brewster and jones | Syracusefan.com

brewster and jones

kcsu

Living Legend
Are both Brewster and Jones 3 to play 2 guys and can they redshirt. In looking at Brewster he may be a little light to play this year and given we have Sharpe and Simmons as speed rush guys we may want to save him. Same with Jones as Bromley Crume Sloan and Boatman should make a nice four man rotation so maybe we can afford to RS Jones. Thoughts?

Hard to imagine Brewster redshirting--wasn't he first team? I'm guessing that he plays a big role this year, either as a DE or as a hybrid OLB / pass rusher.

Wouldn't have an issue with Jones redshirting.

Hard to imagine Brewster redshirting--wasn't he first team? I'm guessing that he plays a big role this year, either as a DE or as a hybrid OLB / pass rusher.

Wouldn't have an issue with Jones redshirting.
Agreed although he is really light i dont see him as an every down DE

Pierce-Brewster will be an impact player this coming season for Syracuse.

Agreed although he is really light i dont see him as an every down DE
You can never have too many pass rushing studs, I have no problem with him being in on passing downs and a guy like Sharpe playing running downs. That keeps them both fresh and allows them to be even better at what they both do best.

I'm anxious to see what Schaefer can do with some guys who can get after the QB, without having to always rely on bringing the house.

Pierce-Brewster will be an impact player this coming season for Syracuse.
Exactly. He will be needed there. Not sure on Zian, as our DT's are solid. I don't see either redshirting though

JPB will start opposite Robinson imo. Goggins will move inside and be used as a hybrid DE/NT.
DE rotation- Robinson, JPB, Sharpe, Simmons, Goggins and maybe Garrick.
DT/NT- Crume, Bromley, Goggins, Jones, Boatman.

If, Garrick does not qualify, there is a HUGE concern to me, on the size of DEs.

JPB will start opposite Robinson imo. Goggins will move inside and be used as a hybrid DE/NT.
DE rotation- Robinson, JPB, Sharpe, Simmons, Goggins and maybe Garrick.
DT/NT- Crume, Bromley, Goggins, Jones, Boatman.

If, Garrick does not qualify, there is a HUGE concern to me, on the size of DEs.

You don't think we see Welsh anywhere? He looked good in the Spring game.

You don't think we see Welsh anywhere? He looked good in the Spring game.

I was not there, but I heard the o-line was awful. I was always under the impression he was not athletic enough to play outside and not big/strong enough to play inside. Still think his best position may have been C/G. I would be thrilled if he did make an impact but I do not believe it to be likely. He may dominate back-ups and walk-on tackles but not Big East starters.

Scout and Hudl have MPB listed at 230-235. Considering those measurables are however many months old, it would not be surprising if he started the season between 240-250.

I was not there, but I heard the o-line was awful. I was always under the impression he was not athletic enough to play outside and not big/strong enough to play inside. Still think his best position may have been C/G. I would be thrilled if he did make an impact but I do not believe it to be likely. He may dominate back-ups and walk-on tackles but not Big East starters.

Allow me to just throw two-cents out there in regards to us playing bigger DEs in the Goggins and Welsh mold. We have had some very athletic guys line up at DE over the years. Since Freeney though, who has really lit it up from the outside? McClain for about half a season before OCs adjusted and began shutting him out? Chandler, who never really stuffed the sack totals and IMO will end up a much better pro than college player? Off the top of my head those are the top guys.

Nobody loves to see a guy like JPP or Strahan completely change a game due to their explosion off the edge, but until we start seeing some of our speed ends fulfill their pass-rushing potential, I don't have a problem with using a bigger line that can crunch the opposition's run game by itself and frees up Schafer to have as much freedom as he wishes with his blitzers. Especially if the payoff is only a couple less sacks, since the speed guys haven't been getting a ton anyway.

Note... this is a general rant and not directed towards any of our current high-upside rushers. I really like the thought of what Simmons and Brewster can bring, and was very hopefull Brian Johnson would join them on campus as well. I'm just saying if the payoff is only an additional sack here and there when they get their shot at the job, then it's not worth it to me if they are getting blown off the ball. I think the staff might agree as well, given the guys like Manley, Brantley, and Hilliard, and others than we were involved with last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom