Brissett is the Key | Syracusefan.com

Brissett is the Key

longislandcuse

Living Legend
I fully agree that if Frank plays well, we're a pretty good team, and when he doesn't, well...yea.

However, I'm not holding out hope for him to be Battle's consistent running mate. I am holding out hope Brissett can.

Oshae shows incredible potential but needs to be much more consistent. If/when that comes, Frank can be a distributor letting Battle/Brissett do the heavy lifting with Moyer/Dolezaj/Chukwu/Sidibe attacking the boards. Until then, we are still way too reliant on Frank to initiate offense.

About half his bad plays last night came from him forcing the action because we inexplicably do nothing while he dribbles halfway between the 3 point line and halfcourt. Then the shot clock dips and he has to run a PnR with a big that everybody and their mother knows can't do anything with it until the rolling man gets within a few feet of the basket.

Since we don't have shooters to spread the floor, we have to focus on what we do have. Two guys who can ISO and create against anyone and the most aggressive rebounding frontcourt in the ACC.

He’s an enigma to me. At times I’m ready to proclaim him the best player on the court. Others I’m screaming at him to stop screwing up. He’s the best pound for pound rebounder I’ve seen since DC. He can handle the rock. He has a great stroke. So many positives.

Last edited:
I fully agree that if Frank plays well, we're a pretty good team, and when he doesn't, well...yea.

However, I'm not holding out hope for him to be Battle's consistent running mate. I am holding out hope Brissett can.

Oshae shows incredible potential but needs to be much more consistent. If/when that comes, Frank can be a distributor letting Battle/Brissett do the heavy lifting with Moyer/Dolezaj/Chukwu/Sidibe attacking the boards. Until then, we are still way too reliant on Frank to initiate offense.

About half his bad plays last night came from him forcing the action because we inexplicably do nothing while he dribbles halfway between the 3 point line and halfcourt. Then the shot clock dips and he has to run a PnR with a big that everybody and their mother knows can't do anything with it until the rolling man gets within a few feet of the basket.

Since we don't have shooters to spread the floor, we have to focus on what we do have. Two guys who can ISO and create against anyone and the most aggressive rebounding frontcourt in the ACC.

That play where Battle and Brissett start under the basket, run way too far around the pick that is barely being set, and come out the three point line continues to be useless. There isn't enough separation for them to be able to receive the pass, if Frank makes it. We need some new variations because everyone who has played us before knows exactly what's coming. And then Frank continues to dribble...

That play where Battle and Brissett start under the basket, run way too far around the pick that is barely being set, and come out the three point line continues to be useless. There isn't enough separation for them to be able to receive the pass, if Frank makes it. We need some new variations because everyone who has played us before knows exactly what's coming. And then Frank continues to dribble...
It's maddening. Part of the reason I'm not as hard on him as most here. Our offense puts him on an island all the time with these sets that provide nothing.

He’s a true frosh. I think it speaks more about the other talent around him that we are expecting so much from him and/or carry some big load.

But, yeah, he looks the part and just needs to be more consistent. It will come. I agree with the idea of let him attack more and get the ball out of Frank’s hands. Oshae I think is even quicker than Frank. That one drive and finish with the left hand in traffic on the left side of the hoop was awesome. He has a lot of potential in JB’s system which is a lot of ISO stuff and not much scheme.

He’s a true frosh. I think it speaks more about the other talent around him that we are expecting so much from him and/or carry some big load.

But, yeah, he looks the part and just needs to be more consistent. It will come. I agree with the idea of let him attack more and get the ball out of Frank’s hands. Oshae I think is even quicker than Frank. That one drive and finish with the left hand in traffic on the left side of the hoop was awesome. He has a lot of potential in JB’s system which is a lot of ISO stuff and not much scheme.

Would love to see him with his back to the basket once or twice...

Frank struggles anytime the screeners man hedges him out. If he can’t get the corner he doesn’t know what to do.

Frank struggles anytime the screeners man hedges him out. If he can’t get the corner he doesn’t know what to do.

If his handle were slightly better, he should try to split that screen if he has a touch of room. I don't disagree with your assessment at all though. This is what we get when we recruit for the zone first, then positional needs second.

He’s an enigma to me. At times I’m ready to proclaim him the best player on the court. Others I’m screaming at him to stop screwing up. He’s the best pound for pound rebounder I’ve seen since DC. He can handle the rock. He has a great stroke. So many positives.

The only time I've gotten frustrated with Brissett this year was when he got carried away shooting threes. Other than that, with the heart and hustle he shows, I can't say I've done a lot of screaming for him to stop screwing up. Love the kid's game. It's just amazing the rebounding this year. For those that know the game better than I do, is it just this team hustles more that the rebounding is better?

The only time I've gotten frustrated with Brissett this year was when he got carried away shooting threes. Other than that, with the heart and hustle he shows, I can't say I've done a lot of screaming for him to stop screwing up. Love the kid's game. It's just amazing the rebounding this year. For those that know the game better than I do, is it just this team hustles more that the rebounding is better?
Brissett rebounds well because he's big, physical and his athleticism is off the charts. The rest of the team is just huge...and yea, they hustle for sure.

Brissett will have an up and down regular season, we'll make the tournament as a 10 or 11 seed, make a cinderella run to the elite 8, and brissett will go mad in the 2nd half to spark a huge comeback leading us to the final 4, then will declare for the draft based on his elite 8 coming out party.

And I'd be fine with that.

agree that he can be a bit enigmatic, especially when settling for a 3 instead of getting to the basket... but my goodness what a rebounder he is and he's actually a really good defender, too, especially for a frosh in JB's zone...
look, he seemingly had a "meh" sort of game last night but all of a sudden the box score shows 16 and 10 - I think that tells you the impact he's having on this team

That play? Heck, that's been our "offense" since the beginning of time. If the three isn't there off the curl, then it ends up a 1 on 1 iso and a tough shot. Last year it was AWIII, this year Battle that has been making more of those than missing. It's so frustrating!!!!!

That play? Heck, that's been our "offense" since the beginning of time. If the three isn't there off the curl, then it ends up a 1 on 1 iso and a tough shot. Last year it was AWIII, this year Battle that has been making more of those than missing. It's so frustrating!!!!!

And it's a really difficult play if you truly think about it. Guy comes barreling out from under the hoop hoping to receive a pass, turn his body nearly 180 degrees, stop his momentum from taking him further away from the basket, get his shoulders and feet square, and jump straight up to knock down the shot, all before the defender can close out.

I'm liking the play where we get a big to pick at the top, Frank gets doubled and looks to reverse the ball back to Battle for an open three. That's a new wrinkle I don't recall from before.

And it's a really difficult play if you truly think about it. Guy comes barreling out from under the hoop hoping to receive a pass, turn his body nearly 180 degrees, stop his momentum from taking him further away from the basket, get his feet, and jump straight up to knock down the shot, all before the defender can close out.

I'm liking the play where we get a big to pick at the top, Frank gets doubled and looks to reverse the ball back to Battle for an open three. That's a new wrinkle I don't recall from before.
Yeah...and having a player like Marek who moves the ball very quickly is a new things for us as well. Probably part of the reason we all love his passing ability and Bball IQ so much!

Brissett has a solid all-around game to go with his outstanding rebounding -- amazing for a frosh.

I don't see him (or Tyus) as the key to the season. Those two have been solid, and consistent contributors.

The key is getting better help for those two, and Frank. Defenses will concentrate on them. The key is how much the others develop. More finishes for Chukwu. 6 to 8 points from Marek, or something from Moyer (not expecting a repeat of last night's production). A healthy Sidibe.

This is 100% how I see him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom