Brandon Triche | Syracusefan.com

Brandon Triche

SWC75

Bored Historian
His percentages on two point field goals, three point field goals and free throws from his freshman year to his senior year, (so far). He's started every game.

2009-10 .567 / .400 / .634
2010-11 .500 / .333 / .842
2011-12 .473 / .350 / .775
2012-13 .512 / .289 / .743

If he was hitting .567 / .400 / .842 on the same number of shots that he's taken this season, he's have scored 411 points, or 17.1 per game. As it is he's still leading the team with 14.3 per game. But he's proven he can shoot better than this and the difference could have won us a couple more games.

I suspect two differences: Eve though he was a starter as a freshman, he was not a major offensive threat for that team and didn't get the defensive attention he gets now. But I also suspect that he's feeling the pressure to produce as a senior he didn't as a freshman and sophomore.

This is really interesting. What are the minutes per game for each of those seasons?

When it comes to defensive attention, I think he and MCW both get a lot of attention because we have zero offensive threat inside. Defenses don't worry about us beating them inside. That's our biggest offensive problem and has been all year.

When it comes to defensive attention, I think he and MCW both get a lot of attention because we have zero offensive threat inside. Defenses don't worry about us beating them inside. That's our biggest offensive problem and has been all year.

Interesting point.

I am a big believer in Triche. If he can regain consistency in the next few weeks, I think this team goes much deeper into March than many here have recently predicted.

Completely, 100% agree.

This even extends to CJ Fair, IMO. He does his scoring so "quietly" that teams are even content to let Fair get his 8-12 points per game while they focus more on stopping our guard play.

Makes sense if you think about it...stop MCW from creating offense via his drives to the hoop (and either taking it himself or then kicking out to open teammate) & stop Triche from getting into a hot shooting rhythm, and that should effectively provide a chance for other team to win.

I'd say the only other guy defenses focus on, besides MCW & Triche is Southerland (at least, after he lit up Arkansas)...but even then the point still holds true, since you stop Southerland by playing defense out against 3-point shots...so, still, your statement about lack of interior offense holds true.

Completely, 100% agree.

This even extends to CJ Fair, IMO. He does his scoring so "quietly" that teams are even content to let Fair get his 8-12 points per game while they focus more on stopping our guard play.

Makes sense if you think about it...stop MCW from creating offense via his drives to the hoop (and either taking it himself or then kicking out to open teammate) & stop Triche from getting into a hot shooting rhythm, and that should effectively provide a chance for other team to win.

I'd say the only other guy defenses focus on, besides MCW & Triche is Southerland (at least, after he lit up Arkansas)...but even then the point still holds true, since you stop Southerland by playing defense out against 3-point shots...so, still, your statement about lack of interior offense holds true.

One missing element of CJ's offensive game is the ability to post up. If he could post smaller defenders, it would go a long way toward (A) addressing the team deficiency, and (B) forcing defenders to account for him inside and not overplay the perimeter, opening things up for the guards.

Of course, it would be nice for Rak--or Coleman...or Keita...to provide some semblance of low post production, as well. Doesn't even have to be a ton--just something that would prevent defenses from over committing to attacking our guards without fear of getting burned inside.

Every good player has slumps. I'm happy Brandon's has come lately and not later in the season. I'm confident he'll bounce back.

One missing element of CJ's offensive game is the ability to post up. If he could post smaller defenders, it would go a long way toward (A) addressing the team deficiency, and (B) forcing defenders to account for him inside and not overplay the perimeter, opening things up for the guards.

Of course, it would be nice for Rak--or Coleman...or Keita...to provide some semblance of low post production, as well. Doesn't even have to be a ton--just something that would prevent defenses from over committing to attacking our guards without fear of getting burned inside.

I don't think it's missing as much as we just haven't given him an opportunity. I'd have a hard time believing CJ can't post up and finish with a little lefty hook shot from the block.

Said it before and I'll say it again, we need the ball to find it's way to the post. Period. Whether that leads directly to points, or kicked out for an open three, both are much needed options.

Just throwing the ball into the post a few times a game to see what happens forces the defense to focus on another aspect of the game.

I don't think it's missing as much as we just haven't given him an opportunity. I'd have a hard time believing CJ can't post up and finish with a little lefty hook shot from the block.

