Bottom Line..... | Syracusefan.com

Bottom Line.....

newmexicuse

All Conference
We should have won this game for many reasons already discussed in this thread, the two biggest probably being MCW's missed freebie & Jimmy not fouling w 13 secs left.

However, looking at the week as a whole we could easily have lost one or both of the games with the Ville & Cincy. If we re-wind the clock to two minutes left in all three games we would all probably have taken a 2 & 1 record as the net end result.

A few things to me are apparent:

1. MCW might lead us to a FF - he also might lead us to a first or second round exit. I do not understand why a player who can penetrate at will has these 4 for 17 games & is so erratic at finishing at the rim. The one thing I notice is that as he goes up for the shot on drives he seems more focused on getting by his man than he does on keeping his eyes on the hoop. He is naturally not a great shooter, so if we put him in situations where we need him to make a late three we are in trouble.

2. Team badly misses James for many reasons, not the the least of which is simply depth. If he doesn't come back -no way we go beyond a Sweet Sixteen - best case.

3. For as long as James is out - CJ and Brandon, who are both inclined to play within themselves, have to be more aggressive in trying to take charge of the O. Brandon is getting better at it, but he really needs to take charge of this team. CJ is capable of at least creating his own shot a little bit. I like when he drives & pulls up for a ten footer - he needs to do that more often.

4. The one big plus is the development of Jerami & his progression. Nobody on this forum thought he would help more than Cooney and DC2 this season.

5. Speaking of Cooney - I had been one of his biggest supporters and I really believed he would improve as the season progressed. It hasn't happened. The green light needs to be taken off his shooting threes. It is getting worse & not better. He has had his chances. This season he can be nothing better than the caretaker of a few minutes at guard when BT or MCW needs a blow. Next season - we shall see. Can't imagine he will start ahead of MG.

6. Speaking of DC2 - I really hate the job Jimmy has done with this kid. He looks like he is walking on eggshells. Yes, he has a long ways to go in terms of defending in the Zone, but I say get him at least a few more minutes per game & take the shackles off. Tell him to just crash glass & let the rest of the chips fall where they may - he can't be any worse than what we have seen. No reason his rebound rate should have fallen so far off the cliff - zero in 7 minutes against Nova - ridiculous !!

7. XMas - Our best option in the middle. He has great athleticism, but so-so skills at best. Still, no reason he can't improve his consistency from game to game.

8. BMK - it looked like he was making some small strides on O earlier in the year. Can't remember the last game he has been any sort of an O end factor. Is it too much to expect two hoops a game from him ???

9. Jimmy - I definitely would have taken 18 & 2 from this group at this tage - so he gets a pass on the Nova game & he has done a great job overall, except for his handling of DC2 IMHO. Still, I am concerned if we do not get James back soon that it might be all downhill from here.