Bracketing Rules? When did they change? | Syracusefan.com

Bracketing Rules? When did they change?

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
I noted that Gonzaga and St. Mary's are in the exact same region. What happened to the rule that the top 3 teams from each conference must be in a different region?

EDIT - This must have changed this year. Just looked at their document and no mention of it beyond the first 4 seed lines.

March Madness bracket: How the 68 teams are selected for the Division I Men's Basketball Tournament

Maybe it was earlier than this year as I have not done brackets in a few years. I see it's still on Wiki as a bracketing rule which is odd.

Last edited:
I believe that rule only applies if they are top 4 seed.
Either way the committee made another mistake bracketing VPI and UVA in the same half on the East regional teams. That played twice can't meet before the Elite 8. They theoretically could play in the Sweet 16.
Same for Kansas and Iowa State.

This committee did a chit job on bracketing. No way Minnesota was a 5 seed and Wisconsin an 8. It was almost like they wanted to defend selecting Michigan State and had to overrate Minnesota to justify them. Awful bracketing job by the committee.

I believe that rule only applies if they are top 4 seed.
Either way the committee made another mistake bracketing VPI and UVA in the same half on the East regional teams. That played twice can't meet before the Elite 8. They theoretically could play in the Sweet 16.
Same for Kansas and Iowa State.

This committee did a chit job on bracketing. No way Minnesota was a 5 seed and Wisconsin an 8. It was almost like they wanted to defend selecting Michigan State and had to overrate Minnesota to justify them. Awful bracketing job by the committee.

Especially given that selecting at larges was a relatively easy task this year with only 1 reasonable team needing to be eliminated. They should have hit all the rules.

Especially given that selecting at larges was a relatively easy task this year with only 1 reasonable team needing to be eliminated. They should have hit all the rules.
I mean all the committee had to do was flip Virginia Tech and Miami it would have been fine.
Miami and Virginia only played 1 time.
However they were too freaking lazy to research their own rules.
They could have put Virginia Tech with Kansas and Miami with Villanova and followed protocol.

This year's seeding was awful. I mean we got what we deserved not withstanding but the seeding was off.

Some guy on CBS said he would have no problem with 2 ACC teams facing each other in the first round, after they had Cal on, who also basically said let the cards fall where they may, stop with the special rules and just bracket by math or whatever they do.