Actions speak louder than words, and to date CJ hasn't shown much proclivity to try to post up. I don't disagree that he has the ability to finish around the rim with an assortment of banks, hooks, etc. but thus far he hasn't posted much. Carmelo Anthony used to destroy smaller defenders down low when he was at SU, and when he wasn't scoring, he was drawing fouls and getting to the line. CJ isn't as big or strong as Carmelo, but he still has a size advantage over 6-4 / 6-5 guys that he plays against. Instead of looking to punish them down low by posting strong, he floats on the perimeter to come to the ball. That's also a function of the team not doing a good job feeding the post, per the rest of your post.

Said it before and I'll say it again, we need the ball to find it's way to the post. Period. Whether that leads directly to points, or kicked out for an open three, both are much needed options.

Just throwing the ball into the post a few times a game to see what happens forces the defense to focus on another aspect of the game.

I would kill to have a low post threat that could burn the opposition inside if they cheat on the perimeter. And I'm not even talking about double digits in scoring--just someone who can do something when they receive the ball in the post. I really expected Dajuan to be that guy [maybe to the tune of 7 / 7], but it hasn't happened...yet.

Prior to the uconn game, Keita had shown that he could at least clean up inside and put the ball through the hoop when he got the ball in good spots. Having Rak and Coleman [when he returns] demonstrate the same would go a long way toward shoring up a big deficiency in our team offensive concept.

We ran a "53" in the last game--the 5-man cross-screening for the 3-man--to post Fair up. I believe we scored on it. We probably should run it more often, especially since the play sees our best shooter feed the 3-man in the post. If the defense doubles-down off the shooter, and the shooter and 3-man read this, it should produce a good look for a three-pointer (which the shooter would still have to make). If a double comes from the 5-man's defender, then he has weak-side rebounding position. If no double comes, the 3-man has a one-on-one in the block area. I would take Fair in that spot over most defenders.

We used to run the play with Forth/McNeil screening for Melo with G-Mac feeding him. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

Actions speak louder than words, and to date CJ hasn't shown much proclivity to try to post up. I don't disagree that he has the ability to finish around the rim with an assortment of banks, hooks, etc. but thus far he hasn't posted much. Carmelo Anthony used to destroy smaller defenders down low when he was at SU, and when he wasn't scoring, he was drawing fouls and getting to the line. CJ isn't as big or strong as Carmelo, but he still has a size advantage over 6-4 / 6-5 guys that he plays against. Instead of looking to punish them down low by posting strong, he floats on the perimeter to come to the ball. That's also a function of the team not doing a good job feeding the post, per the rest of your post.

I would kill to have a low post threat that could burn the opposition inside if they cheat on the perimeter. And I'm not even talking about double digits in scoring--just someone who can do something when they receive the ball in the post. I really expected Dajuan to be that guy [maybe to the tune of 7 / 7], but it hasn't happened...yet.

Prior to the uconn game, Keita had shown that he could at least clean up inside and put the ball through the hoop when he got the ball in good spots. Having Rak and Coleman [when he returns] demonstrate the same would go a long way toward shoring up a big deficiency in our team offensive concept.

You'd think that might be because he was never asked to do it. I'd like to think if JB told CJ, "Hey, you've got a mismatch inside and an advantage being left-handed (yes, this is an advantage), try posting him up", he'd go out and give it a shot.

We ran a "53" in the last game--the 5-man cross-screening for the 3-man--to post Fair up. I believe we scored on it. We probably should run it more often, especially since the play sees our best shooter feed the 3-man in the post. If the defense doubles-down off the shooter, and the shooter and 3-man read this, it should produce a good look for a three-pointer (which the shooter would still have to make). If a double comes from the 5-man's defender, then he has weak-side rebounding position. If no double comes, the 3-man has a one-on-one in the block area. I would take Fair in that spot over most defenders.

We used to run the play with Forth/McNeil screening for Melo with G-Mac feeding him. It was a thing of beauty to watch.

Speaking of that, I'm a huge CJ Fair fan, and believe that en route to silencing a lot of the false attributions about his game, he's demonstrated a lot of versatility. The one thing I'm surprised he doesn't show more often is passing--because I think the skill set is there.

Would love to see him isolated and receive the entry pass on either foul line extended area, giving him multiple options:

--Back his man down
--Reverse pivot and either drive left or square up for the mid-range jump shot
--Pass the ball out of the post if the defense collapses or if a double team occurs that frees up a shooter at the three point line
--Dump the ball to a weak side cutter underneath

His assist totals are pretty low, prompting some to identify him as a black hole, but I don't think that's really the case. I think he is an efficient scorer who rarely tries to do too much, and avoids mistakes. Would love to see him showcase his passing a bit more.

His percentages on two point field goals, three point field goals and free throws from his freshman year to his senior year, (so far). He's started every game.

2009-10 .567 / .400 / .634
2010-11 .500 / .333 / .842
2011-12 .473 / .350 / .775
2012-13 .512 / .289 / .743

If he was hitting .567 / .400 / .842 on the same number of shots that he's taken this season, he's have scored 411 points, or 17.1 per game. As it is he's still leading the team with 14.3 per game. But he's proven he can shoot better than this and the difference could have won us a couple more games.

I suspect two differences: Eve though he was a starter as a freshman, he was not a major offensive threat for that team and didn't get the defensive attention he gets now. But I also suspect that he's feeling the pressure to produce as a senior he didn't as a freshman and sophomore.

Love the kid to death, great program player, would be your DREAM third guard. He's steady, can do everything well, just can't do anything at a high enough to be counted on as your primary option.

These posts never go over well - lol.

Speaking of that, I'm a huge CJ Fair fan, and believe that en route to silencing a lot of the false attributions about his game, he's demonstrated a lot of versatility. The one thing I'm surprised he doesn't show more often is passing--because I think the skill set is there.

Would love to see him isolated and receive the entry pass on either foul line extended area, giving him multiple options:

--Back his man down
--Reverse pivot and either drive left or square up for the mid-range jump shot
--Pass the ball out of the post if the defense collapses or if a double team occurs that frees up a shooter at the three point line
--Dump the ball to a weak side cutter underneath

His assist totals are pretty low, prompting some to identify him as a black hole, but I don't think that's really the case. I think he is an efficient scorer who rarely tries to do too much, and avoids mistakes. Would love to see him showcase his passing a bit more.

I'm with you--Fair's versatility is outstanding, prompting my "man crush" on him. He can pass the ball when the defense dictates it. His passing in the second half of the first Nova game was excellent. He set up Rak and DC for dunks with his ability to read their slip off of screens. He also nicely set up MCW for a layup in the UConn game (off Shuffle), and later he made a solid read (though the pass was a second late) off of the same play to set up Brandon for three. Not his fault that Brandon missed the shot.

I like your idea for the multiple options at the free-throw-line extended. This is why I like him catching the ball at the elbow from time to time, too.

Not that I'm alone in this, but I see aspects of this versatility in Grant's game, too. As a result, he's my "other man crush."

Every year, Brandon has taken a larger % of shots when he's on the floor, and every year he's efficiency has gone down. (Ok, this year he's taking essentially the same amount of shots as last year, but whatever).

That shouldn't be a surprise, as SWC mentioned, you'd think that when you take a larger role in the offense you will probably be sacrificing some efficiency. His 3 point% is a career low; you'd think a guard who makes over 50 percent of his 2's would do better than a 52.4% true shooting.

Completely, 100% agree.

CJ has improved his jumper so he scores some there now too besides his "sneakiness" getting inside for put backs or weak side rebounds. He isn't a "threat" down low though. Fab wasn't a huge scorer, but he was a threat that the defense had to pay attention to including his ability to hit a short jumper. Before him, Ricky was a threat. This year, not so much. It even shows when our guards penetrate. They aren't trying to beat their man off the dribble per se. Many times, they are trying to split 2 defenders and then if they do that, get by a guy who has stepped out on them. 99% of the defenses attention is on the guards. It's not going to change because that it what the defense should do and our bigs aren't going to become threats over night. All the other reasons for our shooting woes are just excuses.

I think BTs reduction in efficiency is a product of the quality of the shots he is taking. In the past when he penetrated, defenses would have to stay honest with AO or RJ or even Fab last year. This left a pretty easy layup when BT could beat his man. This year there is help from the off ball defenders so the penetration moves arent as easy. As for his jump shots, when we dont have the inside presence to force BT or MCWs man to double down, an open jump shot turns into a contested one. Shooting percentages are bound to go down. I know I speak the obvious. The point is that its not all on BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom