Breakdown of Scoop from theknicksblog.com | Syracusefan.com

Breakdown of Scoop from theknicksblog.com

For Scoop to succeed in the NBA, he needs to be the backup PG on a team with a structured offense. A team can't lean on Scoop to be able to come in and break down defenders on his own or start raining threes.

Also, his defense has to be very suspect at best. He is going to have to get in better shape and start using his size more on the defensive end. Even though he'll never have top end speed, he has to be able to keep himself in front of guys on the perimeter and be able to absorb contact.

One thing that they don't mention in that article is that wherever he goes, the media will probably love him. Articulate, smart and comfortable in front of a camera.

Fair assessment. Don't see it happening for Scoop. There are so many more athletic point guards out there. If I were an NBA GM, I would be eager to draft some one like MCW, if he were coming out.

one thing that gives scoop an advantage as a PG over Rautins and Devo is that he can break his man down off the dribble as well as finish in traffic. I was always amazed at how many times I could swear the shot was coming back and scoop would switch hands and finish. He was a great finisher and he is very effective with the scoop/teardrop shot.

His limitations are clearly consistancy with his shot, athleticism and speed. He does however have the build/strength to finish with contact. I don't think he can make it.. but he also is not the type of player who I would be shocked to see get picked up and have a journeyman career.. you just never know..

one thing that gives scoop an advantage as a PG over Rautins and Devo is that he can break his man down off the dribble as well as finish in traffic. I was always amazed at how many times I could swear the shot was coming back and scoop would switch hands and finish. He was a great finisher and he is very effective with the scoop/teardrop shot.

His limitations are clearly consistancy with his shot, athleticism and speed. He does however have the build/strength to finish with contact. I don't think he can make it.. but he also is not the type of player who I would be shocked to see get picked up and have a journeyman career.. you just never know..
Scoop over Rautins, yes, but I don't think Devo takes a back seat to Scoop when it comes to drible / drive and finishing in traffic.

Devo usually worked off a screen to attack the weakside or had to beat his man and the shotblocker to the rim. Scoop is bigger/stronger and able to attack the middle of the paint with both hands to finish. Devo was certainly the more animated and had more spectacular finishes but he was more of an outside shooter and opportunistic driver than a break you down guy. I think we all remember his scouting report from oak hill and his flashy approach but scoop was more effective in the paint. Devo had his shot rejected much more often than scoop. Devo was clearly a better shooter but not nearly as strong in the paint or as effective getting around shotblockers.

Devo usually worked off a screen to attack the weakside or had to beat his man and the shotblocker to the rim. Scoop is bigger/stronger and able to attack the middle of the paint with both hands to finish. Devo was certainly the more animated and had more spectacular finishes but he was more of an outside shooter and opportunistic driver than a break you down guy. I think we all remember his scouting report from oak hill and his flashy approach but scoop was more effective in the paint. Devo had his shot rejected much more often than scoop. Devo was clearly a better shooter but not nearly as strong in the paint or as effective getting around shotblockers.
1) Scoop is not bigger than Devo, if you're talking height anyway. Devo is 6-3, Scoop is 6-1.
2) We have had very few people in the last 25 years who could finish around the rim like Devo. I'd take him in the paint over Scoop any day.

1) Scoop is not bigger than Devo, if you're talking height anyway. Devo is 6-3, Scoop is 6-1.
2) We have had very few people in the last 25 years who could finish around the rim like Devo. I'd take him in the paint over Scoop any day.

scoop is 6'3 in shoes , devo 6'4. as for girth and upper body , its all scoop.

devo was a very good finisher but i completely disagree if you put it into the context of the nba. devo is not strong enough to finish around the rim in the nba.. scoop just might be able to do better. scoop also has an in between game.. devo was not as efficient in this regard.. devo is one of my favorite cuse players.. i am referring to this in the context of the nba, i think scoops game and ability to finish in traffic better translates then devo.. therefore i see him as a better finisher. its strength vs circus shots.. devo was great using the double clutch and up and under move.. that doesnt translate as well to the next level.. scoop was a stronger finisher.. more successful? its a tossup. either way its still a longshot for scoop

545054_10151153214894616_507343524_n.jpg

but he also is not the type of player who I would be shocked to see get picked up and have a journeyman career.. you just never know..

I am with 'Zoo on this key point . . . I think Scoop has a legitimate shot to make an NBA roster as a UFA this year, without having to go overseas and hope for a look later. The fact of the matter is that true point guards are scarce in the NBA right now, and a lot of teams in need of backup points have salary cap issues, so the ability to sign a kid (1) from a winning background, (2) with a proven skill set and (3) at a rookie minimum salary level will be appealing.

