BR: Orange Need to Ensure Mike Hopkins Is Next Coach | Syracusefan.com

BR: Orange Need to Ensure Mike Hopkins Is Next Coach

If Hopkins isn't the next coach at Syracuse, Jay Wright is the only other guy I would like to see leading this program.

What about Pitino The Younger ? He has proved himself capable of being a head coach at a national program.

CousCuse said:
What about Pitino The Younger ? He has proved himself capable of being a head coach at a national program.

He'll replace Rick at Louisville.

If Hopkins isn't the next coach at Syracuse, Jay Wright is the only other guy I would like to see leading this program.

Hopkins isn't taking over for Jim - haven't you heard? When Jim steps in, Julie is taking over until her oldest son is ready... keeping it in the family.

Seriously though, I want Mike to be the next head coach because he has more than put in his time. He has clearly demonstrated a high level of loyalty to the program and he is an excellent recruiter. I am unable to speak about his coaching ability simply because I have very little to go on. I also really like keeping it in the family (as does Duke). Not many programs do this (or are able to).

With that being said, if I had to be 100% honest, I would tell you that I would have more confidence bringing in Jay Wright. He is a class guy, players seem to really respond to him, and is a solid coach and recruiter. He is a known entity and would represent our program very well in many ways. I can't believe I'm saying all of this because I really do want Hopkins, but there are some question marks.

I hope we only see SU Alums as Head Coach from here on out. It makes me sick to see the turnover and non-commitment that other coaches have. SU is a family!

I hope we only see SU Alums as Head Coach from here on out. It makes me sick to see the turnover and non-commitment that other coaches have. SU is a family!

Should that come at the expense of winning?

If you can have both (winning at a high level and keeping it in the family), like what we have now, then that would certainly be ideal. However, if I had a choice of keeping it in the family and slipping back to a top 20-25 program or adopting a family member (from the outside) and sustaining a top 10 level status, I would choose the latter no question about it. For me, winning comes first. Everything else comes after.

Should that come at the expense of winning?

If you can have both (winning at a high level and keeping it in the family), like what we have now, then that would certainly be ideal. However, if I had a choice of keeping it in the family and slipping back to a top 20-25 program or adopting a family member (from the outside) and sustaining a top 10 level status, I would choose the latter no question about it. For me, winning comes first. Everything else comes after.

Winning is the #1 priority but a close second is doing it with class and staying within the rules. That is what separates guys like Jay Wright from Tom Creane or Buzz Williams. I would love for the next great SU coach to be an alum, and I would like it to be Hop. However, if Hop goes else where, I think we need to draw from a different pool of candidates.

We should all learn a lesson from West Virgina. They only date women they are related to. Look what happened there! #MountaniersSuck

Mike Hopkins has poured his heart and soul into Syracuse as a student-athlete, assistant coach and top recruiter. He is perhaps the hardest working coach in all of college basketball.

Too many here are dismissive of his efforts. There is absolutely no one that should be mentioned as the next head coach of Syracuse University oher than Mike Hopkins.

He is us.