Boeheim vs Vitale | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim vs Vitale

palermoboeheimvitale__1_.0.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Is that referee Dick 'Froggy' Paparo? Wearing the glasses a joke?

Game was played Friday night on July 19, 1991. After cuse lost to Richmond in 1991 Vitale called out JAB and then you had the game.

There was actually another pic in the newspaper, of JB defending vitale and towering over him.

Crazy stuff. Can't imagine him doing anything like that now.

I remember that pic because I was there. It was during the now defunct Teddy T, 3 on 3 tourney that was held in downtown Rochester for about 3-5 years, before it died out. JimmyB won and it was not even close, as I recall.. That was a fun day. I had just met my future wife a couple of months earlier, and I may even have some pics of the challenge laying around the house somewhere. The tourney started out as a 3 day event that they would close down part of downtown. I remember going down there laughing to myself that Im going to see these 2 old guys trying to play some ball. Jimmy B was at the time about the age that I am right now, lol.

So Rochester circa 1991. A young John Wallace sees this game and wants to be the next #44 at Syracuse, just like the middle aged JB?

I meant in the pic with Vitale...the last number is clearly a 4 on that Jersey, but you can't make out the first number.
Take a look at the right edge of the 4, then compare it to the tiny bit of the right edge of the number you can't see. It looks the same to me - so I would assume he is wearing 44.

As I remember, Vitale at the end of the '91 season was loudly calling for Boeheim to be fired due to the allegations in the Post-Standard story. Then they played this charity event in the summer and Vitale totally changed his tune after that. Within a couple of years Vitale was calling for the University to name its basketball court after Boeheim.

As I remember, Vitale at the end of the '91 season was loudly calling for Boeheim to be fired due to the allegations in the Post-Standard story. Then they played this charity event in the summer and Vitale totally changed his tune after that. Within a couple of years Vitale was calling for the University to name its basketball court after Boeheim.

I wonder if JB injected him with something back then? I mean now Vitale has clamored for a statue of JB.