Boy, Louisville stinks... | Syracusefan.com

Boy, Louisville stinks...

The 'Ville looks like they are not very fired up tonight. Defense is far below their capability. Wake is playing a solid game though.

Have seen its 11-point halftime lead trimmed to one at Wake Forest, a team who has lost to Iona and Delaware State this year...:crazy:
I've said it for 100 years that it's not so easy to win on the road. Some people take it for granted. Now, losing at home like we did last year vs BC, that's different.

A solid NIT team for sure.
I wanna say hoorah too. But it all comes down to who you beat and we only have Iowa in the bag. No one thinks we are even a top 50 team. So its gonna take close to a miracle to make the tournament. Louisville is ranked 5 and has beaten OSU, WKU, Indiana, hung with kentucky. Louisville is 7th in PPG and 13th FG PCT. SU is 131th pts per game and 95th in fg pct. Don't get carried away with a Louisville What win when SU has already had What losses against Michigan, St.John's, VU and What wins against Louisiana Tech and VT.

I wanna say hoorah too. But it all comes down to who you beat and we only have Iowa in the bag. No one thinks we are even a top 50 team. So its gonna take close to a miracle to make the tournament. Louisville is ranked 5 and has beaten OSU, WKU, Indiana, hung with kentucky. Louisville is 7th in PPG and 13th FG PCT. SU is 131th pts per game and 95th in fg pct. Don't get carried away with a Louisville What win when SU has already had What losses against Michigan, St.John's, VU and What wins against Louisiana Tech and VT.

Pomeroy thinks we're top 50, we're #41 there (sadly, we were actually #30 before the VT game). Lunardi has us in the tournament, he thinks we're top 50.

Iowa is #34 in Pomeroy, higher than Indiana and WKU, and they've already beaten OSU. In fact, "What win" La Tech is #59, while WKU is #119.

I agree that we need quality wins, but there will be many opportunities in the coming weeks/months. Not time to panic quite yet.

I see Harrell getting 2-3 fouls on Roc early unless he's very careful.

Every game is going to be an absolute battle. Can't count any game as a sure thing.
This is the problem with a lot of the folks on this board. They don't understand two things:

1) We are NOT elite this year.
2) Bad teams beat mediocre teams all the time.

This whole year will be an uphill battle. Parity in college basketball has never been more pronounced. We are usually above that fray because of how good we've been the past five years. We're not there right now, and we are ripe for the picking from programs that historically couldn't hang with us.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if we lose to one of the following:

Wake Forest
Clemson
BC
NC State

Virginia Tech would have been on that list. We can't take any team for granted this year. They all can beat us. Yet people on this board will go ballistic if we lose to any of these teams. It's like they're all stuck in a loop of "we're Syracuse, we're great, we should beat these teams." This year it should be "we're Syracuse, we're vulnerable THIS YEAR, we can lose to anyone."

With that said, I think we can hang with any team outside of UVA (I think they are a HORRIBLE matchup for this team) if they come out and play smart, error free basketball. Unfortunately, we could guarantee that smart, error free basketball team would show up 90% of the time in previous years. This year, it's maybe 45% of the time.

Last edited:
The Louisville and SU games were similar. They played teams they should easily beat and both had good leads only to see those leads relinquish. The better team won at the end of course, although disappointed SU barely hung on instead of pulling away like the Ville did. Both teams have some veteran leadership, but also a few young guys who haven't really figured it out yet.

Ugh are we going to start a thread every time good team plays a close game now children??

If kyle Orton throws an interception and people trash him and say he stinks it doesn't mean that every time Tom Brady throws one I can say "oh he threw one he must stink too!!

If ya get my drift...

Also for what it's worth lville won by 9 after leading by 11 at half. Either way it's not about the final result as much as a pattern of pretty average at best play from the boys in orange right now that was highlighted throughout the 2nd half sat by the worst team in the acc minus one of their top guys.

Last edited:
This is the problem with a lot of the folks on this board. They don't understand two things:

1) We are NOT elite this year.
2) Bad teams beat mediocre teams all the time.

This whole year will be an uphill battle. Parity in college basketball has never been more pronounced. We are usually above that fray because of how good we've been the past five years. We're not there right now, and we are ripe for the picking from programs that historically couldn't hang with us.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone if we lose to one of the following:

Wake Forest
Clemson
BC
NC State

Virginia Tech would have been on that list. We can't take any team for granted this year. They all can beat us. Yet people on this board will go ballistic if we lose to any of these teams. It's like they're all stuck in a loop of "we're Syracuse, we're great, we should beat these teams." This year it should be "we're Syracuse, we're vulnerable THIS YEAR, we can lose to anyone."

With that said, I think we can hang with any team outside of UVA (I think they are a HORRIBLE matchup for this team) if they come out and play smart, error free basketball. Unfortunately, we could guarantee that smart, error free basketball team would show up 90% of the time. This year, it's maybe 45% of the time.

well we lost to two of them last year, so no s h i t it shouldn't surprise anyone, add in GT and we lost to 3 of the 5 last year

well we lost to two of them last year, so no s h i t it shouldn't surprise anyone, add in GT and we lost to 3 of the 5 last year
Doesn't change the fact that most here will act as if the world is coming to an end when it happens.

The world has already ended! We just don't know it yet. Shhhhhhhh

SUintheVille said:
The Louisville and SU games were similar. They played teams they should easily beat and both had good leads only to see those leads relinquish. The better team won at the end of course, although disappointed SU barely hung on instead of pulling away like the Ville did. Both teams have some veteran leadership, but also a few young guys who haven't really figured it out yet.

Actually we did pull away again after va tech cut it to 2, we had a 9 or 10 point lead with under 3 left. But we missed a bunch of free throws and bandana dude hit 2 ridiculous 3s to keep it close then they hit another 3 from corner to cut it to 2 with 5 seconds left. Va tech misses any of those 3s and we're not sweating out that last possession.

My two cents.
All these stats,win margins,psychological talks of taking people lighting and taking nights off are just clothing. Meaningless ramblings. VTech or nova pressure us for two halfs we probably lose both games by 10.

College Basketball is funny you can play teams to their weaknesses, and ours is pressure defense right now, and we are going to see alot of it.

When we get half court transition running we are arguably top 10 in the nation
However, as of right no if a team pressures us constantly for 2 halfs we aren't in the tournament.
You can't rank us correctly because of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom