ACC Challenge in Greensboro?)
Arkansas
Alabama
Alaska-Anckorage (fact, but I am kinda joking)

At the end of the day, it is hard to argue with the results. We won most of those games. And they seemed to set the team up well for the rigors of the Big East. Remember, we own the best road record in the history of the Big East.

And when you really think about it, with all of those tough BE teams, does that not put SU on the short list for the schools that perform the best on the road in modern NCAA history?

So, enough with the road record criticisms, OK? His formula works ... End of story.

Congrats to Coach Boeheim on 900!

the blue-bloods like unc, duke, UK, indiana seemingly play each other every year early in the season which are basically the only games that register nationally before christmas. i think the criticism comes from the espn types because they want syracuse in more of the eary season games because it will get ratings. the problem is that i don't think it is entirely our fault, because i don't think any of those teams want to play us in the dome even as a home and home arrangement with any regularity.

That will all change when we start playing St. John's, Georgetown, and Nova every year in the Garden preseason.

44cuse

Overall, I don't disagree, but some of your geography should be reconsidered (e.g., SU playing Florida State in Orlando is akin to FSU playing SU in the Garden.) :)

Overall, I don't disagree, but some of your geography should be reconsidered (e.g., SU playing Florida State in Orlando is akin to FSU playing SU in the Garden.) :)

Is it our fault that we have such a massive fanbase and they don't? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom