Breanna Stewart Continues Success | Syracusefan.com

Breanna Stewart Continues Success

Bulldog04

All American
Congrats to Stewie who wins WNBA finals mvp tonight. Im born and raised here in Cuse, and I honestly can’t think of a more accomplished athlete to ever be from our city than her. She literally receives no accolades or acknowledgement of what she deserves from local press. I don’t understand how a Cuse b-ball press conference can receive more attention than her and what she has accomplished the last decade. It truly is unreal and hope she continues success, im just trying to give credit where credit is due. Because she is the best athlete ever to come out of Cuse...

Congrats to Stewie who wins WNBA finals mvp tonight. Im born and raised here in Cuse, and I honestly can’t think of a more accomplished athlete to ever be from our city than her. She literally receives no accolades or acknowledgement of what she deserves from local press. I don’t understand how a Cuse b-ball press conference can receive more attention than her and what she has accomplished the last decade. It truly is unreal and hope she continues success, im just trying to give credit where credit is due. Because she is the best athlete ever to come out of Cuse...

U obviously don't still live in Syracuse. She get's plenty of press locally.

Breanna will likely go down as one of the most successful athletes of all time. 4 college ships, Olympic gold, pro ships, MVPs at every level... just an amazing career, straight out of CNS.

Breanna will likely go down as one of the most successful athletes of all time. 4 college ships, Olympic gold, pro ships, MVPs at every level... just an amazing career, straight out of CNS.
It is easy to take what she does each year for granted, and that is not fair to her.

Great credit to her for working her way back from a serious injury. It is amazing what she does an a continual basis, especially given that she was not blessed with a very strong build.

She is getting into Bill Russell/Kareem Abdul-Jabbar/Michael Jordan territory now. Heck, she has already done things none of those guys ever did!

I think the major reasons she gets little local press despite being from Syracuse is two fold. 1. She didn't go to Syracuse so the Syracuse fan base really doesn't have any vested interest and secondly and really the main reason is that its Womens pro b-ball. There just isn't really any sort of local following for the women's game, its essentially non-existent. I doubt 99% of the locals even know the WNBA was playing right now, I know I didn't until I happened to see something on ESPN.com in passing.

If she has another healthy four or five years, it's hard to imagine her not being considered the greatest women's player of all time.

I didn't know this until reading about it recently, but she dealt with a lot of sexual abuse when she was a young girl. She used basketball as a motivating factor to overcome it.

I think she gets plenty of respect and acknowledgement. You have to consider the fan base, too, though. She’s a phenominal athlete. At the same time, not many people watch women’s basketball.

I think she gets plenty of respect and acknowledgement. You have to consider the fan base, too, though. She’s a phenominal athlete. At the same time, not many people watch women’s basketball.

Agreed. Though I think if she had gone to SU, there’d be quite a few more Syracusans following it and following her career more closely. It’s too bad that she didn’t. I think they were in the title game one of those years - with her they probably get a national title and the program is probably taken to another level popularity wise.

When i drive home from Big Don's Mini-Golf on Route 31, i drive down South Bay Road. There's a small road to the left that leads to the residential development where she grew up and used to dribble the ball around the neighborhood. Each time I pass it, I think "The greatest women's basketball player in the world- maybe ever- grew up right over there." It still amazes me.

If she retired right now, she'd be a lock for the Basketball Hall of Fame.