Braeden Smith redshirting | Syracusefan.com

Braeden Smith redshirting

ThyCookie

Walk On
I'm very confused by the reports that Braeden Smith, Patriot League MVP and Syracuse killer, plans on redshirting this upcoming season with Gonzaga because of their already overloaded backcourt. I understand he's a Seattle native and so that played into his decision making, but i think it's a fascinating case study in transfer portal dynamics that I never even considered.

Maybe he’s getting a nil payday to redshirt. Perfect no show gig.
I suspect that has a lot to do with it. I'm sure the extra year of money softens the blow of having to sit out a year.

he's redshirting so he can be a backup to Syracuse's starting freshman PG next year.

You can't make me
the sopranos hbo GIF

Maximizing earnings. Will almost definitely make more money pre year at Gonzaga than he ever will playing pro basketball. Good for him being cool redshirting. Most kids don't look at it that way, sadly. Bad guidance.

Redshirting just killed Elijah Hughes and Wes Johnson’s careers when they transfered huh? Both only ended up in the NBA.

Is there anything to stop him from entering the portal next year?

Redshirting just killed Elijah Hughes and Wes Johnson’s careers when they transfered huh? Both only ended up in the NBA.

I don’t think anybody was coming at this from the angle that it’s going to hurt his career. It’s just odd to transfer and redshirt nowadays. Those guys did it because rules said they had to. They wouldn’t have transferred and sat if they weren’t required to.