He always reminded me of a poor-man's Kyle Lowrie.

scoop is 6'3 in shoes , devo 6'4. as for girth and upper body , its all scoop.

devo was a very good finisher but i completely disagree if you put it into the context of the nba. devo is not strong enough to finish around the rim in the nba.. scoop just might be able to do better. scoop also has an in between game.. devo was not as efficient in this regard.. devo is one of my favorite cuse players.. i am referring to this in the context of the nba, i think scoops game and ability to finish in traffic better translates then devo.. therefore i see him as a better finisher. its strength vs circus shots.. devo was great using the double clutch and up and under move.. that doesnt translate as well to the next level.. scoop was a stronger finisher.. more successful? its a tossup. either way its still a longshot for scoop

I think Scoop is just smarter then Devo.

Lol at the comments. Someone is saying they should trade up to draft KJo ( which im not against, hes better than Landry Fields), however the reason stated is because he has the size and athleticism to guard.....Lebron!

I think Scoop is just smarter then Devo.

I never thought we'd see the day when the good folks of this board praise Scoop as a smart player. What a difference a year makes.

(For the record, I agree with that assessment; it's been true for the past three seasons.)

Lol at the comments. Someone is saying they should trade up to draft KJo ( which im not against, hes better than Landry Fields), however the reason stated is because he has the size and athleticism to guard.....Lebron!

Hahahahha can you imagine?

He is nowhere near what Fields is, as a player. Better shooter maybe, not as good a passer, ballhandler, and not close as a rebounder. Defensively, it remains to be seen on an NBA level. Athletically, it is closer than you may think. Fields possesses a 41" vertical and very good agility.

I always wondered where this idea that KJo is so athletic ever came from...? Average at best.. below average for NBA.

I always wondered where this idea that KJo is so athletic ever came from...? Average at best.. below average for NBA.

Early in his career he seemed pretty explosive getting to the rim. Hell, earlier this year he took off in one of our exhibition or early season games from just a bit past the free throw line on a dunk - it was pretty jaw dropping considering the distance he covered. (I think he may have missed it tbh, but it was close, and he needed some serious hangtime to get there). He seemed to get less athletic every year- injuries maybe.

I am with 'Zoo on this key point . . . I think Scoop has a legitimate shot to make an NBA roster as a UFA this year, without having to go overseas and hope for a look later. The fact of the matter is that true point guards are scarce in the NBA right now, and a lot of teams in need of backup points have salary cap issues, so the ability to sign a kid (1) from a winning background, (2) with a proven skill set and (3) at a rookie minimum salary level will be appealing.

Good post.

Early in his career he seemed pretty explosive getting to the rim. Hell, earlier this year he took off in one of our exhibition or early season games from just a bit past the free throw line on a dunk - it was pretty jaw dropping considering the distance he covered. (I think he may have missed it tbh, but it was close, and he needed some serious hangtime to get there). He seemed to get less athletic every year- injuries maybe.

Watching that recently-posted Scoop highlight tape, I was impressed by how easily sophomore Joseph got to the rim. He was no Wes, but he got off the floor pretty quickly. He must've been playing hurt this year. That blown layup against Ohio State is going to haunt me for a long time.

I think Devo was a better, and certainly a more clutch, outside shooter. He also had an amazing left hand high finish inside. Those abilities aside, Scoop is a better NBA prospect. He's got good size and strength for a point, Eidelin-like inside craftiness, and he can finish in traffic against pressure from both sides of the floor. With the right team, I think Scoop could come off the bench and dime guys all day by penetrating and kicking or lobbing. His most obvious weaknesses have been pointed out .. speed and quickness on D. I think scouts will be paying attention to whether he can stay in front of the ball against other NBA prospects. If he can move his feet well enough on D to raise some eyebrows, he might get a shot as a UFA.

I think Scoop will get drafted by the Knicks if Melo wants him to be! Stars always have say in picks especially second rounders who biggest job is to practice hard and not be a problem in the locker room or off the court. Image is everything in the NBA and Scoop is stellar in that regard. The truth is outside of the top 50-80 players in the world there are 500-600 guys that are so close in skill set there are basically a toss-up, but there are only 450 jobs in the NBA. Also the NBA hasn't had all the best players in the world for about 15 years or so. The starters on most of the top team in the European leagues and all better than the bench guys (outside the rotation) in the NBA. These player can make more money in Europe (especially with the exchange rate) and the get to play, instead of sitting the bench in the NBA plus the life style is better in Europe, they only play 2 games a week and it's not the grind of the NBA with travel being regional and the season being shorter.

I question his athletic shape. Seems he can lose a few pounds.