Braswell article on syracuse.com | Syracusefan.com

Braswell article on syracuse.com

Good article; but our best conditioned forward is the guy who’s our 4th option in that position?

I think there is definitely an opportunity for him to play this year. If he hit outside shots, play good defense and rebound, he will.

In the front court, we know Marek, Quincy and Elijah are all going to play a lot. Two other guys will play regularly. If Braswell can score, he will be one of them.

Good article; but our best conditioned forward is the guy who’s our 4th option in that position?
By the sound of that article, plus being this far away from November, I'm not sure about that.

I think there is definitely an opportunity for him to play this year. If he hit outside shots, play good defense and rebound, he will.

In the front court, we know Marek, Quincy and Elijah are all going to play a lot. Two other guys will play regularly. If Braswell can score, he will be one of them.

Plus, Braswell gives us position flexibility if Marek has to play a lot at the 5.

Stays close to the team (him and Hughes seem like pals), dedicates himself to betterment. Already a big fan.

The 4 and the 5 are wide open. Hopefully Braswell is ready to take big minutes at the 4.

also noticed syracuse.com is now down to $5.99 a month.

but the dirty move they did to their base at 19.99 still stings. it really was 1 of the dumbest business moves of all time. they need back to free for 2019 and then to a freemium model or something like 2.99 per month.

i feel so bad for the talented people we have in our community working for them. they are dying fast if not already dead.

also noticed syracuse.com is now down to $5.99 a month.

but the dirty move they did to their base at 19.99 still stings. it really was 1 of the dumbest business moves of all time. they need back to free for 2019 and then to a freemium model or something like 2.99 per month.

i feel so bad for the talented people we have in our community working for them. they are dying fast if not already dead.

I have not paid and have read every article since they started charging.

Plus, Braswell gives us position flexibility if Marek has to play a lot at the 5.
Yes. A big determining factor as to where Marek plays is the level of play for the 3 centers this season. They are 205, 210 and 210 pounds, so there is no beef. But they are 25-30 pounds heavier than Marek.

If Braswell emerges as a solid player, it will probably take PT away from the centers, as JB will react by playing Marek more at center.

If one of the centers emerges as a solid player, it could make it hard for Braswell to get a lot of PT, even if he plays solidly. You know Elijah, Quincy and Marek are all going play a lot.

Braswell has a well rounded offensive skill set and, I think, is a very good, instinctual rebounder. He is obviously athletic and long.

The biggest issue I see, other than his strength, is his confidence. I would like to see what he can do when he is playing loose and not over thinking. He has the ability, IMO.

Yes. A big determining factor as to where Marek plays is the level of play for the 3 centers this season. They are 205, 210 and 210 pounds, so there is no beef. But they are 25-30 pounds heavier than Marek.

If Braswell emerges as a solid player, it will probably take PT away from the centers, as JB will react by playing Marek more at center.

If one of the centers emerges as a solid player, it could make it hard for Braswell to get a lot of PT, even if he plays solidly. You know Elijah, Quincy and Marek are all going play a lot.

I think Hughes is an interesting figure. He's a scorer but mostly as a shooter (~70% of his FG attempts were from three) so, at least from what we saw last year, he's a little one-dimensional that way. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing as the game tends to focus now on threes and layups, but it's certainly worth noting.

The other interesting thing is that we were a good defensive team and mediocre rebounding team two years ago (while Hughes was redshirting). Last year, with much of the same personnel, we were a terrible rebounding team and a decent but not great defensive team. Now there were other factors -- not a great year from Chukwu or Frank) but the other factor was that Hughes was added to the mix at 32+ mpg.

So none of this is to say Hughes either won't play a lot (he will) or that he's a bad player who won't get better (he's at least decent and could improve in Year 2). But, there is a big difference between playing 28-30 mins and playing 36-38 mpg. Add to that the fact that Guerrier, as promising as he is, is a freshman and Marek, as valuable as he is, will likely get into foul trouble at times (or maybe often) and you could see a world where Braswell finds his way into the rotation.

Hughes at around 30 mpg, Guerrier at around 32 and Marek around 34-35 would leave roughly 23 mpg up for grabs with, IMO, only Edwards being a potential factor. I don't know that it would happen but it's not at all crazy to think, IMO, that Braswell is a kid who could put up minutes numbers similar to those Southerland put up as a soph and jr. (~15 mpg) and, if he plays well, who knows, maybe a bit more.

I agree that JB tends to go with the veterans in most cases and tends to run a shorter rotation but there's really not enough returning to rule out guys like Braswell or Edwards (or Girard/Washington for that matter) from working their way into minutes.

I for one welcome the dawn of the Big Bad Bobby Braswell era.
I'll go out on a long limb and say that he's going to develop into a really great player.
That's based on nothing other than the way he moves on the court.

Caveat: I also thought Elvir Ovcina would be great as a 2 guard.

Freshmen are never in college shape

Last edited:
Kid looks stronger for sure. I think he could be a sleeper to have an impact. His minutes were small but when given a chance he showed very good quickness, a soft touch, limited wasted movement and I think my favorite thing, as a rebounder he is really fast on the second jump off his own miss. Something that Melo did a lot. Just in general being quicker off the floor going up paired with a soft touch. That was often Oshaes struggle. He would board well but wasnt fast going back up or in putting back his own misses.

His 3 and D paired with rebounding could make him a nice complement to having either Hughes or Quincy on the floor. Also would help with covering the corner three and keeping on the boards given there will be flaws at the 5 no matter who is out there.. Marek especially.